Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

Bilateral TKR Bi lateral TKR August 2020

Rosy G

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All,
My first post. Had a set back at week three when starting new exercise and R leg paralysed for few hours1 Lots of swelling afterwards for 2-3 weeks but since then I have been building up muscles in that leg- which had started to turn out a little after menesctomies some years ago. It's almost as if those muscles need lengthening. My balance is not 100 percent and sleeping is hard. My GP has insisted I re start codeine phosphate at night and that does let me sleep but hope to stop that asap. Walking outside with one stick and none inside but balance is not so good yet.Still get quite stiff after walk and exercise but feel small progress each day Hope to hear from others with tips please!

Roy Gardiner

Country
:welome: to BoneSmart.

My balance is not 100 percent
Yes, but it gets better. You might try balance exercises, if you like. It won't affect balance elsewhere, on a bike for instance.
Still get quite stiff after walk and exercise but feel small progress each day
:thumb: Little steps, that's what you want.
Hope to hear from others with tips please!
Please read the guidelines...

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us the date of your surgery and we’ll make a signature for you.

I had balance issues, also, that mostly resolved as I continued to heal.

Sleep is an issue for most of us, for quite a while. There’s an article about it in the Recovery Guidelines.

OP
OP
R

Rosy G

Country
Hi, I had both knees replaced on 17th August Thank you for all information

Oregon mom

Country
:welome:
Glad you are here!
I don't know where I'd be without BoneSmart. There is so much information here. And so many good people who really understand.
I had my BTKR just a couple weeks after you, August 31.

Mrs. Ciz

Country
Welcome! I had my bilateral on July 6th. I had a big week this week! I went down a whole flight of stairs at work normally!!! I had to hold onto the left hand rail and I went a little more slowly than most, but I did it!!! You’ll get there.

Dep

Country
Ireland Ireland
@Mrs.Ciz well done on the stairs! I had BTKR on Sept 24. Have you noticed one knee revovering better than the other? I have 98 ROM in the left and 106 in the right. Right knee bends smoothly and straight but the left goes to the side and it clicks a bit! @Roy Gardiner can you remember anything like this? Just a bit worried my left knee won’t recover properly. Thanks. Dep

Mrs. Ciz

Country
@Dep
Yep, my left knee is recovering faster than my right knee. My right hamstring has been super tight from the first night of surgery. It’s caused lots of bad post surgery behind the knee pain, which radiates down to my calf, shin and foot. It is so much better now and only happens occasionally at 17 weeks post op. But man did it hurt for the first 3 months. That hamstring has also affected my range of motion in the right knee. Flexion is getting better, but extension in my right knee is still a problem. It makes me limp sometimes. I stretch it out multiple times every single day. And I often sleep with a heating pad behind the right knee and hamstring. It helps with the pain and loosens the hamstring. That said, the front of my left knee cap is a lot tighter than the front of my right knee cap. I was wondering if all the heat therapy on my right leg somehow helped with the tightness in the front as well. Who knows.

I ordered a bike trainer stand for my road bike last week. It should be delivered tomorrow. I want to get back on my bike because it helps so much with range of motion. Last time I tried (3 or 4 weeks ago) I couldn’t get the pedals all the way around. I will get there!

Dep

Country
Ireland Ireland
Good idea @Mrs. Ciz - my physio has given me unlimited access to his gym which incudes a static bike. I raise the saddle and do 15 mins three times a week. When did you start driving? I haven’t started yet. Went back to work yesterday- from home. The country is locked down, which helps me really. I admire your optimism - best of luck. Dep

OP
OP
R

Rosy G

Country
Yes I read your posts and so many points seemed to cover what I am experiencing. My main issue is one knee feeling unstable so I am not walking well without sticks but I do think it’s to do with muscles before the op. How are you now snd what issues to you have? Mana

OP
OP
R

Rosy G

Country
Well done on the stairs @Mrs. Ciz It's interesting to hear re hamstring muscles and mirrors my experience of one knee being had back by muscles I'm also stretching them every dy and feel a little improvement from day to day I will be relieved when the giving way sensation goes- it's much less frequent now but still unpleasant feeling

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome @Rosy G ! With a bilateral, especially after the setback you mentioned, it is not surprising to have some balance issues. While my "bilateral" was 7 weeks apart (I was scheduled for a bilateral, but apparently my blood oxygen levels had a different plan! :shrug:), there were definitely some balance issues. I too, had a setback at about 3 weeks - going down the stairs one day, 2nd knee decided to slide down, while 1st knee had my heel kissing my butt! Very scary, but all turned out well. Remember that as the knees degenerated, they did so independently, which means as they got worse it impacted different parts of your body differently. But everything is aligned perfectly now and with attention and taking your PT slow, your body will adjust. I had a big issue with needing to get my IT bands stretched - a LOT.
Also, do work on stretching those hamstrings - my PT said they are the first to start to atrophy after the relative inaction post-surgery. I can even feel the difference in them with my self-induced Covid-inaction! Be well - you're going to get there!

OP
OP
R

Rosy G

Country
thankyou @NightQuilter What are IT bands please- is this a term for calf muscles? I have been working on hamstrings and it is definitely helping It's encouraging to know balance improves I hope you are keeping well

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The IT band - iliotibial band - is a band of tissue extending from the pelvis along the outside the the leg and attaching to the shinbone just below the knee - a totally unmedical description!! As I understand it, it helps stabilize the knee. As my knees deteriorated, I developed a valgus condition - I looked very knock-kneed with my feet much further out than my knees. As PT explained it, after so many years like that, my IT bands effectively shortened (less distance between the hip and shin), so when the OS straightened my legs with the TKR, the IT bands had to stretch out quite a bit. Not comfortable, but we made it and I love my straight legs even 8 years later!

The calf muscles are different and you'll want to keep stretching those as well as the hammies.

Mrs. Ciz

Country
@Dep
I had my bilateral done in 7/6/20 and I started driving again the 2nd week of September. Driving used to hurt my right knee. I could literally feel the bones rubbing together when I lifted my foot off the gas and put it on the break. Now driving doesn’t hurt at all!!!

Dep

Country
Ireland Ireland
That’s great! Bit too soon for me to get behind the wheel so! Doesn’t realy matter as we’re locked down anyway.

OP
OP
R

Rosy G

Country
The IT band - iliotibial band - is a band of tissue extending from the pelvis along the outside the the leg and attaching to the shinbone just below the knee - a totally unmedical description!! As I understand it, it helps stabilize the knee. As my knees deteriorated, I developed a valgus condition - I looked very knock-kneed with my feet much further out than my knees. As PT explained it, after so many years like that, my IT bands effectively shortened (less distance between the hip and shin), so when the OS straightened my legs with the TKR, the IT bands had to stretch out quite a bit. Not comfortable, but we made it and I love my straight legs even 8 years later!

The calf muscles are different and you'll want to keep stretching those as well as the hammies.
Thank you @NightQuilter Can you let me know which exercises you did for the IT band as that is how one leg was before surgery and it would be good to do that stretch. I drove a short distance today with no problem so feeling a bit more positive!

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
One I came up with was to stand at a 45 degree angle with one side 2-3 feet from wall, with the side needing stretching closer to the wall. Then (try to picture the contortion!) cross the "good" foot in front and closer to the wall and lean into the wall, using the good foot for stability and stretching the outside of the "bad" leg. Try to sink into your hip on the "bad" side a bit for as long as you can, staying at the 45 degree angle to the wall. Standing near a counter works too.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ZonianTerry
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom