THR Bickypeg's new hip

bickypeg

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Everything went well. Was only in recovery a short time and ate lasagne and a jam doughnut when back on the ward. Good to have my appetite back. In a side ward as it was so busy on the main ward which has been great. Still full of diamorphine presumably? But no pain in operated leg and mild in the other which was appalling the night before admission.Did exercises in bed with physio that evening. Main irritant is urinating - feel I want to go then a long time before I can (bedpan) Better if they turn on the tap! Blood pressure quite low this morning. So far so good!

Congratulations on your new hip!
Im glad to hear that you are doing well.
The first few days at the hospital were horrible for me.
But it gets better every day.
Rest and take it easy for the next few weeks but for the most part enjoy your new hip!

Welcome to the dark side. You'll feel a little groggy over the next day or two. I found it took me for ever to urinate, but once I did it flowed out of me. Drink lots of water, it will help flush you out and hydrate you. Blood pressure can be low and if it is then you may find it difficult standing. I had initial low blood pressure and nearly fainted when stood up. But it passed and I was up and about.

Take it easy and listen to your body.

Hello Bickypeg, and welcome to recovery. Here is some reading material to help you make your recovery as effective as possible. We'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had to have a bedpan the first night, because I was too late back on the ward to see the PTs to get me out of bed, and like you I kept wanting the loo, but took an age to get started once in the bedpan. I think it was partly down to the slight numbness left from the spinal, and the discomfort of being perched astride a cardboard receptacle with somebody waiting to take it from me! I was put on top of it at least 3 times during that first night, and I did wonder how my poor new joint would survive the acrobatics needed to get me on it! The bedpan split on one occasion, and I was left sitting in a pool of wee. Not my finest moment.

Needless to say, I'd progressed to a walker and got myself to the loo the second night. Just as disruptive to sleep - but then who can sleep on their back anyway?! - but a lot more dignified.

I also had really low blood pressure right up until leaving hospital two days later, but drinking plenty of water and getting back to normal eating, etc., got it back up.

You'll be surprised how much better everything is by the time you get home.

I'm not exactly a pro, by the way, as I'm exactly two weeks out, but everything has evened out a lot.

Good luck!

Not quite so jolly this afternoon! Wiped out totally! They are taking me off the morphine based one pill and going for Codeine and a laxative (I'm terrified of being constipated) Walked with zimmer twice to loo and had a nice wash with Wet Wizards. I felt so happy- obviously the pills! Don't want tea. But not in as much pain as expected. Consultant pleased and will see me in 6 weeks. Xrays good. Can go home tomorrow if I'm OK. Not likely!

Sounds like you are doing well @bickypeg . Stay ahead of the pain and don't be afraid of taking your prescribed medication. Ask for stool softener versus a laxative. You don't want any cramping.

They gave me lactulose and Senna - the lactulose is fine, the Senna a bit more brutal. The NHS have a thing about having opened your bowels; I had to stay an extra night because I hadn't, and they were threatening a suppository -'eat plenty of grapes, cherries and bananas and drink plenty of water - they worked in the nick of time!

They aren't keen on lactulose apparently think it's a senna mix. I have a thing about constipation being prone to piles since my first baby. Husband and 2 of sons came in but couldn't be bothered with them and kept nodding.When I do close my eyes I have few seconds of weirdness. Will be glad to get back to bed.

'eat plenty of grapes, cherries and bananas and drink plenty of water
GOOD ADVICE!
I did this at home and it kept all working well WHEN things began working.
Try to sleep all you can..This is all temporary and you will be much more comfortable if they do let you go home soon.
Healing Hugs:console2:

Not feeling good at all. The ?diamorphine masked a lot of things. A lot of pain and paracetamol and codeine don't do much. Uncomfortable in bed and in chair. So full of wind! Keep nodding off but only for minutes and the dreams are so weird.Was obviously way too optimistic about how I'd feel at this stage.

I'm so sorry you are feeling rotten.:console2:
The first days were pretty miserable for me too. I was thinking what did I do and why didn't someone warn me?
Your body has gone through alot.
They didn't offer me Ice at the hospital and I didn't ask.
As soon as I was home, I could get more comfortable.
Let them know if your pain is not being managed...
It WILL be worth the struggles...
Sending healing hugs!:) :-) (:

Drink plenty of water to help flush your system. Pain Med's at this stage are required regardless of your pain levels as it helps with the moving. Do the required exercises, ankle pumps and the likes. If your tired sleep. Just your body dealing with the trauma and drugs in your system.
Remember it will get better just be positive. Family are there for support, so make the most of that. Hope things get better for you in the next few days.

I thought they'd kill me with the bags of fluid they continued to pump into me for the full post op day.

When I first stood up to go the bathroom the afternoon after surgery, I peed all over myself, had to get pads for the first 2 days, and then sitting on toilet would take forever to go.

From prior babies, even without a spinal but moreso with, bladder issues were a mess for about 1.5 days after.

And I have a super shy bladder to make it worse.

First night at home went OK, tried not to snap at the family if they were fussing/not fussing enough!Glad I'd thought to get incontinence pads as I dribbled each time getting out of bed as it took so long.No appetite which might be because I haven't 'been' since Thursday. Taking all the stuff the hospital gave me. When do I need to feel worried? Physios here tomorrow so hope they'll advise.

Hi @bickypeg
I don't think you need to worry since it's only been 4 days. Try to relax.
Make sure you're drinking a lot of water. Here's an article for you to read -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/
Try Apples, Pears, Prunes if any sound appetizing. Coffee may bring you some luck.
Look up some foods for Constipation and see if anything sounds good to you.
Take it easy with physio tomorrow. If anything they have you do hurts, STOP.
Wishing you the best!

@bickypeg I might add one more suggestion to the already excellent mix of anti constipation foods offered here. Pumpkin purée- a brand with nothing else in it. Most markets carry it in cans -- you can add cinnamon for flavor if need be. I had my husband bring it in containers to the hospital right after my surgery, and it was a nice, effective, natural fix. Discovered it a few years ago when my kitty was constipated for days. Worked like a charm for her! And for kitty mommy too! I found the stool softener meds they sent me home with created the opposite problem ...so chucked them for more dietary repair once at home. But I think it took a week or so to get the full GI tract back to normal functioning after the barrage of meds in such a short time frame. Give your body time to get everything back in order. Best of luck going forward, you'll be so happy you did it!

Looking back at long years of pain and discomfort it's hard to believe that it can all be sorted by a short operation lasting an hour or two. Amazing hospital, caring cheerful staff, and all free! We must look after our NHS!
Worst things after 6 days have been constipation and sleeping on my back. I still get very tired but even that is partly the drugs (codeine, paracetamol). On 2 sticks now with trepidation but physio said I should. I realise there'll be ups and downs but I can't wait until I get the other hip done. I was so foolish to put off the operation.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom