THR Beachy34's recovery

beachy34

Country
United States United States
I had my anterior thr on January 7, 2019. Things have gone pretty well. I did a weird twist thing a little over 2 weeks ago, felt like I pulled a muscle. It was before my PT that day. In PT, the exercises actually helped it feel a little better, but then about an hour after I got home I was in extreme pain, more than I had had since day 1. I took some pain medication and put ice on it and after about 3 or 4 days of stiffness, it was better again. Yesterday I had my 6 week follow up appointment and my OS said everything looks great. He told me that aside from putting my leg back and to the side like doing some sort of ice skating move, I can do anything I want.

So I do have a couple of questions. I haven't tried lying on the operated side yet, but I guess I can, is that correct? I tentatively tried it this morning, but it felt weird, so I didn't fully do it. Also, what about bending my leg up like to put on socks? I'm anxious to be rid of the sock putter-oner thing. What other things should I still not be doing? I don't want to do anything too soon that I shouldn't.

@beachy34
Welcome to BoneSmart glad you joined us!
I haven't tried laying on the operated side yet, but I guess I can, is that correct? I tentatively tried it this morning, but it felt weird,
It will feel weird to lie on your side for awhile, should get better with time. You might want to give your hip some more time to heal, then try again. Be sure you have a pillow between your legs so your hip does not roll in.
THR: laying on my side - when can this be done?

I'm anxious to be rid of the sock putter-oner thing.
You may want to call your surgeon and ask for clarification about your precautions.
THR: Are Postop Precautions Necessary for THA Patients?
He told me that aside from putting my leg back and to the side like doing some sort of ice skating move, I can do anything I want.

Here is your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Funny how it feels better after some stretching...and then the pain comes. After 6 weeks I was told pretty much the same. Then the reality that just because they say you can doesn't mean you can. It took some time before I could comfortably wash my feet and put my socks on without causing pain. The first time I reached in the shower it felt extremely odd and made me go a little at a time. As far as lying on the op side it's no big deal in bed or on padding. On a hard floor it's not comfortable at all and probably never will be. I can still make the odd move or overdo it and cause pain that lasts. And the only cure is don't do much for a couple of days.

@pumpkin and @Eman85 , thanks for the advice. I'm still taking it easy for the most part. I don't want to push and and have a set-back. I'll wait another week or so and give the side laying another try.

Are you meaning lying on the os side in bed? It did feel odd at first. Bending my leg and or rolling a little further towards your stomach makes it easier.
I would get the sock started and if I couldn't bend far enough or it felt funny I would lay on my back and heel slide to my butt. Then I could reach the sock to finish the job.

:hi: and welcome to the forum.
There was lots of trauma incurred to soft tissue when this surgery was done, so do let your body be your guide.
I was ever so tired of back sleeping and also had no restrictions, save the ones my body put on me.:umm:
Still very early days, so just let things come when they feel comfortable.
Letting your body be the guide will serve you well.
All temporary...and worth it!:happydance:

@Eman85, yes I'm talking about laying on the operated side. When I gave it the tentative try, it felt like there was something hard I was laying on, which I guess there is. I'll probably give it another try soon.

As for putting on the socks, and actually my pants too, I'm not sure why it still seems to hurt other than it is soon I guess. When I'm doing almost everything else, including some of the exercise machines at PT where I bend my leg up, it feels fine. It's just the getting dressed oddly enough that still is uncomfortable and I don't want to push it.

Thanks for the welcome @Mojo333! I'm letting my body guide me and trying to be patient.

At 7 weeks out, I am still not sleeping on either my operated or unoperated side. Just on my back. I am able to roll onto my side with the pillows between my knees but then the operated hip starts to ache after a few minutes, and then I roll back. I believe it will just take some time, a few more weeks probably. I had the posterior approach and do not know if it is different than anterior for side sleeping. I have more/different restrictions than you.

Last edited:
@prairienut, thanks for your thoughts. I'm just so anxious to be able to sleep on my side. Because of my hip pain, I've had to sleep on my back for the most part for the past 2-3 years and I was always a side sleeper before that. I am finally able to lay on my unoperated side for a bit (which I couldn't do at all prior because of the pain), but then that hip (right) starts to hurt, even though the operated one does not which is great. So I was thinking maybe the other way would work, but I guess it's going to take some time to get there. And eventually I'm going to need to do the other hip too. The pain in that one is about a year behind the left one and I don't want to let it get as bad as the left one did.

Hi beachy, :wave:
We missed your 2 mo anniversary....so a Belated Happy Anniversary!
Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear about your progress.
Hope all is well and wishing you the best going forward.
@beachy34

Thank you @Layla !

Things have been going pretty good. I'm walking better than I have for several years and for the most part little to no pain. I finished PT and she gave me some exercises to do at home to continue to strengthen my leg. It was very weak before the surgery and is better, but still hard to do some things like put on my sock.

I'm trying to decide when to do the other hip. It's not as bad as the first one was, but it's getting there. Maybe over the summer or I think at least by the end of the year. I asked the PT what she thought as far as having the first one healed enough to do the second. She said doctors usually say at least 3 months, but she thought 6 might be better.

Hi Beachy. It is certainly an advantage to have your second hip done in the same year as the first...you've no doubt met your insurance deductible and co-pay maximums, and just about everything will be covered in full if you get it done before the end of the year.

And get the sleeping on your back business done and over with for good as well. But here's a funny story: I was always a side sleeper so during the early recovery periods for both my THRs I longed to roll over to my side. But here it is about 7 years later, and while I roll over to my side every single night when I turn out the light, I ALWAYS wake up on my back. Don't understand it at all. :)

Hi @beachy34
It sounds as though you're progressing nicely. Losing the pain is the best and since you're still pretty early into recovery, I think side sleeping and putting on socks will come.

It's too bad your other hip is overshadowing your recovery somewhat. I've heard of all different time frames for getting both hips done. One member here had one done, then exactly a week later, the other. :bolt:Nope, not me! They'd never get me back there one week later. You mainly hear of people waiting several months if they really need the other one done.

At age 72, my dad had both of his replaced 5 months apart. He is now 81. He was in good health at the time, still is. The only thing I noticed is it took him a little longer to bounce back from the second, initially, He slept a lot more in early recovery than he did for the first and I recall being concerned. It did pass though and all was fine.

Common sense would tell me that two major surgeries within months is a lot for our body to heal from. I'd gauge how long you should wait by your OS's opinion and how much pain you're in.
Wishing you comfort as you continue to heal. Please keep us posted. :)

@sharonslp yes I am anxious to be pain free with the side sleeping, and I too find myself on my back sometimes even when I started sleeping on the side that doesn't hurt. I guess after a certain amount of time your body gets used to that, lol. And you are right about the insurance. I would like to get the other one done before the end of the year because I have maxed out my out of pocket.

@Layla, my OS actually told me at my last visit I could do the other hip anytime. He told me to come back in 3 months for a check and I jokingly said so when can I do the other one. He said, oh if you want to do it before then, just call and schedule it. That kind of surprised me and that was why I asked the PT how long between she thought as far as recovery goes. I'm not sure exactly what to do. When walking, the other one doesn't bother me much, it's mostly just sleeping and when I first stand up. Thanks for the well wishes too.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well since you last posted.
With any luck you'll be able to wait longer before scheduling your Right THR. You'll know when the time is right.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@beachy34

Thanks @Layla! Things have been going well. I went to the mall today with my daughter and it was great to be able to walk around and stand around waiting for her with no pain. Prior to surgery if I would stand in one place for 5-10 minutes I would be in extreme pain and barely be able to walk, so this was a monumental improvement for me. My outcome has inspired a co-worker to start the process to have her own surgery.

Good to hear all is going well!
Onward and upward hippy pal!:egypdance:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you're still noticing improvement since we last heard from you.
Leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Hope you have a beautiful Spring! :flwrysmile:
@beachy34

Hi @beachy34 Wishing you the best for tomorrow's surgery. Just think, by the New Year, you will be feeling pretty good and it will all be behind you.
I hope you are able to sleep and relax some tonight. :flwrysmile:

Welcome fellow November hippie;

Good luck today and before you know it, you will be home recovering. Let us know when you're home and how you're doing.

i'm a double hippie as of 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Just think about all the things you have to look forward to in the next two weeks; a lot less pain, a lot less swelling, bandage removal, improved walking and taking a shower!

Wishing you the best

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks