TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

I used the silicone patches on my scar and I do think they helped flatten the scar. They are quite pricey but you can wash and reuse them so one pack lasts quite a time. I opted for the smaller size and used 2 for the whole scar and then just the 1 at the top part of the scar. The advantage for me was that they really helped with the sensitivity issue I had at that time.

I used the silicone patches on my scar and I do think they helped flatten the scar.

Thanks, @patriciad. I was researching them and trying to get a sense of whether it was worth the cost. Good to know they work!

If you buy the smaller size they are quite a bit less expensive. I got mine on Amazon. Let me know if you’d like the link.

Note to everyone, when buying anything from Amazon, please consider going through Amazon Smile.

If you choose to make any purchases through Amazon (not just this item, but anything you buy), sign up for the smile.amazon program. This allows you to have Amazon donate a small portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. You pay nothing extra! You get products you want and we get help to keep BoneSmart up and running. Here is a link to smile.Amazon:

About smile.amazon

Be sure when you sign up that you designate our parent non-profit organization,

“The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc“ (FARM).

Any funds go directly to BoneSmart through them and you are allowed to take a tax donation deduction.

Thanks for your support of Bonesmart! :flwrysmile:

We prefer you don‘t post an actual link that takes members off our site. Please just write the name of the product and then we can do a search on Amazon for it. Thanks!

@Jockette - good reminder about the Amazon smile program I use it every purchase I make to benefit my local Cancer Center.
Here is an image of the product I was happy with. I still have half a box left as you wash and reuse them. Believe it or not they don’t lose their stickiness. Tip - don’t throw away the backings they can be used to dry the patches after washing.
62BEB2F6-9E59-46B6-90C8-F3B29930803C.jpeg
I used two of these small ones then eventually just one. They come in a bigger size too.

Although I've been making steady progress (baby steps) in my recovery, I continue to struggle with intense fatigue that hits me in the early afternoon.

I may have found a partial answer: just received results of my annual thyroid blood tests, which show I am quite hypothyroid. I had a thyroidectomy in 1998 (for thyroid cancer) and have needed synthetic thyroid hormone ever since to replace it. My medication level is checked annually and, in 20+ years, have never had such a dramatic swing in my hormone levels.

Will be seeing my endocrinologist on Friday to discuss but am wondering if it has anything to do with surgery and all the pain meds, etc.

Anyone else out there who is on thyroid hormones experience this post-op?

Stress has such an effect on our bodies that it definitely could be affecting your thyroid issue. I don’t have any real knowledge but do know as a diabetic that it was hard to keep my blood sugars regulated for those first few weeks. I was also very tired and read it was all part of normal progress so was an afternoon nap taker for at least 8 weeks. I fall asleep occasionally still! Hope you get to resolve this issue and generally feel better soon.

I don't have a thyroid problem but I was also a daily napper for at least the first 4 weeks post-op. Every afternoon somewhere around 3ish, I would feel sleep coming on and I'd turn off the tv, recline the couch even further and let sleep take me. I haven't napped for a couple of weeks now though as I'm finally coming out of things and getting a little more stamina.

I do think this surgery has caused a shock to my body that is manifesting in some thinning hair. I've had this happen when I've lost a bunch of weight, after I had my babies and now from the surgery.

@benne68 @Susie-Q
Gosh yes I forgot about losing hair every shower! I too have had that happen after surgeries in the past and definitely a sign of stress on the body.
Hope you get good news on the thyroid issue.

Day 35

So I'm "celebrating" my 5th week post op as a member of the Overdid It Club! I was feeling good yesterday and tried to "show off" my flexion at PT. Got to 115, but had to take Oxy last night for the first time in more than a week. Today my knee is swollen and my leg aches: I've spent most of the day icing and elevating and have a feeling it's going to take several days to recover.

This was my own fault; the therapist didn't push me. Guess some people (me) can only learn moderation the hard way. :headbang:

Be easy on yourself @benne68. It really is hard to mind the guardrails when we feel so much better than we did just a few short weeks ago. Rest, recover and don't be such a show-off - lol :rotfl:

I am a proud member of the Overdid It Club and can only hope I don't meet the requirement too often.

@ValleyGirl I'm sure our moderators will come in here and give you some advice but I'm thinking you should just cancel PT tonight and rest, ice and elevate. It sounds like your knee is angry and needs to take a break from everything.

@benne68 and @hawk2go , proud ODIC member here too! Was it @VSing or @Scanne who said they wake up and slap themselves silly for overdoing it the day before? :heehee: Be gentle with that slap! :snork:

We never learn the easy way - so many of us are in the been there, done that, bought the teeshirt and might forget I have!! Just take it easy as planned and it will improve. It’s so hard to get your head around the length of time it takes to fully heal from this surgery. Anything a bit too much and all those internal tissues and tendons get very inflamed. Just getting over a 2 week spell myself and I’m 4 months out.

Felt so good today walk a whole 1/2 mil today. :walking:

Couldn't do that pre-op, so it felt like a triumph! No ill effects (yet....).

I'm still taking the cane for safety when I leave the house, but notice that my gait is better without it. Anyone willing to share their experience/insights on giving up walking aids?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom