TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

I have similar progpress At 4 weeks. Still lots of evening pain. When I wake in The morning my rom and extension has tightened back up and it is hard to get the stretches back To the day before. I still tire easily after being up and about doing daily chores. I do not feel ready to go outside and walk yet. I am afraid of losing my stamina from not walking enough. Also wonder if anyone has a recommendation on what to put on the incision for moisturizer? I put Vaseline on it but with some crusting still there not sure if this is proper.

I was told to just let it be crusty. That is the incision glue, the white stuff..... Don't put any lotion or anything near the incision, let it be dry and crusty and it will eventually flake off and go away. My incision is now pink and worm-like but hopefully it will flatten out with time.

Last edited:
Don't put any lotion near the incision, let it be dry and crusty and it will eventually flake off and go away. My incision is now pink and worm-like but hopefully it will flatten out with time.

Thanks @Susie-Q!

It's so great to have all of your guys sharing your advice, experiences and wisdom. I have a new referent for the term "it takes a village." :)

I tire easily. My day runs something like this: 2 hours of activity followed by 2 hours on the couch (while icing & elevating); lunch; 2 hours of activity followed by 2 hours on the couch; dinner; 1 hour of activity followed by 3 hours on the couch; bedtime.
That's a lot of activity for only 3 weeks in @benne68. Too much activity will definitely lead to pain in the evening and night. Take another look at the activity guidelines for TKR.

That's a lot of activity for only 3 weeks

@FCBayern Thanks for the reminder. Most of my "active" time (when I'm not lying on the couch icing and elevating) isn't walking, it's sitting -- either out on the deck or at the kitchen table. I do things like read a book or a blog or shop online or visit this forum. I'm only on my feet for about 15 minutes each hour to get in my steps or to help prepare a meal.

I probably need a different term for "activity." Maybe there's active activity and passive activity? :what:

Icing and elevating while you read etc. will also help.

Day 28. Made it to the 4-week mark and, while I still have pain and limitations, I know I am improving.

Making progress on
Walking. I logged more than 5,000 steps on my FitBit twice in the past week. I don't need my cane for walking around indoors. (I do take it for outdoor walks to be safe).

ROM. The walking and gentle stretching seems to be working. I was able to get in and out of the car today without moving my seat all the way back. My PT measured my flexion at 109 and that was without him pushing or pulling on my knee.

Pain & fatigue. Although I'm certainly not pain-free, the pain seems to be lessening -- and that gives me more energy for ADLs. I've prepared lunch on my own and helped with dinner the past couple of days. I even did a little sweeping I make sure to ice and elevate after periods of activity.

Still working on
Stairs. Still need to double up on each step; the new knee doesn't flex enough to climb reciprocally. Haven't even tried going down that way.

Sleep. Knee pain awakens me several times each night and I have some difficulty getting back to sleep. I know this is a common complaint, so I'm trying to be patient.

Getting back to work. I'm no longer taking an opioids, but I'm still waiting for the "brain fog" to lift enough for me to start working again. Perhaps it's lack of sleep?

My biggest challenge is practicing patience. I want a magic wand that speeds up the recovery and jumps me ahead about month. If anybody has come across one of those, please share! :wink:

My biggest challenge is practicing patience. I want a magic wand that speeds up the recovery and jumps me ahead about month. If anybody has come across one of those, please share! :wink:
If someone could figure that one out they would never worry about money again! :heehee: You're making good progress, it's just way too slow for any of us. :bored: The patience muscle is the toughest in recovery, but if you can exercise it, it will pay the most dividends.

You're doing well! You're pretty early to think about doing stairs normally. And be aware that going down comfortably usually takes longer than going up.

Congratulations @benne68 You have made real progress in such a short time since your surgery so continue with the good work. The patience is definitely a challenge isn’t it? Mine is currently worn very thin! Stairs I had to work at in the beginning weeks and practice with my stick going down with operated leg first and reversed for going up which is what my in home PT had me doing.
A few weeks ago I did a series of 40 in reach of the handrail but not using it. Felt really great to be able to do that. Carry on doing what you are doing as it obviously is working well for you.

It is inspiring for me to read of your progress. You are about three weeks ahead of me, and I realise that all our journeys are different, but it’s good to hear about your achievements!

My biggest challenge is practicing patience. I want a magic wand
Yes please!

Sounds like your recovery is going very well. In terms of patience, fake it until you make it! I have to remind myself that slow progress is still progress and overdoing only hurts me. Week 4/52.

@benne68 I think my OS said not to put anything on the incision until you see no scabs. Then I started using Bio Oil, and it is very moisturizing and smells nice too. Some people say they break open a vitamin E capsule too.
You sound like you are doing great!!!

I got a disabled parking pass from my surgeon's office when I went at 2 weeks post-op. I don't really need it to park close (unless I'm somewhere that's crowded with a huge parking lot, hasn't happened yet.....I'm thinking Costco) but what I do need it for is the extra space between cars so I can open my door wider to get my left leg out! I already have my seat pushed back as far as it will go (I'm tall, 5'10") and sometimes I have to scoot myself towards the middle console so I have room to bend my leg to get it out the door. Being able to open that car door all the way definitely helps. I always feel guilty and that people are staring at me, wondering why I need a disabled pass since I'm walking without a limp. I'm fully prepared to whip my pant leg up and show them my scar if they want to know why I have a pass!!!! :rotfl: It's only valid through December, which will be perfect for close Christmas shopping!!

One thing I didn't do last knee or this knee is ride one of those scooters in the grocery store. I don't know why, I just never did as I was able to walk around fine by the time I was ready to go shopping and the cart works as a great walker.

I'm fully prepared to whip my pant leg up and show them my scar

If the weather was warmer, we could just wear shorts to ward off those evil looks. :heehee: I'm still using my cane for outings (although I haven't been anywhere except to the doctor and PT.)

Since the surgery was on my right knee, I'm not yet able to drive, but I love the disabled parking pass suggestion for when I can. Hadn't thought of it until just now, but I have my 94-y-o mother's pass because I drive her to all her doctor's appointments -- or, at least, I did before my surgery. We were quite something to see: she hobbling behind her walker and me with my cane!

@Reader525 and @dogwalker2 Thanks for the BioOil suggestion. I still have quite a few scabs, so I'll have to wait a bit, but I'll definitely order some in my next pharmacy delivery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads