Bilateral TKR Bi lateral knee replacement

Eve66

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Posting my first message, thanks all for reassurance and info, lots learnt over the past few nights.

Always awake in the wee small hours with hot legs (unfortunately not aka Rod Stewart lol) and spasms !

Not sure what else to say other than glad to know you are or have gone through it !

Kind wishes

E x

Welcome Eve,
One of the moderators will be along before long, to welcome you and get you set up. You are one of the brave ones to do both knees! I had both my knees done this year, but one at a time. The last one about 2 1/2 months ago. I am very happy with my new knees and am well on my way to building my stamina back up again. These surgeries take something out of you. So hang in there, things will get better. There is so much helpful information & helpful people on this website.

Thanks for your kind message Annie

Thanks also for advising me on the process for getting set up on the forum.

Not sure I 'm brave just a necessity as both knees had ground into each other over the past 4 years, I couldn't even stand long enough to make a meal pre surgery, so hopeful I will manage that soon.

cheers for now

E x

:welome:To Bonesmart! We are glad you found us! Can you please tell us the date of your surgery so we can advise you?

Here is your recovery guidelines.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi and Welcome!

Take things easy and try to relax and let your knee sort itself out, it will if you give it a chance. Very often, less is more!

Welcome to Bonesmart! Spend time reading others' threads and you'll get a good idea of what to expect. Many are led to believe that they'll be back to normal in a few months. That's just not so. This recovery takes an average of a year, though you'll feel better before then. Slow and easy nonpainful movements will help you recover with less pain and swelling. That's the goal of us all.

Hello @Eve66 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom