TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

I noticed a good drop in pain at around 2-3 weeks post-op. I hope that works for you too.

Me too! The pain has been pretty bad the past couple of days so I'm looking for any light at the end of the tunnel. (..as long as it's not an oncoming train :fingersx: )

You'll still need those pain pills though! And Tylenol and Advil (if your doc says you can take them). I was still taking my oxy every 4 hours until just recently. 9-23 (3.5 weeks post-op) I started stretching it to every 6 hours and yesterday to every 8 hours. My PA said it's normal to keep taking oxy for at least 3-4 weeks so don't be a hero this early! I'm also still icing and elevating all day when I'm on the reclining couch and doing the ice machine most of the night.

Two week post op today.

The past few days have been a bit of a roller coaster: Yesterday I was feeling really good. The swelling was down and I was able to do my exercises without irritating the knee. I still had some pain, of course, but it was manageable with Tylenol during the day. Didn't need to take any Oxy til bedtime.

This morning, however, I didn't want to get out of bed! The knee is really stiff and throbbing and I'm back to taking Oxy during the day for pain relief. I've been icing and elevating consistently, so I'm not sure why the big change.

I have a post-app visit with my surgeon tomorrow and don't know which version of the above to share. Both, I guess?

Two weeks is still early days for this brutal surgery, so what you’re feeling is 100% normal. Two weeks did seem to be a turning point for me though. I still have ups and downs but overall, everyday is a little bit easier with a little less pain and discomfort.

The good days /bad days is very normal especially this early on. Eventually the percentage shifts and there are more good to ok days than bad days as you heal. You still have to contend with bad days months along - just this past week I’ve had several and found myself back in the recliner icing and elevating all day after doing a little too much granddaughter lifting :) ! It’s a big surgery but thank goodness we don’t have to go it alone but have the knowledge and support of all the wonderful people on this forum.
Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

@benne68 .... your body is telling you that it's too soon to stop taking something on a regular basis for pain relief. It's not unusual for you to feel the pain of overdoing things the next day and not right after doing the exercise or activity. You're only a few weeks out from this very major surgery. Please don't try to get off pain medication too soon. Most people need something on a regular basis for a month or so. Also, if you're going to try using Tylenol, be sure you are taking the full dose of 1000mg every 6 hours for a total of 4000mg in any 24 hour period. When you're using Tylenol for pain relief, be sure and count any other medications you might be taking with acetaminophen in them, like cold and sinus medication.

Sorry you are struggling with nausea - that is horrid. My pain meds have the opposite effect and make me really hungry!

Day 16. Had my 2-week post op with the surgeon yesterday. He said I the incision looks great, was happy to see the reduction in swelling and was pleased to see that I'm at 90/1 after two weeks of just gentle stretching.

He did recommend that I start PT next week, with the caveat that I should listen to the knee. I've made an appointment with a therapist I've worked with before and am hopeful he will listen when I tell him that I want to take a slow and gentle approach.

I was surprised by how tired I was after the outing. I guess I shouldn't be -- it's the first time I was up and about for 3 hours straight since the surgery! Had a nice long nap in the afternoon. Guess this will be my new routine for a while: activity, followed by nap; activity, nap. Sounds like a plan.

Great news, Benne! Yes, exert a little, rest a little. Eventually, the periods of exertion will extend. Your knee will tell you what it needs. Make sure PT respects that!

Congratulations- you are doing great and your OS sounds like he has a realistic approach to healing. Keep up the good work, go easy with the PT and continue with your excellent progress.

Congratulations! Yes, it's amazing how much going out will wipe you out. You are doing well!

That sounds great. Had my first hydro appt last week and it has really helped me to move forward. Have a good appointment ☺

Day 22: I made it past the 3 week mark!

Here's summary of where I am for those who are in earlier days (and also as a reminder for me when I do knee #2!)

The progress:
I'm walking more and with less difficulty. Yesterday, my Fitbit logged me at 3,500 steps (not all at once, of course.) While my gait is still not quite normal, I'm no longer doing the penguin waddle. :happyfeet:

I can sleep on my side again! This is huge. While I still wake up a couple of times during the night, I'm sleeping much better and for longer periods now that the knee pain has lessened enough for me to resume the fetal position.

The swelling is way, way down. I noticed that I gained 5 pounds of fluid weight between the day before and the day after surgery. Most of that is gone and, as a result, my flexion is sloooooooowly improving. Although I'm still only at about 95, I've noticed that I can sit down and stand up without having to balance all my weight on the good leg.

I'm able to do some light-duty ADLs again, like helping prepare meals. (Although hubby has been doing such a great job, I'm not hurrying to replace him.....)

The challenges:
I am still struggling with a fair amount of pain -- especially late in the day. My physical therapist said it's probably the result of the leg realignment. My leg was badly bowed and the surgeon had to straighten it quite a bit, which has thrown all the muscles from the ankle to the hip into confusion. He has me focusing on self-massage on key muscle groups at home to help this resolve. I'm still taking the max dose of acetaminophen, but have run out of Oxy and my surgeon won't prescribe more.

I tire easily. My day runs something like this: 2 hours of activity followed by 2 hours on the couch (while icing & elevating); lunch; 2 hours of activity followed by 2 hours on the couch; dinner; 1 hour of activity followed by 3 hours on the couch; bedtime.

My brain is still too foggy for work. Although I'm able to concentrate enough to read a book, I'm not really clear enough to start working again. I'm a writer, so I can work from home lying on the couch once my brain kicks back in.

So, progress is slow but directionally correct! :fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

You are doing great, @benne68 ! I still tire easily and I'm 5+ weeks post-op. If you're like me, expect that to last for awhile yet. I'm doing about the same on activity. Bursts of activity followed by a couple of hours on the couch with ice. I'm sorry you are still having pain. I was still taking oxy at 3 weeks, every 4-6 hours but I did start tapering off soon after.

So, progress is slow but directionally correct!
I like to say overall progress improves but every day is a rollercoaster! I'm having many similar experiences. Finally able to sleep on my side again and recently figured out that when pain wakes me in the middle of the night, 1-5mg oxy takes the edge off. I use meloxicam and tylenol throughout the day.

I have similar progress At 4 weeks. Still lots of evening pain. When I wake in The morning my rom and extension has tightened back up and it is hard to get the stretches back To the day before. I still tire easily after being up and about doing daily chores. I do not feel ready to go outside and walk yet. I am afraid of losing my stamina from not walking enough. Also wonder if anyone has a recommendation on what to put on the incision for moisturizer? I put Vaseline on it but with some crusting still there not sure if this is proper.

Last edited:
This is a roller coaster recovery, y’all! A year long - or longer - time span. Will be good days and not - so - good days for many weeks ahead. Relax and enjoy the ride.

wonder if anyone has a recommendation on what to put on the incision for moisturizer? I put Vaseline on it but with some crusting still there not sure if this is proper.

@Virginia123 That's a great question. I was wondering about using either silicone strips or a Vitamin E cream, both to moisturize and minimize the scar, but am afraid to start too early since the medical team advised me not to put anything on the incision for at least a month.

Hope someone has experience or advice they can share.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom