Bedside commode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohipwndr

Country
United States United States
My toilet is about 10 steps from my bed. Do I need a bedside commode?

No. You will probably be required to demonstrate that you can make it to the toilet on your own before being released from the hospital. You may want a raised toilet seat for a few weeks if you are given restrictions. That's my experience.

Agree with RSC, you will not need a bedside commode. Even without restrictions, you may want a raised toilet seat. I have no restrictions and didn't have a raised seat, however, it was a bit hard when downstairs as I have nothing to really hold on while getting up. I got one of those raised seats with the handles on either side. I am 2.5 weeks out from my LTHR and probably do not need to still use it but it's there.

@Nohipwndr Completely agree that you shouldn't need a separate commode beside your bed. You will be moving around before you go home from the hospital and walking 10 steps will be no problem.

You may notice that I've moved your thread to the Pre Op Forum. Once you've had your surgery, you'll start a recovery thread in Post Op, but for now please ask all your questions here. Don't worry about getting "seasoned" responses. Many of our members who have had surgery will come back over to the pre op side to help other members.

I looked after my sister after her THR and she was able to walk to her bedroom about 50 steps down the corridor of her bungalow on the first day home from hospital. She used a walker, mind you - and she was 80 yrs old!

Thanks Josephine. That's awesome about your sister. I've decided to take the advice and dispense with the bedside commode!

I've found out the surgeon will be using pinnacle trilock for my hip replacement. Any thoughts?

I totally agree with both @Nivea and @RSC regarding using the raised toilet seat with handles. I had my THR 18 days ago, and I rely on the raised seat exclusively. It's about 25 steps from my bed to the toilet, and I've been able to use my walker to ambulate there day or night without a problem since the day I came home from hospital. But I'd still recommend the raised seat with handles, if you're having a posterior incision, as some restrictions will apply at the onset. Best regards to you.

Love my raised toilet seat with handles, I've left it on for now, that is, until I have people over! I have long legs and never realized how aggravating low toilets are to hips. Funny subject.

@Nohipwndr I have the DePuy Pinnacle cup and Tri-lock stem system. As I recall, the Tri-lock is a shorter stem that preserves bone since less is removed. Some people get screws inserted through the cup for stability.

Saw some implants at hip class and was amazed they are so small.

Last edited:
@HippyHappy
18 days out! Awesome! I'm jealous. I got the separate raised toilet seat and the raised bars that fit on the sides of the toilet. I believe that's going to work out just fine for me.
I'm supposed to have the anterior approach but I have nightmares that the doctor will get in there and decide that he can't get to it that way and will flip me over and do the posterior too! UGH! The crazy tricks our minds play!

@HippyHappy
18 days out! Awesome! I'm jealous. I got the separate raised toilet seat and the raised bars that fit on the sides of the toilet. I believe that's going to work out just fine for me.
I'm supposed to have the anterior approach but I have nightmares that the doctor will get in there and decide that he can't get to it that way and will flip me over and do the posterior too! UGH! The crazy tricks our minds play!

Don't worry too much if that happens - I had mini posterior 4" scar, dissolvable stitches. At 4 weeks out tiny thin scar, walking no crutches, driving short distance (automatic). I think there is a fear of posterior being a slow recovery but in my case that has been far from the case and the new hip feels good and solid, far better than my old one!
Good luck
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member