THR Bickypeg's new hip

@bickypeg oh dear, sorry to read that you were having some down days and some recurring soreness.. But I also see where you seem pretty active with family and with that adorable little grand daughter and that's a real positive, isn't it? Your family sounds pretty amazing and accomplished!
Here's hoping you finish out August with the walking and gentle stretches and feel better!! It's definitely a journey.. with ups and downs..

I think you're suffering more than me @bickypeg, but then you have had both hips done - so potentially double the trouble! Like you my pain comes and goes with no real explanation. I'm finding the stretches are helping, although sometimes the discomfort is sharp and does stop me in my tracks. At other times nothing.

I know what you mean about the cold weather. I was shivering under my summer weight quilt last week, but I'm just on the train back from my parents in Devon and it's brightened up. Long may it last!!

I'm not sure that you were as fortunate up in Yorkshire, although we caught the gales last week.

I hope we both continue to improve apace - at least in time for Christmas shopping!! :egypdance:

I think everyone will agree with you, @bickypeg, that trying to figure out the "perfect" mix of activity and rest is an ongoing challenge at every step of the recovery process. But, sounds like you did well last week with a bit of shopping, pub visit, etc. I think it's just something that you will struggle with but that, eventually, it will sort itself out. It's a new week and new opportunities for getting out and about (sensibly, of course) and leading the life you want to live. Cool and cloudy here in my neck of the woods, but a fun get together with older son and his girlfriend a midday so something to look forward to as my treat for the day. Hope you woke up feeling cheerful, with another week of recovery down and one week closer to the finish line! Keep that chin up!

Trying not to remember that last time we came I was walking without a stick and feeling optimistic that I was feeling better every day

But last time you had another THR looming, this time you don't. You're on the mend and you will eventually get there. Keep reminding yourself, two THRS within 7 months and not even 7 months since the last one. Give yourself time. Your body has been through a lot and is still healing. Of course you're tired. Roll with it and nap when you're able.

It's good to hear you got out and enjoyed yourself on Saturday evening and once again today. You can be unafraid and adventurous again, whenever you choose to be. Take it slow, get out and engage in the things that bring you joy at your own pace. No ones paying attention, everyone else is into their own agenda, or business so "go for it" and enjoy!

Consider bringing a water bottle with you, if you're not already when you're away from home for the nagging dry mouth. Hopefully it eventually eases. It seems you do better when you're with family or staying busy. Possibly you shouldn't let more than a day go by where you don't get out of the house and do something. Being out in the world is definitely a mood booster. If nothing else, it serves as a distraction from our own issues or concerns.
I hope you have a great evening and a wonderful week!
@bickypeg

Aww thank you @Layla You always say just the right thing! I will try to get out more it's just harder if I wake up feeling sore and tired. And no fun walking when it's wet and windy. But you're right, I feel much better getting out of the house and interacting with people other than members of the family! I did have so many plans. I was going to work in a food bank and go into the local more disadvantaged primary school and listen to readers... One day perhaps.
But this is just a setback and I am mindful of how grim it was only a little more than a year ago when every step was like the Little Mermaid's when she got her legs - ouch ouch ouch! I suppose I do sometimes think now I'm 70 I can't afford to spend another day just sitting about...
The dry mouth is only at night now and I think a combination of back sleeping, NSAIDs and the antihistamine. It had almost gone at least to the extent I wasn't waking for a drink every couple of hours. Just had some ginger tea (great tip on here for freezing making it easier to peel) and cutting back on the meds.
Physio tomorrow and I am aware I feel more agile than when I first saw her. It's been a good day and I am thankful.
(Do you think we are still affected physically by the weather? I do ache more when it's damp and windy. Or just coincidence?)

Hi again :wave:
Yes, I do think some are affected physically because I've read online before that people do report increased pain and stiffness, or can feel changes in the weather post op. I guess it's not common to all, but some do experience it and I've read of others mentioning the same sensations here on the forum. Supposedly it resolves within 1-2 years. The theory is that for the first few years as the bone adapts and grows around the metal prosthesis it can lead to sensitivity to weather and pressure changes. A built in barometer of sorts, lol

I understand not wanting to get out in inclement weather. But getting out does take a chunk out of our day, serve as a distraction occupying our minds with sights, sounds and conversation with others. I'd try to get out on the days when you're feeling blue. Those may be the hardest days to push yourself, but those are the days you probably should. You're a sweetheart, bickypeg. I hope you have a peaceful evening. :friends:
@bickypeg

@bickypeg

Well done on getting out & about..

Do agree with Layla.... it’s those days when you feel under the weather that even a short walk & a cup of tea /outside of home can really boost your spirits...

Yesterday I was feeling a bit low & lethargic... I took myself off into Chichester & spent £65 on new underwear... (now hubby feels under the weather [emoji23][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji23][emoji3590]). Just having a few chats with others on the way really helped lift me up ...

Hoping you feel better soon... when you think how far you have come & what your body has been through this last year...[emoji3059][emoji3059]

Take care hun ... Love Chrissie xx[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @bickypeg ! Having a read through your recent posts and sorry to see that you have been feeling low. It's so easy to become despondent when we are immersed in our multiple aches and ever appearing niggles. Like you I feel so much better when I can get out and take part in some normal activities. How is your physio working out? I am dutifully following the exercises I was given, but I am not really seeing any progress. The pool walking is definitely helping to strengthen the new hip, but my issues are with the other side! Hope today is a good day and you can do something you enjoy.

A rotten night- couldn't get off to sleep which is unusual. Went downstairs for some warm milk and spent a few minutes destroying silverfish - horrible things and I was in the mood for killing - but woke up feeling pretty good! A fresh breezy day so no excuse not to get out for a walk although I still dread our car, even sitting on a cushion. And then physio. I'm not sure how much the exercises help either @linette333 and in fact I'm only doing two - the dangling leg and pulling' the other up and the ball rolling. How do I get the marks off the wall I wonder? The massage was the most helpful thing that's for sure.
I can't remember whether you had your other hip X rayed? But it is early days for you and it's surprising how much of a hammering the 'good ' leg gets compensating for the other. Just take it as easy as you can and keep on with the pool walking if it's helping.:console2:

(Do you think we are still affected physically by the weather? I do ache more when it's damp and windy. Or just coincidence?)

Even here in the warmth and sunshine, I notice a humid or damp day. We do have rain in the winter (if we are lucky) but have dry heat. I thank my lucky days I am not back in the UK!

Take care ... we will all get there at our own pace.
Sending Flowers.jpeg to you for a good day.

Izzy xx

Thank you for the flowers @Izabel !
A short walk this morning on an ugly but flat canal path. Nearly a mile including steps round the house.
Another massage from physio, not as ouchy as last time. She said my muscles are still tight but nothing like as tight as before and my range of movement much greater. Have to carry on with the other stretches but to try a mini bridge (she knows my feelings!) and said hamstrings very tight so she modified it And holding the back of a chair and lifting each leg briefly. Find her very soothing and reassuring. She'll email the exercises with videos. Oh she said shuffling around shops etc much harder work for the muscles than stepping out ( I said I'd soon got tired walking round the museum which seemed strange)
Told her about your pool walking @linette333 and she said it was excellent also to try walking sideways.

Oh, yeah--killing those nasty silverfish must have felt deeply satisfying, @bickypeg! If I was up late and feeling cranky, that would be something I'd see myself doing. But at least when you finally got to sleep you report you slept well, that's nice. Sounds like a pretty day in your neck of the woods--hope physio goes well for you today.

That sounds like a very positive report from your physio @bickypeg . She seems to talk a lot of sense. The exercises are clearly working, even if not as quickly as you would like. Good to hear confirmation that the pool walking is a good idea. Is there any way you could try It? My physio said to go sideways too and also backwards - as I was the only one in the pool yesterday, I walked a length backwards, but a bit risky normally!

Happy Tuesday! @bickypeg
Hopefully the massage was relaxing given your muscles aren't as tight. Positive news you find your Physio soothing and reassuring, it sure helps to like the one putting you through the paces. With any luck you'll continue to benefit from your time with her. Good for you getting out for a walk this morning in the fresh breeze. Great way to start your day.
I hope you have a nice evening!

I did complain to her about not finding pleasant flat walks nearby and trying to avoid too much car riding. But she kind of agreed with you @Layla as just to regard the walking as part of the medicine! Oh and most important she said the hips were absolutely fine. Also no bursitis just tight sore muscles and I know they're improving even if more slowly than I'd like.

It just seems unbearably slow, doesn't it, @bickypeg? That's great that your hips are "absolutely fine", that's the important message, and now you just have to curb your expectations perhaps a bit and realize that it's just going to take longer than you want, which is frankly what 99% of us feel on any given day! Hope today is a good one for you.

Here we are on a fine Friday!Two good days, yesterday with no medication at all. Still preoccupied with sore itchy bits on my face which is good in a way because it means hips must be worrying me less! Think it must be an allergic response although the anti histamine pills didn't help at all. Might be shampoo? I struggle these days to find one that doesn't irritate my scalp. And the trouble with showers is that you can't really escape what you put on your head. I really long for a nice bath. Hairdresser today so we'll see. These things are sent to try us...
Still going for walks even when it's damp but got round that by driving to town, no shopping mall but mostly flat and a nice handbag as a reward.Doing 5000 steps each day but not all at once. Would have thought that pathetic at one point but now it's an achievement. And carrying on with the stretches, more ROM definitely. Got one foot on the bathroom stool to dry toes and the other nearly there...Physio hasn't sent video of the bridge exercise which is fine as I'm unlikely to do it...:nah:
Have a good weekend all.

Have a great weekend too, dear bickypeg.
Going to South Carolina to help care for mother recovering from surgery.
Be good to see her but I'm not a great caregiver sitter-arounder so :unsure:
Keep the faith.:loveshwr:

Hey, revel in those achievements, @bickypeg--nothing is too small or insignificant. I think 5000 steps is pretty impressive, and a new handbag--ooh, a lovely reward! Sorry your face is so itchy, it must be frustrating to have such sensitive skin. I thought I basically had rhinoceros skin, no allergies to anything and always buy the cheap stuff on sale in terms of skin and hair products, until that horrible glue strip closure over my incision erupted into fiery blisters within a day or two of surgery! Congrats on two days with no medication--you're getting there, a slow journey but forward progress! Have a great Friday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom