TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

Yay!! Congrats on your great progress!

Tomorrow will be 11 weeks post-op. Not much has changed in the past week-- just baby steps but, thankfully, no setbacks or ODIC experiences.

My walk is getting stronger. I've logged over 7000 steps each of the past few days (according to my fitbit).

My stair climbing have improved enough that I can do the flight to the 2nd floor without stopping. But I'm still struggling with the descent -- I think because I've been double stepping down stairs for so long now that it's become habitual. I can do it on the 4-inch steps at PT, but not on regular-height steps yet. Hoping it will come with with time and repetition

Finally stashed the cane and walker in the attic -- need to save them for knee #2. (Not sure I'm quite ready for that yet...)

@benne68 I have been wondering the same thing, I have been double stepping for so long it seems natural. Going to take some real focus to switch.

I have been double stepping for so long it seems natural. Going to take some real focus to switch.
It's still scary every time I go down foot over foot. Going up foot over foot remains a tad challenging as I build up strength in the quads and buttz.

It sounds like you’re doing good, Benne! When do you plan TKR #2? I haven’t tried the down, foot over foot yet. My infection & cleanout surgery have been some setback, but I don’t think total. But still a bit unsteady taking any steps down. You are braver than me, I think I will keep my cane handy for a good while. I’m OK in the house, always something to brace myself on if I get off balance, but uneasy outside. I believe I am week 8 tomorrow, this past Monday was week 2 since the cleanout surgery. They removed my staples Monday - 22 - and you were right , Hawkie, just a few stings, nothing bad. But, I must confess, as we walked to the car, with only steristrips on the incision, & just my slacks covering, I felt almost naked! I’m so used to that ace bandage covering, I didn’t realize how much security it gave.
7,000 steps.... wow! I need to find my little Fitbit & start using it again.
OK.... getting sleepy.... maybe good night’s sleep tonite. Looks like my. Night guard/nurse ( Kitty Felicity ) coming in. Happy dreams, everyone!

It's still scary every time I go down foot over foot.

@hawk2go My PT told me that if I stop looking down, the descent will be easier. But I'm worried that if I don't look at my feet, I'll miss a step and tumble down the rest of the flight! :thud:

Take it slow @Catalien45 You've been through a lot.

I’m not ready for that, either.....going up is pretty good. I like to watch my feet at this point...... some time ago, long before my TKR, I was coming downstairs, & nosey me, I saw something interesting out the window, just Had to look, & next thing I know, I Missed the next 2 steps, & came tumbling down hard, on my bad knee, of course. fortunately, our stairs are split, with a landing, but, still, right now, that could be pretty bad. I plan to keep watching those feet going downstairs for a good while yet.

Thanks, Benne. I’m looking forward to next week being able to rest more. This week was 3 PT sessions & 3 different Dr appointments, & one was a long wait. So I’m ready for just 1 Dr appointment & 2 PT sessions. I really do wear out fast. No temptation to be star of the ODIC!

My stair climbing have improved enough that I can do the flight to the 2nd floor without stopping. But I'm still struggling with the descent -- I think because I've been double stepping down stairs for so long now that it's become habitual. I can do it on the 4-inch steps at PT, but not on regular-height steps yet.

I have been doing this as well when I go to therapy (on the second floor of the building), no more elevator for me! I struggle going down though. I discussed this with my PT, I'm so used to going down (down with the bad leg, up with the good) first with that left leg that I really struggle with getting my brain to change!

My PT told me that if I stop looking down, the descent will be easier. But I'm worried that if I don't look at my feet, I'll miss a step and tumble down the rest of the flight! :thud:
This is me for sure! I've been so unsteady for so long (prior to surgery) that I need to watch every step I take on uneven terrain and especially stairs. She said to just try the last couple of stairs, don't try it at the top, it's too much at this point.

@Susie-Q Your post makes me feel better. You are several weeks ahead of me, so it's "good" -- :chinstroke: -- to know that you are still working on it.

I like my PT and he's been great about not pushing me on ROM. But this is the one area where he just doesn't get me!

I found a building in my area that had a large staircase with shallow steps (4 inches maybe?) and would go there to work on my stair climbing. The shorter steps helped both with lack of quad strength and allowed my to walk up and down foot over foot much easier. I really think it helped both my strength and flexibility.

That's a great idea @FCBayern! I'm going to search out shorter steps this weekend.

I worked on a step in PT on Wed and had to go up with the left foot, then adjust myself to the edge and then go down with the right foot, giving that left the chance to "work on" being the one to lower me to the next step. The turn around and do it again. I literally had to stop and think about where I was placing my feet, my brain is so used to going "down with the bad leg". The other thing I've been trying at home and on the stairs leaving the PT office is putting my hands on both railings as I'm going down (as long as the stairs aren't too wide plus I have long arms) to give my left knee a bit of a break and not have to support the entire weight of my body as I go down (I'm not a small person!). I'm trying to do stairs "normally" when I go out the front or back door or go into the garage (only 2-3 steps in each place) but I really have to think about it. I don't have to think going up anymore, I've overcome that paradigm.

I literally had to stop and think about where I was placing my feet, my brain is so used to going "down with the bad leg".

The same thing happened to me at PT -- except I kept stepping down with the "wrong" foot. Everyone in the place had a good laugh that I can't tell left from right!

☺️this makes me chuckle! I’m not quite ready for stepping Downstairs like an adult yet, but doing pretty good going Up that way... slowly! And, gotta brag....I took a 30 minute walk outside , both yesterday with my PT& today, with my husband! So mobility is coming back....now, if I can just tackle “ the tireds”.........and, I’m working on the suggestions for my extension.

It’s been about 3 weeks, I find myself going around the house without a cane and generally feel pretty comfortable. If I go out for any walk, I bring the cane not because it is necessary to walk, but to be there in the event of a dip or maybe snagging my foot.
I remember from my last TKR that when I became a little too confident, that is when I would not pick up the leg enough or catch it on a bed post only to regret my over confidence! It is better to be a little more cautious then pay for a setback.

I bring the cane not because it is necessary to walk, but to be there in the event of a dip or maybe snagging my foot.

It's also good for keeping the crowds away! People give you a wider berth when they see it.

Well, I ignored that little voice in my head telling me to slow down -- and am back in the OverDidItClub.

After grocery shopping yesterday morning, went to my mom's to set up her Christmas decorations, then to PT, and then came home and made chicken parmigiana for dinner. I was feeling good this morning, so went out for a mile walk after doing some household chores. After lunch, I decided to put up my Christmas decorations -- but it only took three trips up and down the basement stairs for me to run out of steam.

Spending the rest of the day on the couch. Hubby will have to make supper and the boxes will have to wait til tomorrow.

I never learn...

:good-bad:

Yep, I totally get it! You never know where that line is until you cross it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back