THR BellaMac Recovery

Blessings for a successful, uneventful surgery and a good, pain controlled recovery. Deep breath. That terrible joint pain will soon be a thing of the past! See you on the healing side!

All the best tomorrow! I'll leave your recovery guidelines here ready for you to review post op.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

This forum is an absolute godsend. I don't feel alone, and I am so grateful to all who post. For those new like me, read others experiences, it helps. My surgery is 7:30 tomorrow morning and I now feel so much more mentally and emotionally prepared.

I will be thinking about you tomorrow, Bella Mac. Hoping you catch a few z’s tonight.
Just think, tomorrow night at this time your body will be in healing mode and hopefully you’ll be resting comfortably with pain well managed. Will look forward to hearing from you when you’re feeling up to it.
Hugs and all the best to you!
@BellaMac

@BellaMac Good luck on your surgery tomorrow! You will not regret your decision to have it done. Hope you have a smooth recovery and ice will be your best friend lol Keep us posted!

@BellaMac Congrats on the new hip! Glad it went well. Don't be shy about asking for ice packs, they do help while you are recovering!

Sounds good. Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations. Lunch and breakfast were missed for me. They gave me crackers and a ginger ale. I could really use some food. Lol
I was just told they finally have a room for me. It’s been 6 hours. I can’t complain though. No pain so far. Hope that’s the case for you as well.

Congrats on your new hip! Great news your pain is well managed. With any luck you’ve had lunch by now and possibly even dinner too. Always wonderful news to hear all went well during surgery. I hope you get some restorative rest overnight. :sleep:
@BellaMac

In my room with my new hip. Surgeon said everything went well. Not in terrible pain, but very sleepy. Waiting for lunch!!!!!!
Got me up did great walking, up and down stairs. Aftetwarda Pain is a 10 and morphine 4mg is not working as well as I would like. Sent me home around 3. Staying at my daughter's for night, she lives close to hospital I was at.. vs the hour drive to my house.

I am not diabetic, oddly my blood sugar spiked and they gave me insulin. I'll follow up with my pcp since not mentioned in discharge papers. I emphatically told this surgeon I wanted ceramic and polyethylene parts - not metal/titanium. I said my husband has researched (he has a doctorate in anatomy) and ceramic and polyethylene is what I should have.. Dr. James Rubano said ok. He installed titanium today!

Hello
How does one get to have peace of mind before I go in for surgery?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom