THR Bickypeg's new hip

Thank you for thinking of me ladies! @Layla @Barbaraj It means a lot! I did indeed have a wander along the river and round the churchyard in the pretty village where I ventured after my first hip was done. And it was so much easier! I was careful because a lot of muddy paths and sodden leaves about. Unreasonably excited by finding some lovely fat conkers- especially as I understand horse chestnuts may soon be extinct? Do Americans have conker fights? I did suddenly feel 'ok that's enough' so had the sense to return home. And over to see the eldest and watched a film that was much too exciting for me!
Friday I was feeling very restless but by the time we organised ourselves to drive to town to drop off bookshelves at the charity shop it started to rain again. But managed to get my steps in somehow that day. And theatre in the evening. It was very enjoyable and nice that they did some newer stuff like Hamilton. And husband enjoyed it! Though he insisted in calling at the huge hardware/DIY store on the way to buy some brackets...
Slept like a log apart from one loo trip but woke late and feeling very odd. A feeling of doom and as though I might be very ill. Though absolutely no pain or even discomfort . It was unnerving and even frightens me now a bit looking back. Anyway did my exercises and ate breakfast though I wasn't hungry and swallowed lots of vitamins then watched a TV comedy at 9 in the morning!
Went to the local park late morning and had a lovely walk round the lake as the thick fog had lifted, a coffee in the cafe and then round the house. Again remember thinking how much more agile than I was in May. Wonderful!
Foolishly decided then to go to an enormous supermarket to pick up a couple of things but again thought oh no! And staggered to the entrance. (Do families make a day of it in there?!)
But no ill effects from all the exercise tho so cross to find Fitbit was dead!
Had no ibuprofen today as I felt so odd this morning but felt none the worse without them. Do hope it means I've turned a corner. But slightly afraid of going to bed...

Attachments

• 20191003_124135.jpg
    20191003_124135.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20191005_160136_410.jpg
    IMG_20191005_160136_410.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20191005_160859_123.jpg
    IMG_20191005_160859_123.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 247
Hi, @bickypeg--I hope the "weird" feeling of impending doom (that sounds really strange and unnerving!) has passed and the rest of your day went pleasantly. Loved the pictures--you do live in a lovely part of the world, lots of interesting places to stroll and lots of cool stuff to look at! Hope you're having a good weekend overall. Nice to read about a good, hard sleep with just one bathroom break--that is always such a banner event for most of us. Sleep is so good and restorative! If Americans have conker fights, they're not having them in my neck of the woods!

@Barbaraj strangely the daughter-out-law was just over and said she'd woken last night from a dreadful nightmare and her mother had complained of the same. Perhaps I had one but was for once sleeping so deeply that it didn't actually wake me? Clutching at straws here but it's better than thinking I'm heading for a depression.

@bickypeg hoping it was just an unsettling dream. You do live in a beautiful area. The conkers on the attachment look just like the buckeyes that come off trees in Ohio and the only thing we, as kids, ever did with them was throw them at each other!
:heehee:

Glad you enjoyed your walk around the church yard and along the river.
The pictures are pretty. Thanks for sharing. Do be careful on those muddy paths with wet leaves. My mom just slipped and fell on the same recently and broke her ankle and really hurt her knee.

The daughter-out-law :rotfl: Is that a typo, or a funny?
You do have a wicked sense of humor, bickypeg, I've mentioned that you often make me laugh.

Not sure what that feeling of impending doom was and how strange close aquaintances were equally disturbed by something last night. I'm inclined to think it was a bad dream you don't recall just as Elf mentioned above. I'd try not to dwell on it, nor give much thought to it leading to depression. Wondering if listening to some quiet calming music at night before dozing off would help?

Wishing you sweet dreams this evening :yawn::sleep:
@bickypeg

Really hope you have turned the corner @bickypeg Sounds very promising that you don’t notice any difference without anti inflammatory meds. Your area for walking is so pretty. Never heard of conkers. Spell check hasn’t either lol, keeps autocorrecting.

Hope you start feeling better and better each day! Walking truly is ticket for me. Keeping me oiled and moving. Happy Sunday.

I'm still a bit distressed that no one has heard of conkers. I know the British contingent will have...Did you know also a bowl of fresh chestnuts keeps moths away from your clothes? And before I get ticked off for wandering from THRs it's really good stretching picking them from the woodland floor...
@Layla as all my sons tend to what we used to call 'live in sin' before marriage we just got into the habit of referring to the respective parents as outlaws! And don't worry I am ridiculously careful of where and how I walk. I'm more likely to trip at home as I move about. Did an elegant recovery tripping over the beanbag I rest my feet on. Really frightened me.
Had a restless night's sleep and tried Audible and classical music too. But woke feeling reasonably refreshed and no odd mood thank goodness. Wet outside so don't know if I'll get out but I did such a lot of walking yesterday.

:wave: bickypeg. Lovely narratives of your outings ... thank you for sharing. I can't wait to get out and about freely.

I of course remember Conkers. I never played the game but know the tree/nut ... and @Elf1 is correct about Buckeyes (Hubby is from Ohio).

Enjoy your Sunday, albeit perhaps indoors.

Domingo cat.jpeg Izzy xx

I may have spoken too soon @Izabel. Do hope it doesn't put you off! Feeling increasingly uncomfortable as the day has gone on and just took 2 paracetamol and later 2 ibuprofen. Then the whole cycle of 'Why? Did I do too much? Will I ever be right? How fed up I am!' And then foolishly googled and nasty words like necrosis, atrophy, long-term come up. Plus the contradictory advice : stretch, don't stretch; take NSAIDs, don't take them; lose weight and exercise, rest; walk - but not up hills; steroid injections help, don't help...
What would I do without Bonesmart for offloading? But I must be sensible. If the pills help I'll take them, and I must walk, as I know once I get going I can feel the muscles getting looser and happier.
Forgive my moaning to you - you've been through so much and are so brave, kind and optimistic!:angel:

Yes its remarkably damp and rainy in the Calder Valley at the moment. It takes away any sense of cheer and brightness. On the bright side though no sign of any repeat flooding as yet. The floods seem to be avoiding our area at the moment.
One thing that can be helpful if you think muscles are a bit sore is using a heating pad for a bit.
I admire your determination to keep up your steps per day. Two sets of surgery is a lot in a short space of time. You're doing well.

I know Conkers, too! Ohio born and raised.. but we call them Buckeyes. O-H-!
But never fought with them..:flabber: on the farm we had corn cob fights, though..
I can see you improving almost daily and I enjoy reading your updates.
Have a great Sunday.

A bowl of fresh Chestnuts keeping moths away from clothes?
Who knew? :shrug:
You're full of lots of fun facts, bickypeg! Good to hear you're extra cautious when walking outdoors, the thought of tripping sure does feel more frightening after THR. I think twice about where I'm going / walking in Winter now with the ice and snow.

Sorry you had a restless night's sleep but good news there was no repeat of the oppressive feeling you described yesterday.

Please cut yourself more slack, dear bickypeg. I believe your body is still healing. It's been only 8 months since your latest surgery and the fact that you experienced two major surgeries within a little over six months is playing into your recovery as well. Your efforts are great, and I believe you'll get there. It's going to require a little more patience and time.

I hope the sky breaks open to sunshine this afternoon so you're able to get out for a bit. Enjoy the afternoon and evening!
@bickypeg

Hiya @Apricot you're back ! Thank you for recommending Ali to me - she's brilliant! And such a lovely person. Do you think heat rather than ice?
I know you're right @Layla - you always are! I must be patient. I just wish I could see consistent improvement even if it is very gradual rather than the stop/start experience. But I really must stay away from google and pay attention to the wise words on here.

Good Morning Two Cups.jpeg bickypeg ... hope you are feeling better today.

These things are sent to try us ... and they certainly do! But we are on a not-so-pleasant roller coaster (never was a fan of them at fun fairs) but we get through it eventually. I am still fighting the muscle atrophy which resulted from me losing too much weight. :no-fin: I then put some weight back on too quickly and now have to build up extra muscle. I sometimes feel in despair but know I must continue to win ... we WILL be the champions.

I think you are doing marvellously ... so keep up the good work.

Sending sunshine your way. :SUNsmile:
Hugs Teddy.jpeg Izzzy xx

Last edited:
Izabel is right, it can be like a roller coaster, but eventually it stops.
It is difficult to ignore the temptation to self diagnose with so much info at our fingertips. That inclination is always there.

I hope your weekend ended on a pleasant note and you're doing something you enjoy today. Happy Monday! :SUNsmile:
@bickypeg

Last edited:
Thank you again lovely ladies! A poor night's sleep and finally awake before 5 and up not long after but felt fine once I started moving about! It's so strange. Trying to be 'mindful' today - something I tend to scoff at as being trendy and a bit hippy dippy- but I do need to keep my wild thoughts in order and I need to stop moving round the house with 3 things I need to do all at the same time. So silly.
The eldest came round for lunch yesterday. I worry about him terribly as he lost his wife 8 years ago and is still mourning. But he has his own little home now and a job he enjoys. Anyway we watched The Gods Must Be Crazy which I hadn't seen for years. Really funny. Did us all good. He used to write film and sporting blogs. Wish he'd go back to it.
No. 3 son has written an article about an Egyptian mummy discovery which he wants to self publish on Amazon( he's done it before) so this morning I finally set to proof reading it. Good for my brain which I swear has turned to mush and also I felt useful.
I promise to stay off Google @Layla and I used to love roller coasters @Izabel but the last time I was on one I threw up! There's a metaphor there perhaps...Love your pretty gifs by the way! So cheering!

Trying to be 'mindful' today - something I tend to scoff at as being trendy and a bit hippy dippy-
Love you, you're the best! :wink: It may not be your intention but you make me laugh.

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter in law even though it's far removed. My heart goes out to you in your concern over your son as my brother sadly and tragically lost his wife in an instant almost five years ago and struggles also. I guess it takes some of us more time than others to move forward. Now that I've typed that....it's kind of like hip recovery, for whatever the reason, it takes
some of us longer than others to feel unencumbered and renewed.
But...I have every confidence you will get there.

It sounds like you have some talented writers in the family. I hope you enjoy Son number 3's draft on Egyptian mummies. Reminds me of the King Tut exhibit I saw so many years ago. Absolutely fascinating!

Hugs and best wishes for a great Monday!
@bickypeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, there, @bickypeg, it's a gloomy Monday morning here in my neighborhood but I am full of ambitious plans for the day and, like you, I need to slow down a wee bit and get more organized. It's when our heads are too full and disorganized that we can make mistakes and trip hazards are there both inside and out of our houses if we're not careful. Mindful focus is an excellent thing to focus on. Glad to read that despite the restless night (ugh...waking up before 5:00 AM when it must be pitch black outside, does NOT sound good) your aches eased a bit once you were up and about. I find that crawling out of bed in the morning is horrible--I feel stiff and elderly and cranky as all get out! But once up and moving around these aches and pains do subside and I feel more "human". Hope you have a great day to kick off the week. Cheers! PS And what a good mom you are for doing proof reading. My son sent me something that desperately needs proofing (I only checked out a page or two and while he knows how to write, his attention to grammar and spelling is truly nonexistent sometimes. Argh!

What a strange week it has been! Mainly due to the weather which has been mostly driving rain interspersed with odd bits of warm sunshine, just sufficient to lure you out before the next deluge! Have been determined to do 5000 steps each day as it seems to suit, though often it's been round and round the kitchen table! Strangely I find it easier going anti clockwise than clockwise! But mostly getting a lift to places under cover like Tesco or Marks and Spencer- not my favourite haunts by any means but at least I can step out. Went for a coffee down the road to a nice cafe overlooking the river but as soon as we ventured out again down it came.
No 3 and girlfriend called today as she wanted a bath. She's just had nodules on her throat removed (she's a primary school teacher) and looks very pathetic especially as she can't talk! But think it's mainly the effects of the anaesthetic. Hospital had sent her home with no painkillers despite the anaesthetist saying liquid morphine. But I suggested Calpol which she hadn't realised was liquid paracetamol and it's helping. Obviously she wasn't able to swallow pills and I didn't imagine anti inflammatories were sensible. I suppose it's a good thing that I've become the family's resident medical expert...

Attachments

• 20191009_125146.jpg
    20191009_125146.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 266

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023