TKR Better each week

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
I just joined and not sure if I’m posting correctly. I had a RTKR on August 9th and would like to be added to the August group but having difficulty navigating. This looks like an awesome info and support resource and when I feel like I’m not doing well, find reassurance that everything is normal. Thank you!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@patticakes4 Welcome to BoneSmart! You are posting just fine. Keep all your updates and questions on this thread so that we have all your information in one place if we need to advise you.

We will get you added to the August surgery group as well. You can find out who is sharing this journey there.

And here are your recovery guidelines. Lots of information to help you through recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

GZGirl22

Country
United States United States
Welcome! This is a great forum for all the questions you are going to have in your recovery.

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you for the lovely welcome! My surgery was 4 weeks ago and even though my PT says I’m doing great, I don’t feel like I am. I’ve had 2 ACL reconstructions and a menisectomy on the same knee as my TKR so thought I knew what post surgical pain was about, but after this, they were a walk in the park. I ice and elevate several times during the day as any type of movement makes my knee hot and swollen. I do, however, have little milestones like last night where I slept for 3 hours straight! Woohoo! Now if I could just do a full rotation on my bike pedal! After laying in bed(even with leg elevated) my knee is stiff and sore and I was wondering if I should immediately ice it or mobilize it? TIA

Jaycey

Administrator
Country
If you are stiff and sore there is internal swelling. Ice will reduce this swelling allowing you to gain range of motion (ROM). Ice for 45-60 minutes severals times per day. Once you get that inflammation under control that full rotation on your bike will be much easier.

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Jaycey! So I WAS icing 30-40 minutes several times a day and my PT said to reduce the time to 15 minutes at a time. I will try today to do what you suggested and hope for better results!

Jaycey

Administrator
Country
PT always give you the time for icing an injury. You are icing major trauma and it takes a bit longer to get a result. Yes, give it a try!

Sisterpat

post-grad
Country
Yep, Jaycey is so right! Some members ice throughout the night, some for hours at a time. The ice will help quell the inflammation. And :welome: to BoneSmart!

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Congratulations on your new knee. Moving the knee regularly but gently helps a bit with the stiffness--but it doesn't have to be intense. We've found icing, elevating, rest and gentle movement throughout the day is a good recipe. But this is a long recovery process. Hang in there.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Thank you for the lovely welcome! My surgery was 4 weeks ago and even though my PT says I’m doing great, I don’t feel like I am. I’ve had 2 ACL reconstructions and a menisectomy on the same knee as my TKR so thought I knew what post surgical pain was about, but after this, they were a walk in the park. I ice and elevate several times during the day as any type of movement makes my knee hot and swollen. I do, however, have little milestones like last night where I slept for 3 hours straight! Woohoo! Now if I could just do a full rotation on my bike pedal! After laying in bed(even with leg elevated) my knee is stiff and sore and I was wondering if I should immediately ice it or mobilize it? TIA

Yeah, I had a friend tell me the other night that she could "relate" to my surgery because she's had a Meniscectomy on one of her knees. Really???? No, you actually have no idea what I'm going through. Those are definitely a walk in the park compared to a TKR.

Good luck with your continued recovery, @patticakes4 , you are in the right place for support and advice!

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
My RTKR was 4 weeks ago today and I am still having a difficult time sleeping(though I know this is normal for some) I find my evenings from supper until the time I go to bed, very uncomfortable and spend most of that time elevating and icing, especially because I can’t sit for longer than 5-10 minutes. I’m taking 1000 mg of Tylenol every six hours and celebrex 200 mg in the morning. I’m wondering if I should switch out the Celebrex to an nsaid like ibuprofen on a more regular basis. I’m wondering if the anti inflammatory effect has worn off by evening? Any thoughts from the experienced?

FCBayern

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Honduras Honduras
I’ve had 2 ACL reconstructions and a meniscectomy on the same knee as my TKR so thought I knew what post surgical pain was about, but after this, they were a walk in the park.
My pre-TKR history was very similar to yours with 4 different scope procedures including and ACL reconstruction. Those were like having a sliver removed compared to TKR. On the positive side, while the recovery is long and painful, having a pain free knee again is amazing. It gave me an active life again and I haven't looked back.

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you for this hope for a positive outcome FC, I needed that!

Sisterpat

post-grad
Country
patticakes, try to be patient with the process! Try the Tylenol/Motrin protocol and see if that helps more than the Celebrex.
It took me months before I could sleep well, but finally, sleep returned, and it will for you, too, eventually. Hang in there.

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you Sisterpat…. I will try to be patient and also manage my expectations. Before surgery, so many people told me that they thought I would have a great recovery because I was in good shape and would bounce back quickly. I have learned through this forum that everybody recovers at a different pace and that I might not be able to get back outside on my bike or golf before the snow flies Thanks again for the great advice!

OP
OP
P

patticakes4

Country
Canada Canada
I am now almost 7 weeks postop and finally sleeping better! Yay! SisterPat is right…. Just be patient. My incision line is totally closed and scar looks pretty good. I was wondering what people here think about going for a hot tub. I still spend a lot of time icing so don’t know if this would be counter productive?

Sisterpat

post-grad
Country
I’m actually not sure about the hot tub thing. I have a dry sauna and no one could give me any advice on using it post-op. I tried it once or twice and it didn’t seem to have any ill effect. Why don’t you try the hot tub once for a short time and see how it goes...but continue to ice as well.
Glad your sleep has returned! Onward!

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

ski_bum

Country
Canada Canada
I am now almost 7 weeks postop and finally sleeping better! Yay! SisterPat is right…. Just be patient. My incision line is totally closed and scar looks pretty good. I was wondering what people here think about going for a hot tub. I still spend a lot of time icing so don’t know if this would be counter productive?
I'm June 10th. I started to hot tub after one month. I love it. If I have pain, the minute my leg is in the water the pain goes away. I do some leg exercises in the tub. I DO NOT KNOW IF THE HEAT IS RECOMMENDED. Earlier, I even slept for a couple hours when couldn't sleep. Now every early morning, coffee pot and close to one hour in hot tub. This morning I walk 40 minutes, stationary bike 15 minutes, and now icing usually 1 hour. Then some stretches later. I'M NOW WONDERING IF THE HOT TUB IS RECOMMENDED OR NOT. I still have pain & lack of sleep, BUT love the hot Tub.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rick999
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom