THR Bickypeg's new hip

Soooo with you all, I was 'healthy eating' before surgery and then along came Hot Cross buns :happydance:, no exercise, and chocolate! I have put June 1st in my diary to put all those temptations behind me again,:heehee:-- but no slimming clubs this time, just healthy, mostly veggie, portion control, lots of water, Monday -Friday, then a lovely Sunday lunch!!!!

The best way to tackle this weight stress is to quit weighing yourself!! :heehee:

I am having a few more treats than usual but know it will sort itself out once I get more active and too busy to be thinking about snacking all the time. I have naturally started eating more veggies than anything else just because I find I feel better but then I sure didn't leave that gorgeous cake in the store yesterday! It was glaring at me!!!

The PA at my primary care physician 's office said I shouldn't worry about weight right now because surgery was very traumatic. I will take him at his word for now. :rotfl:

Like @mollymum I think I will wait for the first of June to really take an effort. :walking:

Just realised I haven't posted for a while. Usually a good sign, and then a bad sign when someone returns...Have felt pretty good the last couple of weeks- still no stamina for walking any distance and up and downstairs like a toddler, but otherwise doing bits of gardening, often one handed with stick in the other but managing (lovely spring weather) some babysitting, advising son on new home but only doing things like clean his painty kitchen sink, little trips out and sleeping better. Even made it to church a couple of times. Really pleased that I can sit on all kinds of chairs , including garden ones, comfortably and use ordinary toilets sitting down! But then a bit achey yesterday even after I'd got up and moved around a while and more uncomfortable today. Cant find a comfy chair! Back on the paracetamol which I hadn't taken for days. Lower back rather than hips and a very crunchy neck. Can't even remember how many weeks since the op which is great, but on the other hand why the setback? Really don't think I joined the ODIC. Had found some comfy old sandals which fastened with velcro but they feel very odd this morning.So back in the Skechers.
Bother!

Hi @bickypeg Sorry you're not having a fun day. Hopefully your body is just telling you to not put your shoes on and rest today. It sounds like you have been a bit busy and having some fun in the sun though!

I'm taking it easy and paracetamol helps straight away but I'm impatient now. Having felt so much more like my old self it's hard to go back to sitting about. But I keep reminding myself the grinding pain has gone and I have so much to be thankful for. I don't think turning 70 helped my equilibrium! It's just a number I know! But it's a nasty one.
How are you doing my dear? I'll have a look at your thread.

I had a really lazy day, just a bit of cooking and much sitting about. Still did • 9 miles! And felt fine eventually so I know what to do next time. :) Though I hope there isn't a next time...

don't think turning 70 helped my equilibrium! It's just a number I know! But it's a nasty one.

Hey...it's better than the alternative. You're as young as you'll ever be! You are healthy, have a beautiful family and lots of good in your life. We all have our down days but for the most part I think you're doing really well. Chin up, sweet lady :)
@bickypeg

It was no good.11stone11. Had to put the calorie counting app back on my tablet. I shall still fib about what I'm eating of course but at least it's a gesture. Tried on lots of old summer dresses on yesterday and was surprised they still fit when I feel huge, but obviously I was huge before but not bothered. Noticed legs look like dimpled tree trunks which came as a bit of a shock as I've been wearing trousers and avoiding mirrors for so long.
Saw the NHS podiatrist today and it was worth the long wait. Superior in every way to the one I'd been seeing privately. Intrigued by my strange feet but did lots of tests, asked loads of questions, and finally came to what sounded like a sensible conclusion. Also gave me several exercises and suggestions for future care. Obviously knew lots about physiology and hip replacements and the impact they made on the rest of the body. Reminded me I'd had 2 major operations in a short time (just like @Mojo333!) when I said I was a bit frustrated with present limitations. Also didn't dismiss GP's Raynaud's diagnosis or chiropodist's chilblains but said she could see where they were coming from which I thought was nice. Generally thought there was no cause for concern which was very reassuring as I have been preoccupied with them for a long time. :SUNsmile:

We are so lucky to have our NHS, I think :yay:-even if the waiting can be a long time! My step-mum had a wonderful podiatrist in South Shields, who also had looked after my dad. I'm just longing to be able to reach my toenails :egypdance:, but might have to ask my nurse daughter to do the honours first :heehee:

More lovely sunny weather. So unusual to have a long dry spell like this but it makes such a difference to everyone's mood.
Went to the local cinema today - first trip there since last autumn and was SO much more comfortable. A slight ache in the rear after sitting for 2 hours and ruined my calorie count with the free biscuits as OH didn't want his but then walked down our steep hill to the little park and back. The furthest ever! Met a little ex pupil from years ago now about 23 from a very difficult family and she was always a rascal but their 2 boys are now in the Navy (my mind is boggling) and she's finishing a degree course in art and design and heading off to Camp America which also cheered me greatly.
Went to the same stately home on Tuesday that we visited last October and again so much easier with 2 new hips. Could barely get around last time especially on the stairs but this time I went round all the gardens as well. Been a lovely week, and I also enjoyed helping a bit in the youngest's new house. (He'd been talking about some William Morris curtains eventually and I did spend a lot of the film of Tolkien thinking that's Strawberry Thief, how lovely, wonder what design that is)

Attachments

• IMG-20190521-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190521-WA0010.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 256
Oh, how beautiful!

Happy Four Month Anniversary to Righty! @bickypeg
I hope you've been doing well since we last heard from you a couple weeks back.
Wishing you a great weekend! :wave:

Hi @Layla ! Always a good sign when hippies post less I suppose but I haven't forgotten you all and your kind advice and support. Good weather and quite busy with family gatherings, babysitting, a pub lunch, cafes, another stately home visit. Finally decided to see a private physiotherapist as I was worried about my lack of stamina and feeling I'd reached a plateau and though nothing was worse nothing seemed to be improving. She took me through lots of movements - none painful, but lots of stiffness. Has emailed me a programme of a few fairly simple ones with diagrams. I also tried lying on both sides which was very painful but I was surprised when she said the pain wasn't in my hips but at the tops of the leg bones. showed me on her chart. She said it was unusual especially in the older one but made some suggestions. Found her reassuring and helpful.
The next day I felt amazing! Not sure if it was the stretching, the fact she'd said I could push myself a bit with walking, or just generally feeling more confident. Or the sun. But I walked down the hill to the village for the first time in a year, went to church, then on to a cafe. Had husband on speed dial of course. That night I even slept on my side for a while and have continued to do so. Still not great but I can do it. And so I've continued. Lots of walking, going out without a stick sometimes (though it's a bit of a comfort thing now I think)
Bit of a blip today with a few aches but I did some very stupid gardening yesterday and was also a long time in the car. And it's cold wet and windy. Shall we always be affected by the weather do you think?
But otherwise feeling as though I've turned a corner which is wonderful.:)
Managed to dandle a friend's baby and bounce him up and down vigorously with no lasting damage to either of us!

Attachments

• IMG-20190602-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190602-WA0010.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Oh bickypeg, that baby is adorable!
The soft baby skin you can almost smell, those bright eyes and precious little feet.
I want another baby! :tantrum: Well....not really, but my kids could give me another grandbaby.
Yep...I'd happily settle for that.

It sounds like you're doing really well, overall. Being active, getting away from home and having fun.
It's great to read of your adventures. I hope it continues to get better and I'll bet with the visit and advice you received from the physiotherapist it will.
Best wishes moving forward. Stay in touch. :loveshwr:
@bickypeg

Glad to see your post my hippy pal!
I need to borrow a baby!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009