THR Bickypeg's new hip

Here's a few things to look into @bickypeg

A sample of HB WI here

Calder Valley Voices singing for fun

Secret Singers in Todmorden
I know several people who love singing in this group

Singing for Everybody Mytholmroyd

Last edited:
Oh fab @Apricot ! I knew of the Royd choir one. Aren't I too old for WI now though? Had a feeling there was some controversy on the local Facebook recently? It's tiresome being reliant on OH for transport but my fault for not learning to drive.
I used to love doing WEA courses some years ago - usually historical but some art/architecture and once Anglo Saxon. But it's all creative writing now round here.
Sorry American bonesmarties- this must look like code! (And it's not social - it's all therapeutic :angel: )
Enjoying the fireworks on the hills opposite - but it makes me too nostalgic. I love Bonfire Night!

@CricketHip it was a mammoth job and much mopping and bending and wiping! Why did we leave it so long? I suppose because it was always the job of the last boy to leave home! Probably the exercise did me good...Was only Beef Madras (mostly out of a jar) and what I've called Spicy Beef as I put so many bits and pieces in it's absolutely unique.. Straight in the freezer now. To be extracted when we're too lazy to cook.

Oh, dear, @bickypeg, online shopping can be dangerous, especially when our defenses are down at 2:00 AM! You are really a night owl, aren't you? Were you up because you couldn't sleep and it was too uncomfortable to lie in bed, or were you simply not sleepy and hadn't made it to bed yet? I can't imagine being up that late but I have NO night owl tendencies whatsoever. I hope you have a lovely Sunday, doing whatever you like--and day with decent weather, of course. Cheers!

Was Christmas shopping online at 2.00 am. And enjoying Michael Palin in N Korea on audible.

Hey, there ya go! I'm sure you found some joy in doing that. Nothing wrong with crossing people off the list early on and if it kept the wicked murderous woman chasing you up the hill away it served a dual purpose. Maybe you should write a book in those wee hours when you can't sleep. You have an active imagination and a wicked sense of humor....it could be interesting. :yes:
Hugs and best wishes for a peaceful evening and a great Monday! :friends:
@bickypeg

Welcome to the dark side. You'll feel a little groggy over the next day or two. I found it took me for ever to urinate, but once I did it flowed out of me. Drink lots of water, it will help flush you out and hydrate you. Blood pressure can be low and if it is then you may find it difficult standing. I had initial low blood pressure and nearly fainted when stood up. But it passed and I was up and about.

Take it easy and listen to your body.
Hello, my blood pressure was super low also. When PT got me up to walk after surgery I told them after a few minutes I was going to faint, they put me into a wheelchair and I fainted as they were getting me in bed.

I don't mind waking early even in winter @Layla and @Barbaraj as I've got used to it since the ops. And I'm better for getting up and moving as soon as possible to get rid of the stiffness. But I hate not being able to drop off which is unusual and I don't like waking around 2.00 though that's usually for a loo visit so kind of desirable. Have given up on the classical music station because of the raucous adverts but listened to Wind in the Willows last night which was just right!
A couple of grumpy very stiff mornings as again misty cool and damp. But lunch out yesterday at youngest's local who's based at home for the next week with much of the family. All of them getting very excited about Christmas so carrying us along with it! Been very low key here since our daughter in law passed but we have a 2 year old to amuse now so will make an effort. And I do love buying presents! Nice to have lots of conversations going on and catching up on theatrical gossip. Husband is not a chatterer at all. Which might be why I talk so much to random strangers when I'm out. And on here of course...
(Love the selfie of me as it's so unlike! Almost equivalent to old movie stars smearing Vaseline on the lens)

Attachments

• 20191103_154139.jpg
    20191103_154139.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 20191103_154436.jpg
    20191103_154436.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 233
  • 20191103_154153.jpg
    20191103_154153.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 20191103_161811.jpg
    20191103_161811.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 226
Ah, yes, @bickypeg--mayonnaise photo shots! Every woman of a certain age loves those! I never take selfies as my photo lens clearly does NOT have a "softening" lens and the results can be depressing and shocking! But nice photos--even though it's early morning here in the PNW that food shot looks very tasty and my mouth is watering! And such a nice looking family! Have a great week ahead--cheers!

Good day to you, @bickypeg It's a clear and cold start to my day but I'm still loafing around in my bathrobe, dreading getting dressed a wee bit as it's Pilates class day and I'm bracing myself. I know it's good for me, if I'm sensible and don't overdo it, but that doesn't mean I have to love it! When I get home from that I am thinking I might bake some chewy oatmeal cookies for myself. If I do a small batch it means I can't be a total pig and isn't oatmeal healthy despite the lavish butter and brown sugar the recipe requires? Hope the start of your week is going well, and you're able to get out daily and do something enjoyable. Happy Tuesday!

Just breezing by to say hello. Your thread always makes me smile @bickypeg Hope you get some good restorative sleep this week. Cures all ills it seems. Wish it wasn’t so hard to come by.

Another differently busy week but good so far. A bit irritable on Monday but OH and I turned out the big bedroom. Much bending, wiping down skirting boards (what!?), sorting out clothes & getting rid of a large unattractive chest amongst other things. Found I had an unbelievably large collection of pyjamas. Of course they never wear out but what was I thinking hanging onto so many?Anyway had a cull, and some were a bit tight anyway so easy to throw. Very therapeutic in the end. Did wonder if I'd joined the ODIC which is especially easy if you do a lot of busy things in a temper..But all was fine the next day.
Still having poor nights, suffering even more from waking with a dry mouth and having to drink but trying not to get neurotic about it. Fairly certain I have Sjogrens syndrome. Seeing a GP in a few weeks but there's not much to be done about it apart from treating the symptoms. Hey ho.
Hairdressers which is always nice yesterday and got up today feeling great! No rhyme nor reason about it - was frosty and sunny to begin but warmer and wet later. So wonderful though to move about and not consider your body at all. May it come to us all...
Unreasonably thrilled that I was able to get into a pair of leggings size 14 which I used to wear. Thought they might be too tight around the knees but they were surprisingly comfortable. Worn with very long top of course! Went to our new nice cafe and managed to collar one of their leather armchairs.
Watching more of The King on Netflix tonight. Lots of nice young men running about with swords...

Attachments

• 20191106_131006.jpg
    20191106_131006.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 20191106_125447.jpg
    20191106_125447.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 234
Hey there, bickypeg :wave:
Cleaning and getting rid of things that are no longer useful to you is such a great feeling! That's going to be a Winter project of mine. Going through every drawer, cabinet, armoire and storage bin in my home and keeping, tossing or donating. Tiring and not any fun but oh so fulfilling in the end!

I'm sorry you continue to experience those restless nights, I hope your GP is able to figure it out at your appt in a couple weeks.

Good news on the hair, having a good day and fitting into the leggings! Woohoo. Hope you enjoyed watchy the hunky sword wielding men running around last night.
A wonderful Thursday to you!
@bickypeg

Hi, @bickypeg, sounds like you've been satisfyingly busy--cleaning stuff out is a chore but so satisfying in the end if you're actually able to get rid of stuff. Cleaned out spaces feel tidier and more spacious and one feels very smug and virtuous. And, yes, finding a garment that you'd "lost" and now found and it fits--great luck! Sorry about continuing issues with sleep and waking up with a dry mouth sounds unpleasant--here's hoping the doctor can sort it out and suggest things that will improve your situation. But nice to read that otherwise you're feeling pretty good, and forgetting to even think about your body relentlessly all day is HUGE progress--that's where we all want to get, I believe. Hurray for you, and happy Thursday!

Bit edgy these days posting anything as I'm such an old bonesmartie and do hope I don't put any of the newer hippies by tales of woe. But it is a journey, sometimes feels like one step forward two back - but then I think you must be honest with yourself. I know I'm doing far more than I was capable of even a month ago. Trips to the theatre, cinema, on buses and trains unaccompanied, cooking for big family meals, trying things on in clothes shops, even a bit of gardening... What do I still yearn for - a really good night's sleep, more stamina so I don't always have to break things up into chunks, less irritability especially in the mornings, not having to think about where I put my feet when out and about, avoiding crowds as I'm frightened of being bumped into, not groaning when getting up and moving first thing, going upstairs one foot after another, not still sometimes needing painkillers early in the day, confidence when trying something new, walking up hills. Not unobtainable I hope...:praying:

I feel the same way about posting @bickypeg Almost have left several times, but I would miss all of you. Almost feel like I need to add to the bottom of my messages. Don’t worry, very abnormal recovery, so as not to scare newbie hipsters.

I too am looking forward to the forgotten hip I’ve heard others talk about here. Especially at night. Blissful rolling about without and niggles or reminders would be heavenly. We will get there! Fingers crossed for Christmas!

@bickypeg and @Fit4Family you both are just doing recovery your way. No two are the same, some take a little longer than others. It shows the newbies that they are just fine if they aren't out there running marathons at two weeks and such.

We have all come a long way with way more healing in the future. While for me, the hip itself really isn't a but deal but still getting those niggles, zips and zaps, still want the occasional nap, all temporary. You are right, we will get there, in our own time. :friends:

I am just having a little catchup reading all my old fellow hippies posts. I have missed chatting on here and missed all the lovely supportive fellow bone smarties. I have found that It's a long slow process this healing lark.

Bit of a follow up - busy day here yesterday for the granddaughter 's nearly second birthday. Such fun but tiring and my how my big boys eat! And their ladies! And constantly! Thinking of just doing a buffet for Christmas Day and letting them forage.
But went to bed early, woke at 3.40 and drank some camomile tea from the thermos, and slept until 7 ! Unheard of! Also dreamed I was climbing lots of poles to get to some museum exhibition and I could do it and everyone else couldn't! Not often feeling smug in my dreams...
Lovely frosty morning but knees aching a bit so decided not to do the planned train trip but a walk round the local park after a couple of paracetamol. Just one day at a time I think @Fit4Family. No shame in it.

Attachments

• 20191117_114822.jpg
    20191117_114822.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 202
So glad you got some good sleep and showed up those poor folks in your dreams...:) :-) (:
That sweet granddaughter is just as cute as a button!:roseshwr:
There are many things you mention that weren't all perfectly sorted shy of my year hipversary...
more stamina so I don't always have to break things up into chunks
This is often a better way...our body IS in charge.
not having to think about where I put my feet when out and about, avoiding crowds as I'm frightened of being bumped into,
I remember.
not groaning when getting up and moving first thing,
I still do this after a particularly busy day before...age is also probably starting to play into this a bit...
going upstairs one foot after another,
Maybe not this far out but I did toddler step it for quite a while. Some strengthening and practicing can help...but I also didnt mind just being safe as my legs could be a tad unpredictable.
confidence when trying something new, walking up hills.
It will come...lots of improvement well after one year.
Not unobtainable I hope...:praying:
Keep the faith dear @bickypeg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker