THR Beachy34's recovery

@beachy34 sorry to hear the PT pushed you and you had a bad night. I think you just need to be honest with her and tell her that she's pushing you too hard and needs to let up. I agree she may be thinking it's ok because it worked last time but if it's causing you pain either during or after than its not working. We can't compare hip recoveries, even when it's our hips, no two are the same. Agree with @Eman85, you are the customer and she needs to do what you want.

@beachy34
Boy can I identify with you. My PT for hip #1 in March often "crippled" me the next day but I thought I had to push myself and, after all, the OS said I needed it. I didn't belong to Bonesmart at the time. This happened two times and I spoke to the PT each time, and, finally, I just refused to do certain exercises. I never returned after that. I found someone better who did stretching and massage and stuck with him. I actually went around to several PTs and interviewed them.

Tell her the OS said stop if there's any pain , so either modify/adjust or you'll have to find someone else. Truthfully, I would just stop for awhile unless she'll just give you a massage for now since that felt good. You're too early in your recovery to have any more pain.

I had surgery on Nov 13th and don't feel ready for outpatient PT yet and am waiting for when? I don't know? My OS belongs to Force and they send me a few exercises every 2 weeks and they're easy, so I'm sticking with them every other day and walking.

I find this whole PT thing very unnerving because I'm constantly questioning what to do. I know that last time it didn't work, so I'm trying something different this time: taking it slow but keep moving an no PT for now.

Oh no, sorry to catch up with your thread about the PT being pushy. Stay strong and firm about it when you tell her how painful it was afterwards.
I hope you are are feeling improvement now.

Hi Beachy! How are you feeling this Friday? Hopefully the pain and frustration of the aggressive PT has calmed down and you are enjoying some good walking and easy things in your own home.
I would love to hear how you are doing if and when you have time and feel up to it.
Take care! :wave:

Just checking in. I had my follow up appointment with my OS today. Everything looks good. He apologized that this one was more difficult than the other one, lol. He told me that sometimes even when he does two at once, one can hurt more and there is really no reason for it.

I had a different PT this week as my other one was on vacation. I remember her from last time too and I find that this time I actually like her better than the other girl. She showed me some techniques to kind of loosen things up which seems to help. I have outpatient PT set-up to start next Wednesday so I will get discharged from the at home on Monday.

Just stopping by to say hello. @beachy34 Those first few weeks can be so hard to get comfortable and for me keeping in different positions was most helpful. I could not stretch out for more than a few hours as something would either be stiff or tight. Sort of like the tin man. I came up with a circuit. Meaning sleeping with legs elevated a different levels on bed, then chair with ottoman. When you are awake, try to move every 45 minutes or so. Groin pain is usually from too much sitting in those early days. Hope you like the new PT. Make it work for YOU. Don’t feel obligated to try anything that causes you pain. Your body is trying to heal. Sending healing thoughts your way. It does get much easier.

HI
beachy34 Thanks for your groin massage advice. I went back and read your thread. We are aligned but you are on your second hip and I appreciate the honest accounting of your recovery. It helps me understand this weird new bionic joint replacement thing. I am so not letting my physio push me - mind you I am kinda a people pleaser so we will see. I love this forum that honors a slow, gentle recovery. It resonates with me big time.
The people I meet who say boldly oh, don't be like so and so, he did not do his exercises and now he is funked or my friend's 100-year-old aunt was out doing a 1/2 marathon at 6 weeks" (ok a wee exaggeration). I don't want their advice, just here this forum. Abit extreme I admit but its the truth. Good luck and giant healing vibes to you. Super happy to hear you got a soft roller, I have hidden my pastry roller as per your thread :).

Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you had a nice Christmas.
Enjoy the weekend and stay in touch. We'd love to continue following your progress. :)
@beachy34

Thanks @Layla! Hope you had a nice Christmas too!

Things have been going pretty well. I had to miss my youngest daughter's first cheer competition (and my favorite because of the holiday theme), but I felt I was too unsteady and I was worried about people knocking into me. I did go to the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert on the 23rd and that was a lot of fun. Then I ended up doing most of the holiday baking again because my older daughter who was going to do it ended up sick. So by Christmas day I was pretty sore and tired. We went to my brother-in-law's and I just took it easy.

I've been doing the outpatient PT and it is going very well. They have me doing some different exercises from the ones I did with my first hip and taking it all a little slower which is good.

So when does everyone start driving? My doctor told me I didn't need his permission and I did one small drive a couple weeks ago, but since it is the right leg I was pretty uncomfortable. I think I'm going to try driving to PT on Monday, it's just about 2-3 miles from my house so I will see how that goes. My commute to work is about an hour and I really don't feel ready for that, but I think my boss is going to start pressuring me to get back after the first of the year.

Hi! I took my time with resuming the driving with my right THR. I felt a lot of tightness on the lateral side of my thigh and it would tense up if I drove for longer than 15-20 minutes. I could do it and felt secure but didn't enjoy it. So I only drove when I needed to and I think I waited until around week 4 before running small errands, etc.
By the way I was told I could drive after my 3 week post op check up, if I was off narcotics.
I wouldn't want to drive an hour commute either until more time has passed. I hope you can be firm in telling him that you need more time for that. I would imagine that the drive would be exhausting for you, especially since you are only about 5 weeks post op.
I will leave the phased return to work article for you to read.. it may be very helpful for you at this stage of your recovery :yes:

Phased return to work

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

I just drove today after 6.2 wks. but I had a posterior approach and had precautions so could not get seat in right place and move right leg safely without breaking precautions so I did not attempt it. I think it is much different with the right hip and needing to be able to move it quickly if necessary to break. Your 2-3m jaunt to PT sounds like a good test.

As far as driving at 2 weeks it was a breeze with my left. I did drive just past 2 weeks with my right but it isn't comfortable. I can drive with no problems it's just the seats in our cars irritate the muscles. I've done an hour but it's uncomfortable in one shot, if I stop and get out for a minute it's fine.
Driving to PT might not be a problem driving home might be interesting if your leg gets tired.

Thanks for answering my driving question. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

@CricketHip I read the return to work advice. I am planning to phase it in. I don't work on Fridays and the past few months I was working from home on Tuesdays to take my daughter to an appointment. I think I will try to keep that schedule as much as I can. Plus, the first few times back, I'm planning to do a shorter day to avoid the long rush hour commute. I've been working from home and getting a lot done, so hopefully he won't press me too much.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Sounds like you have a good plan in place for your return to work. That will hopefully keep you from being so exhausted at the end of your work day.
Its almost the New Year! I can believe how quickly the time is passing, which means your return to work is almost here, too.
Wishing you the very best with your recovery, please let us know how it goes?

@CricketHip. I am planning to phase it in. I don't work on Fridays and the past few months I was working from home on Tuesdays to take my daughter to an appointment. I think I will try to keep that schedule as much as I can.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

When I went back to work after my TKR after 6 weeks I thought I would be fine. After the first day I worked out with my boss to work every other day from home. With my 60-90 minute commute 5 days a week was just not doable. I'm currently planning the same MWF return to work after the hip.

Sorry you had to miss your favorite cheer competition of your daughters, but you're right in following your instincts that you could get jostled around in a crowd. I've never been to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert but heard it's great entertainment.

As far as driving goes, my experience was that my surgeon released me to drive at my first post op visit, three weeks after my surgery. I waited an additional week as I felt a bit hesitant initially. Sitting in the car was pretty uncomfortable for me for several months actually. After about 30 minutes I began trying to shift position due to discomfort and wanted OUT of the car. It gradually eased. An issue for me was the buckle of the seat belt put pressure on an area of my Posterior incision but I quickly learned to remedy it by placing a gel ice pack between the belt and my leg. It seemed to help, or served as a distraction at the very least. I feel I can safely say an hour commute at only six weeks post op may have been too much for me. Hopefully you're able to get more time off work and your driving discomfort eases sooner than mine did.
Wishing you a good week as you continue healing.
@beachy34

Hi all. Just checking in. Things have been going pretty good. My biggest problem is trying to get my stride back. I can walk without the cane, but I kind of rock back and forth. The PT said I need to get more strength back in my hip. I've worked my way up with my driving and am planning my first trip back to work tomorrow.

:wave: @beachy34
All the best as you are back to work today.
What a year 2019 was for you.
I would concentrate on that heel to toe walking and posture first, and if longer steps are less stable, take shorter ones.
I felt like this was the way for me and it was 4 months out before I could take longer steps.
Use your cane when necessary, until the strength is built back up in number 2.
You will get there...be sure to come home and assume the position... ice and elevate.:ice:
Lots of healing still happening.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks