Beezel's Pre-op thread

Beezel

Country
United States United States
I would appreciate knowing what the pain was like from surgery, week by week

@Beezel
Hi and Welcome! Please post your surgery date and we’ll make a signature for you.

You can start a Recovery Thread in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area, and we can answer your questions there.

Hello @Beezel ,
I've moved your poss from the October Feisties Recovery monthly thread, and started a pre-op thread for you.

The monthly threads are really just for people to see who else is having surgery around the same time as they are. They are not for asking questions or writing updates about progress.

Are you planning to have a knee replacement? If so, please tell us the date , if you have it.

Pain. It's different from arthritis pain, and for the first month I found it in some respects worse. Getting up from seated, for example, was a true challenge.

Pre-op pain is bad, crippling, horrible, demoralising, and only gets worse. Post-op is similar, except that the pain only gets BETTER. Very worth it, IMO

I’ve written a post about my experience, under two weeks out. I’ve left it on my thread. Everyone’s different, but maybe it will give you an idea of the post op pain in one person’s shoes.

Everyone is different however if you pop across to the recovery post op forum you can read several accounts - mine started lying in the hospital 2 hours after surgery, as I wasn't administered the correct pain medication initially it hurt quite badly but once this was sorted the pain subsided, it did take a good week of resting /elevating and icing and plenty of TLC allow others to help you and take the 1st couple of weeks to heal, I only started PT almost at the end of the 2nd week and then it was (and still is) a very gentle approach whilst at home in the 1st week of post op I did heel slides and a few exercises the hospital sent me home with, however once I was able to move around - bedroom to kitchen or lounge, I was getting exercise just in movement.
My advice is relax this pain does get better with time, there is no competition each and everyone of us heals at our own pace.
Good luck with your forth coming surgery xx

@Beezel - Are you considering having a knee replacement? Can you tellus a bit more aout yourself and your knees?
Will it be a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) or a Partial Knee Replacement (PKR)?
Have you seen a surgeon yet?

The thing about post-op pain is that it gets better all the time, which is different from pre-op pain, which will continue to get worse.

Yes, having a knee replaced does hurt at first, but there are many ways of controlling that pain. Have a look at the section on Pain Management in the blue bar at the top of your screen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom