THR Bickypeg's new hip

Got a little celebratory buzz from the fitbit yesterday as I'd done 5000 steps for the first time in ages! Went out in car today on a fatter cushion (still not very comfortable) and accidentally walked 2 miles altogether round the pretty village where youngest has finally bought a cottage. Also stood and chatted to a nice lady for ages, being able to stand is so amazing! But old left ankle was uncomfortable when I got home. Hope the doctor is right and it won't always be a problem and it's still recovering from having to work so hard supporting the bad old hip. Bit of a worry but I'd be worried if I wasn't worried about something...:umm:

Happy Wednesday!
Village, Cottage, both sound peaceful and lovely.
I'm a city girl so words like bustling, traffic and noisy apply :heehee:

Yahoo on 5000 steps! Pleasant surprise I'll bet. Good for you, bickypeg :yay:
You're funny in saying you'd be worried if you weren't worrying about something :heehee:
Wishing you a peaceful, care free rest of the day.
Hugs
@bickypeg

Another thing...(of course) Looked in the mirror with glasses on yesterday so I could put on a bit of slap for the hospital and realised my skin is very dry. I knew my legs had the typical post THR crocodile appearance but face and arms not much better. Typical? Central heating, dehydrated, short of vitamins, nasty soap? Don't remember it last summer apart from on my shins.Any ideas?

Got a little celebratory buzz from the fitbit yesterday as I'd done 5000 steps for the first time in ages! Went out in car today on a fatter cushion (still not very comfortable) and accidentally walked 2 miles altogether round the pretty village where youngest has finally bought a cottage. Also stood and chatted to a nice lady for ages, being able to stand is so amazing! But old left ankle was uncomfortable when I got home. Hope the doctor is right and it won't always be a problem and it's still recovering from having to work so hard supporting the bad old hip. Bit of a worry but I'd be worried if I wasn't worried about something...:umm:
Congratulations and wow! Your RTHP was so recent!

I think your doc may be correct. Two problems I did not think were related to the way I used to walk, but apparently were: my left knee, and a bone spur on my left foot.

I was fretting about possibly also needing a knee replacement when I was talking to one of the ladies in charge of the pre-op demonstration. She'd had both hips and one knee done and was very cheery about it all, but advised me not to jump to any conclusions about my knee; she said it might have been getting pushed out of alignment by my limping. Of course who's to say what the future might hold, but the knee has not bothered me in months. The bone spur is still there, but previously it was getting irritated by my shoe, to the point where I needed to wear a pad or bootie. Not so anymore.

Oh that's very reassuring @EL11 thank you.:flwrysmile:I know I have some arthritis in both knees from old Xrays and both were very troublesome after my first hip was done especially at night. But apart from the first night home after the second op they've been fine.
I'll just try to be a bit sensible but it's spring, the sun is shining and it's so lovely to be out there! :happydance:

:wowspring: Great job on the steps and hopefully you are not paying a price today. Nice to hear you are getting some sun while doing those steps! We had sun again today but temperature dropping and more snow tomorrow :scare:

5000 steps is great going, congratulations! I’m glad you have sunshine after your flood worries. (Sorry to hear @Carriemay60 is facing more snow, hope it doesn’t linger).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the medication that causes dry mouth also caused dry skin.

I’m sorry to hear about your ankle problems but reassured by @EL11’s experience with knee, because my knee has also been playing up today.

Hi @bickypeg
I'm guessing your skin is most likely dry due to heating season, since your first surgery was during the Summer and you don't recall experiencing the same. Make sure you're staying well hydrated and consider trying some gentle exfoliation in the shower followed by a good moisturizer afterward. See if that helps.
No crocodiles allowed on the forum, lol.
Hugs and best wishes for a great Thursday!

Happy Thursday, @bickypeg--nice to get some reassurance from your doctor, and also a lovely compliment--definitely an occasion to celebrate (although I'd have substituted a fancy cocktail for the beverage maybe). You are continuing to do so well with this second surgery, I am sure you are surprised but very grateful. Hope the weather cooperates today and allows you to get outside for a bit of exercise and fresh air.

Feeling so pleased about the last couple of days @Barbaraj as I ended up doing almost 3 miles yesterday with 30 minutes of 'proper' walking according to my trusty fitbit! Also a second trip in the car to third son's in the evening as he'd made a cake! Still not really liking car journeys but experimenting with increasingly bigger cushions!
Felt fine in the morning after sleeping a little longer than usual despite the usual stirrings for a drink of water. And another cafe trip to the nearest town plus a quick visit to a bookshop to buy a book for the little one. All very exciting! Youngest son with us and tbh he's much more thoughtful than the other half for helping me in and out of the car, finding a comfy chair and so on! And always so cheerful. No painkillers at all today.
Suddenly feeling in low spirits this afternoon for no good reason and annoyed with myself when recovery is going so well. Stupidly preoccupied with other odd symptoms - a bit of tinnitus, ears feeling clogged- so couldn't resist googling...Was feeling tired but probably a nice long walk would have been ideal. Couldn't concentrate on reading. A ton of chocolate might have been the answer but I've given it up for Lent!:bawl:

Well, too bad you've given up chocolate for Lent because otherwise, you know, chocolate is the answer for all that ails you, @bickypeg! Glad to read you slept a bit better the other night, so critical for most of us--hard to start the day when you've sleep deprived. And five miles of walking is sensational! You are really bustling around these days, very impressive. Have a great day--hope your mood has lifted and you are feeling cheerful and justifiably proud of yourself for all you've been able to accomplish on this second hip recovery journey. Have a great weekend!

Not quite 3 miles! Phew! Not 5! And not all at once! Painkillers at 4.00am but not totally sure I needed them really. Ache getting up but once I move about it's much better. Trip up to our local town so we could check out sofas for youngest's new home. Not amazing even with huge cushion and I really don't like cobbled streets! There aren't many but we found them...But OK when I get out.The longest journey so far anyway and may try trip to the eldest's next week.
Perked up a lot thanks. There's no rhyme nor reason behind the blues...

Three miles! Good for you @bickypeg
I do remember that car riding misery. Thankfully it runs its course.
Sorry you were on a little downer pre-occupied with odd symptoms. I'm happy it passed and you're feeling better.
Hope you have a great weekend!

:) Hope today is a Good Day!
There's no rhyme nor reason behind the blues...
There really isn't ...one if my biggest meltdowns was when it seemed things were truly on the mend:shrug: Poor hubby...he had learned by that point to not ask "what's wrong?":umm:
You have gone through quite a lot these past 9 months.
All to a good end...and quit googling before you get yourself thinking you have legionnaires disease :giggle:

Hi, @bickypeg, I hope the blues stay gone today and you are feeling cheerful and relatively pain free. Maybe another walk? I think walks are great exercise and there is something about fresh air which is enticing. Of course, I confess to being a complete fair weather walker--no trudging along in the rain for me--but when it's a nice day and if you can manage it without undue discomfort, walks are truly wonderful--so glad to read you enjoyed yours and here's to more of 'em! Happy Sunday!

Oh Bonesmarties I am so restless and grumpy! It's spring out there and the sun shining through my dusty windows onto my dusty possessions ! And the garden needs sorting! And we have too much STUFF! I tackled our pantry the last few days but it was ridiculously hard work. And I needed OH to tackle high shelves and pass things down and he's rubbish at taking instructions...
But I had a really lovely birthday though being 70 didn't feel at all lovely. Super to see all the family plus a friend and most staying over but I still find company so draining. Is this normal? And then when they're gone it's as quiet as the grave...
Nice thoughtful presents too - a night at the theatre in July and a flat for one night for us all in June at the seaside etc. Surely I'll have a bit more energy by then?
Hardly aching at all now except when I've done something silly but like @SurreyGirl I do get stiff especially first thing. But perhaps I should start exercises as stairs are still hard work and I'm not very bendy though I did manage to dry the toes on one foot this morning!
Worst things are still the weird mood swings and irritability for no reason, and dry mouth especially at night and waking up properly every morning around 4.00 am. But comfier in bed since I put a pillow under my knees. Trying to be thankful for my nice new hips and not be impatient but still finding it hard. :umm:

Oh I dare not remind you of how it is early days and how things WILL get better...as when you are there, it isn't always helpful to hear it repeated over and over.
Happy belated almost 3/4 of a century and look how lovely you look and how wonderful your family is...and ....should I be so lucky? Does that make you feel any better? It really should.
I'm sorry you are wrought with the dumps...but this too will pass! I'm sure.
Hugs @bickypeg!

A Belated Happy Birthday to you @bickypeg
Celebrate those 70 yrs. Hitting your 70th birthday is certainly better than the alternative.
You're As Young As You'll Ever Be! You're a pup to all the 80, 85 and 90 yr olds.:yes:

I believe you'll have more energy by the time June /July roll around and you'll enjoy the trip to the seaside as well as the theatre. You are going to suffer Energy Drain. Your body went through two major surgeries in seven months and you haven't even reached the one year anniversary of your first op.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

If you're routinely waking at 4:00 am and can't fall back asleep, consider adjusting your bed time if you haven't already, so you're getting enough sleep each night. I'm sure your sleep will regulate in time.

Wondering if you checked your meds in regard to mood swings / depression as side effects. If not, I'd check, possibly you can have them adjusted and avoid the ups and downs you're experiencing.

Following are the articles on Energy Drain and Post Op Blues -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Sending a hug and best wishes for a peaceful, relaxing Thursday. :friends:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member