TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

I don’t remember having any trouble eating after my surgery. I was actually hoping to have a loss of appetite so I could lose weight, but I didn’t. Once again, we are all different.
Me too. I am super hungry so probably eating more then I should..I was hungry even right after surgery in hospital. So much for losing weight. We are all so different.

Day 5 -- Hardest day so far between pain, swelling, lack of sleep and queasiness from all the meds. Decided to just give in to it and baby myself today. Hoping that tomorrow will be a better day.

Every day is different, some good, some not so. When your knee says rest me please then that is exactly what you should do. I'm 17 days post op and think I slightly over did it yesterday because my knee is saying to me rest me today please, so that is what I am doing. I hope your tomorrow is a better day benne68.

These are the hardest days so just take care of yourself and baby that new knee - it will get better. I am nearly 11 weeks out and had a day doing nothing but elevating and icing yesterday as my knee would not stop hurting with all sorts of new pain - nothing like that first week however and only when I’ve overdone it or slept wierd. If nausea is more severe than ginger tea, ginger ale or chews can ease maybe you need a prescription med. I had some for that first week and they had the bonus of making me sleepy. Take care rest up and look forward to better days ahead.

Day 6 -- Had my 2nd PT visit today. She was happy with my flexion, but not happy about my gait. Apparently, I swing the operated leg out to the side rather than heel-toe-lift as I walk. She wanted to add more exercises to my list, but I pushed back. I reminded her that my surgeon said my "only" job for the first two weeks is to ice and elevate.

I'm grateful to Bonesmart for giving me the courage to say NO!. :egypdance:

Good for you. Your PT can file away the gait work for a bit later.

Good job, Benne! You are in control! My Sister lost her appetite for quite a while after her TKR. Don’r worry, it will come back. Your body has undergone major trauma.

I have lost my appetite after all of my surgeries and call it the 10lb diet. Pain will cause this as well as drugs. I try to pick only whole foods and stay away from sugary foods as they will cause inflammation, as well as dairy. I have noticed that being super careful of what I eat this time has helped with swelling and my feet and ankles were much better.

I am on day 12 now but still am in pain with some swelling. I can rub my calf and it does not feel like cement. Not doing much. The dr said my rom should be at 90 degrees in 14 days. Is anyone struggling with that?

I also have afib and landed in the ER last night. I imagine a lot of things contributed to that.…

Oh my! So sorry you had to go the ER! :flabber: I hope you are feeling better.....

@benne68 - I am also thinking that pre surgery it was very difficult to exercise so that once we are back to 2 functional knees and more active that will help with weight loss. It was a bit of a vicious cycle - bad knee = less active = weight gain = worse knee etc.
Hope you are having a better day today.

Hi there! Yes, we are knee buddies! I am off to first PT this morning so will be interested to get baseline figures. Knee still swollen and painful but I struggle with tolerating pain meds so only really use paracetamol (4x1000 mg daily) plus a Nefpam at night and I have ibuprofen for breakthrough pain, but can only tolerate 200mg a day. Cannot tolerate codeine or any Tramadol-type meds.

Week one down. Now that I've finished the course of Tormodol, my nausea has cleared up, but my pain is definitely more intense. Trying to find the right schedule of Tylenol and Oxycodone to manage it. Spending most of my day icing and elevating -- and feeling sorry for myself.

I need a fast-forward button to jump ahead to next week!:heehee:

At one week post-op I was taking 1 oxy every 3 hours and Tylenol and Advil alternating every 3 hours around the clock. This is still a time of intense pain so make sure you are taking enough meds and on a regular basis. I started taking the oxy every 4 hours a few days later. This is just what I did, I hope you find what works for you!

Yes, its a real balancing-act getting the pain meds right. I knew I would struggle a bit as I can't take any decent heavy-duty painkillers. Have had to add in ibuprofen 400mg once a day now on top of my 4x1000mg paracetamol (tylenol) plus 1xNefpam at night. I agree, let's fast-forward to week 4.

Day 10. I think I've found the right balance of pain meds for me. I'm taking 1000mg Tylenol every 8 hours for round-the-clock coverage, then add 5mg oxycodone every 4 hours starting in the evening to help get me through the night. I don't seem to need it during the daytime, but it definitely helps me sleep.

The bruising has finally peaked -- my leg is starting to look like it belongs to the incredible hulk. The swelling also seems to be down a tiny bit this morning. Not big progress, but directionally correct. :)

My bruising has faded on the back of my knee and thigh but the ones on my lower leg and ankle are still nice and colorful. Yellow, green and purple! You are cruising right along, @benne68 ! I noticed a good drop in pain at around 2-3 weeks post-op. I hope that works for you too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88