Best weekend in a long time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nursepair

supremo
Hi all, This maybe a long post. I had such a terrific time on the work weekend on John Island. I walked a mile from the boat to the camp on sandy, rocky and uneven ground, in record time for me. I did use a cane for walking on all the rough and sandy ground of course.

Slept well in the freezing cabin, we did have a carosene heater in there, but it also has natural "air conditioning" with all the gaps and holes in the walls and doorway. It was about zero I think at night. Bunks are actually quite comfy. Can't sleep in sleeping bags though (too constricting) so had to use duvet's. Took my body pillow, heat pad and ice packs too.

During the day it was gorgeous weather, about 17 degrees, blue skies and sunny. Chilly in the shade, warm in the sun. I swept out the dining hall, cleaned out two cabins, spray painted out the "bad words" grafiti and picked up and loaded 12 wheelbarrow fulls of fire wood around the camp site. The best part was I did all this work without any pain in my new knee!! It was swollen and stiff of course. I just took a 20 minute break for ice and elevation every so often.

Kevin and one of the councilors, Fraser, made a set of steps around one of the cabins decks, made all the raisers by hand too (well with his skill saw).

Saturday night we sat outside and played Sequence with friends and had a few drinks (well I had non alchoholic wine 'cos of the pills). We were frozen by the time we went to bed. We slept in long johns, PJ's and wooly hats that night.

The food was as good as usual, sometimes had to eat el fresco as the floor had to be painted. Sunday morning we ate in the kitchen standing up as it was still quite cold.

I will post some photos on the photo thread. Anyway, thanks for listening. I am so very happy about my new knee. Tomorrow I get to see my surgeon, see if I need that manipulation yet! ((((((((HUGS)))))))))) my friends, Sue

Sue, guess I answered my own question about this being your cabin....now I remember that you were going for a work weekend at a camp! But, Sue.....your narrative does NOT match your photos. It was 17 degrees in the daytime and you were in shorts and a sleeveless top???? Weren't you cold??? At any rate, the site looks fantastic and it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I'm so happy for you!!! Good luck on your doctor's appointment tomorrow. Maybe the manipulation would be a good thing to get you down the road faster. It seems to have worked well for some of the folks. Be sure and let us know how things turn out.

Sue---- when you quote temps you are quoting Celsius, right? Last winter I thought you lived in Antarctica when you talked about how cold it was.... now I am thinking Celsius.....so your zero is our 32 and your 17 is..... dang, I don't even make my students memorize those conversions.... so I don't either.

Glad you had a great weekend. It sure feels good to feel good, huh? You are positively glowing in your pictures!

Yes, sorry, celcius. 17 is about in the low 60's I believe. So it was lovely and warm in the sun, chilly in the shade while not working.

You are right Carolyn, it does make you feel good. Hope you will have that opportunity too again soon. Not long until your scope now eh? Actually by the time we got back to the mainland our faces were literrally glowing with the sun and the wind from Sunday morning!!

Thanks Jamie, I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

I'm so happy for you, Sue. I know how you feel when you can get back to normal. I'm so proud of you. What a great weekend and for a good cause, too. The steps look great. The whole area is gorgeous and it sounds like you all balanced work with fun. I'm so glad you had a great time!

Sue---- when you quote temps you are quoting Celsius, right? Last winter I thought you lived in Antarctica when you talked about how cold it was.... now I am thinking Celsius.....so your zero is our 32 and your 17 is.....

Beach....and Sue....I woke up in the middle of the night thinking Celsius!!! I had a real blonde moment earlier and didn't even THINK about the rest of the world that uses Celcius readings. Now I understand how Sue was so excited about some of those temps a couple of months ago. Man, what a dope I am!

Sue, glad you enjoyed dooing what you love. Yeah TKR! Good luck today with the OS. Let us know. What ever happens, you'll be OK.

Sue, I'm glad you had such a nice time.....getting back to your life....Karen

I'm sooooo glad someone else asked the temperature thing...At first I was thinking that if it was zero, I wouldn't be anywhere near the outside.
Sue that sounds like loads of fun. Remember back in February when it seemed you would never be able to go outside again??

HA! (Box) blondes aren't afraid to ask the (dumb) questions that others just puzzle over! See how useful it is to "highlight" my hair? Otherwise I would have been to embarrassed to ask too! LOL!

Well hey boy, glad to see you back. I'm leaving is about 30 mins to run over to your home state for a few days...going to Gulf Shores...shrimp, fried pickles, and home made pies from Foley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker