TKR bertha's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertha

Country
United States United States
I came home on Wednesday after my left TKR on January 9. I'm feeling ok. Trying to elevate and ice. There is swelling and bruising. PT saying I'm doing well, but I am careful not to overdo. Energy level is getting better but still low. Pain is manageable I am only taking Tylenol every six hours. I'm so glad I found this forum!

@bertha You will noticed your post has been moved into the thread of it's own. This is now your recovery thread. Please keep posts about your recovery here though it is still okay to post in other people's threads if you wish.

Here's some reading you will find helpful - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Welcome, Bertha! Glad to hear you are doing well - the whole thing is a bit of a roller coaster, but it does gradually get better.... So cheers to your recover, and may it be easy and uneventful:cheers2:

Thank you. One day at a time. Finding a comfortable position for sleeping at night is difficult. Is it ok to put a pillow between your legs and sleep,on the side? My back is hurting when I lay on my back even though I never had back issues before.

Sleeping on my side is really the only way I can seem to sleep, mostly because of my cpap mask, so yes, it's doable been doing right from the start of my recovery in the hospital I had the nurse help get me to my side and brace my back with pillows and then I had a pillow between my knees. I wore a velcro like sleeve that held my gel ice packs that wrapped around my leg. In order to really achieve a good rest this early out you may need more than tylenol tho, your not taking a heavy duty pain medication???
Also with starting out on my side right from the beginning, I think I got used to being able to sleep that way and find a comfortable position, my knee has never bothered me by sleeping on my side.

Thank you. I am trying a pillow in between my legs. Did you keep the ice at night? And how long should I keep elevating and icing? More than three weeks?

I kept icing and elevating until I forgot to do it or it became more trouble than the benefits I got from it. At least three weeks, but I would use the ice after three weeks as it felt comfortable. I also used a pillow between my knees at first for sleeping on my side.

I used just Tylenol after the first two weeks for my first knee, but I took four doses per day for the first week or so, then I tapered off to three. After the second knee, I didn't take any medication after three weeks with the exception of two Tylenol a couple of times. I used an essential oil blend that worked well for me.

Glad you're here, Bertha, and it sounds like you're doing great.

Thank you. I also need to do the other knee, but now going through this I am wondering if I really want to do it. I will check out your thread. This forum has been very helpful and informative.

Everyone's experience is different. My surgeon warned me my second knee could be better or worse but not likely to be the same as my first knee (which had an overall excellent recovery). In my case, my second knee was even better than my first (but I had a weird thing happen last Saturday that I have an appointment on Friday to find out what happened). Despite two really good knees, I'm still not happy with stairs and low seats. I've never regretted having the surgeries, though, because my knees were so very awful before.

Icing is beneficial for a long time, I am at 7 months and still do my fair share of icing. You can ice all thru the night. I would put on my ice gel packs in this velcro sleeve around my knee and fall asleep and stay like that all night. In the beginning I would switch it out a time or 2.
I was a bit lacks about icing in the beginning, If I were to do over I would have elevated more nose, above toes and iced more. But you learn from your mistakes, I know now if I ever need to get my second knee done, I know what not to do.
Pain medications, tylenol and advil and things work for pain, but don't always give maybe as much relief as the heavy duty pain pills that are prescribed in the beginning of the recovery period, as it's stated on here, swelling is a form of pain, I know personally I didn't have a lot of bad pain after the first few wks, but I had swelling and still have swelling yet at 7 months out, not bad, but I can feel the tightness.

Welcome, Bertha. I had my LTKR on Dec 8 and rtkr is scheduled for February 23. I have done pretty well with my first TKR anD so happy I did it. I can tell how bad my right one is now so am ready to get it fixed. I sleep on my back and after having hip surgery I have always had a pillow between my legs. Guess it becomes a comfort. Lately, because the right leg doesn't like being straight for long, I put a pillow along side my right leg just to give it a place to turn my knee out on a bit if needed. We do what we have to just to get comfortable to get the rest we need. Good luck in your new knee recovery. For me, it was the best thing I could do to improve my quality of life. Keep icing and elevating anD taking pain meds.

I haven't been icing through the night. You recommend this? Maybe I'll try tonight. Last night was not a good night. I barely slept. I'm thinking to take stronger pain medication tonight. (I've been taking only tylanol)

Also, how long does the knee stay hot? My knee is really hot, not overly swollen or red, just hot.

Many people experience increased pain at night and take a stronger dose of their medication. It's seems far too soon too switch to Tylenol if you are being kept awake by pain. I iced my knee at night also to try to get some sleep.

Your knee will stay warmer due to swelling and healing. As long as it is not hot and you experience increasing pain it is normal.

Recovery is going well. I started pain medication and the pain is much more controlled. Elevating and icing as well. Monday will be two weeks! PT is coming three times a week. I am doing my exercises two times a day. Now using the cane most of the time. Praying for patience. Still not sure if I want to gone through this again for my right knee.

I had my TKR the same day as you. I am also praying for patience!!!! I just keep remembering what my life has been and know this was the right and only decision I could have made. Nights seem endless. I tried to sleep in my bed once since I've been home and just did not work. So the reclining sofa has been my home!! I keep looking forward to summer and having a new life!!!

Did you try sleeping with a pillow between your legs? That is what finally working to help,me sleep.

Glad you were able to find some helpful advice regarding pain meds, sleeping positions and icing. Sounds like your doing better.

Hey, @bertha! My knee is no longer red and burning, but it's still pretty warm to the touch most of the time, and I'm 4.5 weeks out. It seems to be at a steady slightly swollen state now, (mostly) regardless of what I do. Interestingly, before, when I would 'overdo' things, it would swell like a sausage. Now when I overdo, it just aches like mad, but not much outward swelling. Good luck with PT and don't let them get too aggressive with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member