BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Been rescheduled !!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by barzeen, Mar 29, 2019.

1. barzeen

barzeen junior member

United States United States
    Apparently I have a rare bacterial UTI infection so my surgery has been cancelled until he is convinced I'm cleared.. minimum 4-6 weeks.. just majorly bummed.. I absolutely understand but just so want my life back.. been having a rough time to begin with having this done and now it drags on..
    just having a real panicky moment.. Feel like a prisoner in my own home.. go out when i must otherwise terrified of any more falling...and of course the sun is out and its my favorite time of the year... this to shall pass.. just in a bumming mood... thank you for listening/ understanding...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    A hundred hugs from New Zealand. My surgery was canceled on the table (had a tiny mosquito bite) and I had to wait 5 more weeks.

I felt like you. I could not believe it was happening to me. The pain plus I was rapidly becoming immobile as my knee kept buckling and locking made me fall frequently, meant I felt trapped and tentative. A prisoner to my tyrannical knee.

Um now almost 4 weeks post op now and all I can say to you is "kia kaha" which means stay strong in the language of our indigenous people. Now is not the time to give in and let any mire if your life be taken from you. You will get surgery. You will be in better shape for it without an infection that could totally ruin your life and you have a final opportunity to eeview your rehab and post op plan to get the smoothest outcome you can. In darkness there is opportunity xxx

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I can certainly understand why you'd feel really bummed out today. I mean you finally get your head around all that is to come with surgery and then --- no go. You have every right to whine a bit. You've come to the right place as we all can understand your frustration.

Of course it is a very good thing this was discovered before you had your surgery as you truly don't want to go into it with any type of bacterial infection. I know the "rational you" gets this. Here's hoping the next 4-6 weeks goes by fast for you. See if you can plan some things to do that you really enjoy. Maybe a little shopping therapy. Or lunch with friends. See a good movie. Maybe even a weekend getaway somewhere fun. Or a long drive in the countryside to enjoy a sunny day. And, of course, you can always come here and talk with your fellow BoneSmarties. We'll work hard to keep your spirits up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sorry to hear your surgery has been postponed, for the best, it is not worth the risk of an infection.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @barzeen So sorry to read your surgery has been postponed. Are you on antibiotics now? If so, try drinking one of those probiotic yogurt drinks every morning to keep the bacteria balanced.

I hope you get your new date soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. jellycats

jellycats new member

@barzeen My March 5 surgery was rescheduled for April 16, so I feel your pain! (Literally and figuratively!) I had a flare up of diverticulitis, a bacterial infection I knew would lead to cancellation of the surgery. I remember curling up on the sofa and telling my husband that I was so tired of living with pain. After finishing the antibiotics, I saw my PCP for clearance to reschedule with my surgeon, and her parting words were: Don't get the flu! Three days later I was in a MedExpress testing positive for Flu A and getting a prescription for Tamiflu. I feel like swaddling myself in bubble wrap and retreating from the world until I am safely through the surgery! @rosieNZ shared her experience of a mosquito bite postponing her first TKR, so I knew others had been in my situation. I took to heart other words of encouragement--to focus on a few extra weeks to do pre-op exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee and get the house in order, plan lunch with a friend, etc. And, yes, we definitely don't want bacteria swimming around as we head into a new life with a new knee! Take care and keep us posted when you have a new date.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

Oh @barzeen what bad luck. Still, as others have said you wouldn't really have wanted to go into the op with that hanging over you.
    The time will soon pass and your op will come round again before long.
    In the meantime try to find some things to help pass the time. I am post op now but am currently sitting here doing a jig saw puzzle.
    Best wishes

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm so sorry your surgery had to be postponed - but it's for a good reasons.
    Please let us know how you get on and when you have a new surgery date.

9. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh how frustrating. Just when you are all ready too!! But, I am glad that your surgeon is careful about infection, which you do not want to have. I hope these six weeks pass quickly.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Irish471

Irish471 senior

So sorry! I would be upset, too! Try to see the positives. Now you have more time to prepare. We all just want to get the show on the road and get 'er done when the surgery is just a few days away.I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Big hugs to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth junior member

I really do feel for you. My first surgery date was changed 4 times from 8th to 11th back to 8th then 11th and finally back to the 8th in a different hospital! Frustrating but all was well in the end. It turned out that the surgeon had been a local incident and that others needed surgery more than I. Take heart, the op is certainly worth waiting for.
    Big hugs xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Woodpusher

Woodpusher junior member

Yeah, something as small as mosquito bite? It must have been right in the area.

Ken

13. barzeen

barzeen junior member

Because of the infection i need to redo pre-testing tomorrow... and I have rescheduled date for surgery on 4/23/19..assuming all goes well tomorrow... Anxiety is beyond ridiculous...so many unanswered questions..i get in and out of bed on my right knee..the one getting fixed.. i assume they will teach me a new way... how do you get in and out of cars.. i don't want to watch videos i'll freak..
    i know i will need help.. i just do not want to be a burden.. when u start to walk do u put pressure on surgical knee? requiring upper strength that i don't have... im trying to be prepared and its not working..and to add insult to injury i also struggle some incontinence depression and anxiety.. all i have them about..not sure how they all fit in the game plan..so very wish it were over..

14. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Fantastic. It will over soon and you will be moving forward again xx.
    In my country (New Zealand) post op care and rehab may be differant. But here goes.
    I got up the same day as the surgery because you have ti go to the bathroom.
    It was ok. You get pain relief directly into the joint plus IV and oral meds. I walked using a walker (but could have used crutches). The next day I was independent but using walking aids. I was discharged on my 3rd day post op.
    For home I bought a leg lifter. I think I saw them on this site. It was amazing. Has a loop for your foot and a hand hold with a rigid line between. It worked perfectly and easily. I lifted my leg in and out of bed and my recliner using it for the first week and then sporadically in week 2 post op.
    U had an epidural for surgery and I found incontinence an issue for the first 2 weeks. Bladder tone improved plus my mobility increased so this ceased to be a problem. If yoy find you have struggles with continence I am sure nurses will advise you. Its tough if you cant make it to the bathroom in time and embarrassing so its worth talking it through with staff. They will be there to help you.
    Most people feel anxious about surgery. Weirdly I wanted and needed it so badly and yet was anxious about it. I read widely and got all my plans together for all the aids I could. I guess I like to be in control rather than free fall!!!! On the day of the surgery I was chilled and relieved my nightmare was finally going to be over and I could start thinking beyond those first few post op weeks. I followed bonesmart philosophy and rested, iced, elevated and used compression. I took meds regularly. I did no exercises or PT, just walked to the bathroom and to bed or the kitchen. It was ok. Now I am 5 weeks post op and its wonderful. Best wishes, be positive, dream of a better future and get your plans together. Then you will have done all you can and it will be the health professionals job to do what they are good at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you have a new surgery date, @barzeen .
    I've merged your threads, so we have a complete history of the postponement and re-scheduling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jajakio

Jajakio graduate

Hopefully you will get some instructions before you leave the hospital sometimes it is called physical therapy or occupational therapy. My hospital had a "gym" wth bed and car seats, shoer chairs set up. They asked us to measure the heights of our beds and cars beforehand and they set them those heights and had us practice getting in and out along with some instructions. Suprisingly the biggest help to me was the instruction to set the backrest flat back before I tried to get into the car. More room to maneuver and then reset backrest to upright once you are settled into the car. They have lots of tips and tricks. You will do fine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@barzeen , it’s good you’re thinking things through now. You’ll be much better prepared!

I always climbed into bed on my right knee before surgery, too. Now, I sit at the edge of the bed and swing my left leg onto the bed and use a leg lifter to lift my right leg. For the first two weeks, I had someone to help me by positioning the pillows to elevate the surgical knee. Whenever you are sitting or laying down, you want that knee elevated to help with swelling.

Sleeping is hard for me right now. I am a side sleeper and had to get used to laying on my back. I have a big wrap around body pillow that I use to get fully comfy. It kind of feels like I am relaxing in the tub (minus the water).:bath:

For the car, you will need to sit on the seat as if you would sit in a chair. My car has a grab handle, so I used that to help me slide onto the seat. I had something to rest my foot on since I am pretty short. It hurt to just have it dangling without that support. You’ll be able to bend your leg somewhat to get your leg up into the car.

As for weight bearing, it’s amazing how you are able to stand on the leg right away. Make sure your pain is managed. That’s very important!

I had a spinal with sedation and I lost bladder control until that wore off. The nurses fully expect that to happen and they handled it so well. Normally, I would have been very embarrased but it happens to everyone.

Keep thinking through all of these questions. It will ease your mind some. And ask all the questions you like. We’ll answer with honesty and we all learn things from each other here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1