TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

loving my glorified furniture movers

Brilliant! We bought a bunch of those things to move furniture when we redecorated. I'm going to try them. Thanks.

Your ROM number is not the only sign of improvement/progression

Yes, thanks for the reminder @Jockette.

I was actually surprised but the measurement because it feels as though I have much more flexion than that. I can finally climb the stairs reciprocally (holding on for safety!) :happydance: and I can bring my knee most of the way to my chest for my yoga stretches in the morning.

Being able to do those things is definitely more important than the numbers.

As you mentioned earlier, on another thread, the measuring tool is not an exact science, and different people hold it differently, etc. I would think, with all the fuss they make about the ROM number, that there would be a more exact way to measure it! :doh:

My PTs, and my surgeon, always measured after pushing me as far as they could, so my early numbers were “great.” But, there’s no way I could have done that number myself, and I definitely didn’t have the function that number implied. Not to mention the pain they caused me! :hairpulling:

Good news. I'm loving my glorified furniture movers for my heel slides. I actually sprung for a set advertised for exercising. When I got them, I was like - shoot I have these things. Try em if you got em.
1636664601846.png

I've got a drawer full of these things! Both for carpeted floors and wood!

We checked my flexion for the fist time in two weeks. It's at 118, so hasn't changed much (it was 115 then). Maybe I should resume those heel slides after all :chinstroke:
118 is a fantastic at 2 months @benne68! I know recovery seems SO slow, but it took me almost a year to reach your current ROM and long term I've had a spectacular result, hang in there, you're doing great!

Thanks @FCBayern, I know it takes time to heal and I should be more patient (not my forte...). It's just that my frame of reference is my hip replacement, which seemed to go much more quickly. Have to keep reminding myself that this is a much bigger recovery.

BTW, I just noticed that we had our THR's the same week in 2019.

@benne68
Well done you and good luck on your journey.
I am in total awe of anyone that has just had the one knee done and is already talking about when they have there other one done. Full respect to you all on that one.

I think we’re all so busy enjoying life, patience is one of those things that doesn’t really develop. I’m super frustrated right now with this incision infection. Done nothing all day except lay on couch, and sleep, per dr. Orders. And, anxious that it does not get worse, really don’t want to be in hospital. Tomorrow is 48 hours, when the bactrim should show some effect. Fingers crossed.

Thanks @FCBayern, I know it takes time to heal and I should be more patient (not my forte...). It's just that my frame of reference is my hip replacement, which seemed to go much more quickly. Have to keep reminding myself that this is a much bigger recovery.

BTW, I just noticed that we had our THR's the same week in 2019.
Having done The Knee first I was AMAZED by how easy my hip recovery was. Knees are definitely a longer tougher recovery. Moving pain free however makes it more than worth it.

loving my glorified furniture movers

Brilliant! We bought a bunch of those things to move furniture when we redecorated. I'm going to try them. Thanks.

So, I found a couple of furniture movers and have been using them for heel slides on the carpeting.
Thanks for the tip @hawk2go. They really work.

So, I found a couple of furniture movers and have been using them for heel slides on the carpeting.
Thanks for the tip @hawk2go. They really work.
You're very welcome. They're so much better than the plastic bag method.

Well, it's always something, isn't it?

Just when I thought things were heading towards normal, I developed a UTI (ugh). Doc put me on antibiotics, which are already helping... but are causing severe lower GI tract issues. Sticking to the BRAT diet for now, and adding probiotics to try to "stem the tide". Hoping a couple days of rest and fluids will get me back on track.

Sometimes the treatment as a bad as the disease. :oyvey:

I hope you tackle that latest setback without issue. Keep your head up!

Oh no!!! Boy, can I relate to this! I'm sorry, it's no fun trying to combat a UTI while you're still healing in your knee. Keep those probiotics going!

Oh dear all the best to everyone . It really is like a roller coaster ride this knee replacement recovery for so many people bless us all let's hope we can all just feel proud we made it when the ride eventually stops!

Oh I forgot to mention I have ordered some CBD Gummies from Holland and Barrett ( a well known health care shop in the UK) had to sneakily have them delivered to my daughter's home as don't want husband to see the price!!
They are soooo expensive! How they work for sleep though as husband is threatening to move in spare room as I keep him awake he says ( if you could hear him snore you would not believe a word of it) hopefully if Gummies do work I can justify price oh and in my defense they were by one bottle get the other for one penny! BARGAIN... I hope!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back