Lounge Doctor

Bilateral THR Bed recommendations

Wyn wombat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me on which bed i need to buy or hire for my recovery after my simultaneous bilateral THR procedure booked in for 20th May, I will have to have it downstairs as will not be tackling the stairs for a while.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I don't think there's any need for a special bed.

You need one that's easy to get into and out of, and that's not too high or too low, with a supportive mattress that's comfortable.

You should be able to manage stairs before you're discharged from hospital, but most people tend to only go down and up once each day.
It's a good idea to have an area set up downstairs, for where you'll spend most of your time.

Here's some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery.
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @Wyn wombat
My soon to be Both at Once bilateral pal.:) :-) (:
If your hips are causing you the troubles mine were, you are going to be so happy to get new hips and get back to a healthy happy life.:chuckmarch:
I'm sure you are nervous but bad hips don't fix themselves and I had my BTHR a few months before I turned 54 and I think I healed well and am back to a very active job and back to my weekend follies...riding ATVs, fishing, boating, and I can walk as far and fast as I want with NO pain.:happydance::happydance:

Regarding your question, Celle was spot on about not needing a special bed.
My bestest buddy was a recliner!!!
I slept in mine for the first three weeks as it was alot easier to manage getting up and down and way more comfortable.
Ask any questions you want and try to stay focused in the outcome vs the procedure.
I'll be rooting for you

OP
OP
Wyn wombat

Wyn wombat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you Celle & Mojo333 you have put my mind at ease with your reply, can I also ask how did you manage with steps and even oak staircase or am I being a bit too optimistic, Cheers.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
can I also ask how did you manage with steps and even oak staircase or am I being a bit too optimistic, Cheers
Very very slowly:) :-) (:
Won't want to do it much at first even if you can....and they will show you before you leave how to manage.

DGrant

Country
A fitness strap is a good tool to have to wrap around a foot/leg, that you can "hoist/help" your leg(s) onto a bed or furniture. A belt of some sort or even a rope can even work, but a fitness strap probably isn't as coarse and might not chafe as much.

I have a few of them, and just lasso my foot with a loop I put on it, wrap the strap around my wrist/arm/hand, and hoist away, easily and gently. I just leave it on my foot until I'm ready to get off the bed, and then I can "ease" it down, and control it's decent. Also if left on the foot it's easy to reach and shift a leg around/in the bed.

There's a few ways and means, as well as types of straps a person can use to achieve similar/same results, and individual needs may vary, but hopefully this gives you and idea and/or possibly something you can use, or develop a system that works for you based on my suggestion.
I wish you well... and hope the best for your recovery.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Wyn wombat When I had my BTHR I rented a hospital bed from a local medical supply store. I have steep stairs from main floor to top floor where my bedroom is plus there is no bathroom on the top floor. While yes I could climb stairs I did not want to as 2 incisions did hurt quite a bit. I found the hospital bed very comfortable and it made it very easy to elevate legs to "toes above nose" height. Back then ( 9.5 years ago) it cost me $75 per month and I kept it for 3 months. Company was great and did all set up and removal. Also with hospital bed it could be elevated or lowered to height where getting in and out was not a problem - and lifting both legs at the same time meant I did not need a leg lifter or another aides.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
coachpaul74
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom