THR Bickypeg's new hip

Glad to see that things are improving for you.... one day it just all clicks into place!!
Loving that darling little cherub..
nothing like baby cuddles [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear. No more Bonesmart for me thought I on a fine summer day a few weeks back. I'm better now. I don't need support. Both hips done and I'm sorted. Couldn't have managed without the bonesmarties but I'm no longer a needy patient.
Mea culpa guys. I was a self satisfied meanie not staying involved and imparting possibly useful advice.
I did feel absolutely great. Did 17 miles last week and 15 miles the previous one. Did loads of gardening including a massive amount of cutting hedges, weeding. Decided I wasn't keeping up with my physio exercises so had a quick burst of calf raises on the bottom step. Whether it was an accumulation of walking in the heat when I was tired, bending stupidly to pull up rose bay willow herb , doing an exercise when I hadn't warmed up, but I certainly joined the ODC with a vengeance. Back on the paracetamol 4 times a day and feeling tired and miserable.
Have been basically just sitting about for 4 days. Not so much pain just general discomfort and a feeling of heaviness again in new leg and as though it wasn't working properly although old leg was uncomfortable too. Totally preoccupied with my body again. Not sure what to do for the best. I'm assuming I haven't done anything terrible just messed up my healing muscles, tendons etc. Think I do feel a little better today but my confidence is totally shot and I hardly dare walk around the house.
Any advice? Will rest do the trick? Should I move more?I was never silly enough to keep walking and doing jobs when I was in pain but I certainly kept on doing things when I was feeling tired. And I noticed one knee was slightly swollen but it's settled down today which terrified me as I know I have some arthritis in both knees. Had forgotten about them as they've been fine since the second hip was done.
22 weeks on and I am so cross with myself! But I did have such a lot of fun...:bawl:(excuse all the photos but I was reminding myself it was almost worth it...)

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_141911400_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190624_141911400_HDR.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG-20190630-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20190630-WA0005.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-20190630-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190630-WA0000.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190630_143402.jpg
    20190630_143402.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 20190702_162918.jpg
    20190702_162918.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190703_140354.jpg
    20190703_140354.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 20190704_115007.jpg
    20190704_115007.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 20190706_143620.jpg
    20190706_143620.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 20190708_091238.jpg
    20190708_091238.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 205
Hi @bickypeg :wave: and nice to see your post though I hate to hear you are having issues.
Mea culpa guys. I was a self satisfied meanie not staying involved and imparting possibly useful advice.
You certainly don't resemble a self serving meanie...we get our hips fixed so we can get back to our lives so I am happy to see all the lovely pics of you and your lovely family.:tada:

Dont know if it was one of the activities you mentioned that landed you in the ODIC...but most likely an accumulation of altogether all of it.
Lefty is about to be celebrating it's one year hipversary but righty still needs babying.
Yes..rest, and ice:ice:
Healing hugs for you dear friend.

Thank you dear @Mojo333 You are too kind. Yes could well be. Certainly in my right shoulder I suspect which has bothered me on and off for a year now. Wonder if rolling a tennis ball on the sore bits would help? Recommended by the physio but as yet not attempted.
Was so nice at the seaside by the way. First time I've walked on a beach and not been in pain for years!

:hi:
It's nice to hear from you, bickypeg. I'm sorry you're in pain though. It's understandable you were moving on, after all that's the goal a few months after surgery, to go live life as we did before the pain began and our joint deteriorated.

Hopefully your stop in the ODIC is shortlived. With any luck, rest and ice will do the trick and it will be smooth sailing from here on out. I love the pictures of your family. It looks like you were really enjoying your time together. Let us know when you're all better. Wishing you comfort until then. :console2:
@bickypeg

Thank you Layla. Not so much pain really more feeling uncomfortable and as though nothing is working properly. And almost as though it never would. Very odd and difficult to describe. Frustrating and a bit depressing but I think resting is helping. Sitting in the car feels as though I'm sitting on the hockey puck again. Just back to being patient again which is harder when the sun shines.

I feel for you! The tennis ball might help with knotty muscles... I had a great pain-free holiday but then moved some tables across carpet on Monday after the Uni porters didn't show up and OUCH! I felt that so 11 months out am slightly in the ODIC zone too. Ice helped. I hope it gets better for you soon xx

Aww, you'll get there, bickypeg. You've already been there, so you know it's attainable. It seems you just overdid it. I hope you have a quiet peaceful weekend and your dicomfort slowly eases.
Hugs
@bickypeg

Hoping a few days rest, free from too much exertion will do the trick @bickypeg

Loving the pictures of you getting on with your life.....that, after all is the whole purpose of the surgery...

These hips certainly do let us know when they need to rest up ...[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hi there, @bickypeg! I am just trolling the post-op forum, knowing that I'll be back on it next week (second hip surgery scheduled for Wednesday) and I remembered you from hip #1 so thought I'd stop by and say hello. Does sound like you, naughty girl, must just have overdone things a bit which would account for the pain you're experiencing. I hope with some rest and OTC meds you'll be feeling good shortly. Hang in there! And the pictures were great--looks like a lovely time being had by all!

Hi there @bickypeg Love that you have been out there enjoying life. I have a bucket list ready. So sorry you are in pain and feeling that old familiar what if that rolls around in our heads after this journey. Hope your timeout is short lived. Tendons sure are tender. Can really shut things down when they are angry. Healing wishes for a relaxing weekend.

Hello lovely @Barbaraj ! You're back! Gorgeous photo! Think you are so wise! I'm sure no. 2 will go smoothly and like me you'll be kicking yourself,very gently, for not going for it sooner!
Don't join the ODIC though! Let me be an awful warning! Am still resting lots but generally by the end of the day I feel much better. I think the fact that both sides were stiff and sore means it was muscular/tendons problems and old hip/leg is almost back to normal. My fitbit is still telling me off for doing comparatively little but I managed over 5000 steps a few times this week. Still frustrated and grumpy with myself but enjoyed babysitting and visiting this week and the youngest's 30th party was great fun.
All the very best for tomorrow! :praying:

Sending a hug and wishes for brighter days. I hope you're feeling better with rest.
I just noticed it's only three days until your one year anniversary for Lefty.
And you're only five months post op from Righty. I guess that accounts for why it doesn't take much to over do it at this point. There is still healing happening, possibly with both hips, so it's understandable how a little fun can result in needing to rest. I know it was all worth it for you, understanding your love of family.
Wishing you comfort, relief and a great rest of the day!
@bickypeg

Sorry you're still not 100%, @bickypeg, but 5,000 steps per day is pretty darn impressive! I have a different fitness watch, and it says I only do about 3500 steps per day. But I think it must be off a little because even on days when I hit the gym and do an hour (30 on the elliptical, 30 on recumbent bike) it doesn't register. I feel as if I'm still staying active with gym visits, daily PT exercises and trotting around doing errands. I am hoping #2 will be an easy recovery, too, and soon I'll be back in business again but sans that constant, 24/7 hip ache. I'll be fully bionic in 2020! And thanks for the good wishes for Wednesday. Feeling a bit queasy and anxious this morning, but trying to stay busy and distracted. Cheers.

You'll be great @Barbaraj ! I was also more anxious coming up to my second which seemed strange as the first was so successful, I was all prepared at home and I was of course desperate to be free of arthritic pain.
Anyway here I am and feeling so much better today. I slept upstairs in the guestroom on a new softer mattress last night and it was wonderful! Realised it's impossible to sleep comfortably on one's side on a hard mattress.
I also walked round a large supermarket for the first time with no discomfort and without the horrid dragging and weak feeling I had recently in my new hip. Sincerely hope the rest has finally paid off. Please don't overdo things - I know what you're like. :upright:
I reckon my being too ambitious set my recovery back several weeks.
My fitbit didn't register steps I did on the trampette. And the 5000 steps were only in the house and garden unlike my foolish mileage a couple of weeks ago. But I'll get there again. Very slowly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190709-112558.jpg
    Screenshot_20190709-112558.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 178
Happy Wednesday!
You're doing great @bickypeg certainly an improvement over the ODIC the other day.
A good night's sleep in a comfy bed never hurt anyone either. It looks like you're getting some steps in for sure. Good for you! Enjoy the rest of the week. :wave:

Last edited:
Hey, bickypeg, I agree that at least the start of recovery for hip #2 feels harder but who knows, I am sure I was befuddled last time (sure am now!) so maybe it's the same and I'm not remembering. But love reading that while you still have times when it's overwhelming, you clearly have that light at the end of the tunnel in view. We'll both be charging (okay, maybe strolling is more accurate) into 2020 with fabulous new hips and a good attitude! I am clearly not overdoing things at the moment (!) as I've zero energy to do much than crawl to the bathroom and back. But it is going to get better, I know that. I might be a bit fuzzy about those first few weeks but I do know I healed well and would have been in fine shape except for that miserable left hip demanding attention!

Oh we'll be charging into 2020 I'm sure! Don't be frightened of taking painkillers though - are you sure you're having enough and regularly? Don't you like codeine? I decided finally that the side effects were too unpleasant but they certainly got me through the first few weeks along with paracetamol. I was intrigued when I found out they don't kill the pain, just make your brain think you have no pain!
Reading is hard but I loved listening to Audible especially comedies or travel.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member