Standard Shoulder Replacement Beachy in recovery

beachy

supremo
Country
United States United States
Hello from the POST OP side!
I have a new left shoulder and that makes 2 left side replacements....knee and shoulder. Ready to start on the right side!
Surgery was right on time at 10:30 am yesterday. It was a regular not reverse replacement. Doc said when he got in there it didn't look bad. However, he removed the largest bone spur ever and of course, the bone on bone was bad.

I had zero pain until this morning when nerve block wore off about 4am. It was bearable so I took 2 xtra strength Tylenol and 1 low dose ibuprofen, went back to sleep til 6ish.
Doc told me take 2 dilaudid, 1gabapentin before bed and it worked well.
Slept with top of bed in upright position with ice machine on shoulder and wore sling... The kind with pillow. I was very comfy.

Took another dilaudid about 8 am and that seems to take away any pain along with ice machine.
It's been less than 24 hrs, but I feel good and hope it stays this way. Maybe because the surgical pain is not as bad as the pre surgery pain. And surgical pain is temporary.

My only regret is not doing this 4 yrs ago.

So glad to hear you're out of surgery and doing so well! It took me a couple of weeks (at least) before I saw the sling as a friend instead of a curse. It can be a bit jarring when the block wears off and its good you were able to get the pain under control quickly. Gets some rest and let your husband pamper you!

@SaraK
thank you. This was a piece of cake compared to the days after TKR. I was screaming when that nerve block wore off. I don't mind the sling for now. Its not uncomfortable and knowing that it protects this shoulder makes me wear it.
I slept for days after TKR. I couldn't shake off the anesthesia. I was alert immediately this time in recovery. Alert, no sore throat, no blurred vision.
Huge difference.
I sure hope this recovery continues like this:fingersx:

So glad to read you’ve had such a good start! Best wishes that it continues!

@Jockette thank you! As the day progresses so has the pain, but meds and ice help.
It's still way better than those early post op tkr days.

Thanks to admin for moving my thread to post op!

Great news! I will be following your thread. I hope this is a speedy recovery for you and most of all painless.

Schpooko

I've always been told that it's easier to keep pain away than to get rid of it (and that, overall, you'll use less meds). We also tend to tighten the muscles to protect ourselves from pain, so recovery might be smoother if you keep the pain under control.

@SaraK
Yes, easier to stay ahead of the pain than playing catch up.
I was prescribed 24 2mg hydromorphone (dilaudid). Take 1 every 3-4 hrs.
Occasionally I've needed 2. I figured there's going to be more pain in the first few days.
I'll call doc office tmrw for refill. No way this will last a week.
Gabapentin 100 mg at night for 5 nights.

Welcome back, although sorry you've had to undergo another procedure. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Wishing you the best as you recover.

@beachy Whoo Hoo!! I am so glad to hear your new shoulder joint is in place and that you are doing well with this! Ah for the "good old days" when surgeons would give post op patients enough medication to last for more than a week at a time! I do know and understand their current concerns and the pressure they get to prescribe less .... but it sure does not help to have to call frequently for refills!

Wishing you all the best!

@beachy - you might be surprised. I had rotator cuff surgery and the pain declined quickly after I got it under control. I didn't need anything more than Tylenol after the first few days. I hope the same happens to you (pain reduction, that is - not a rotator cuff surgery!)

Today is day 5 post op.
Woke up with considerable pain this morning. I think I slept a little wonky despite the sling/brace.
Took 2 Dilaudid and using ice packs. I'm sure it will subside soon.
I have swelling around the bicep....nothing new its been there all week. Its difficult to get the ice pack under the bicep between my body and arm. Other than that and some bruising the area looks good.
Compared to other major surgeries I've had this one is definitely NOT the worst.

@SaraK
I take 2 Dilaudid in the morning and 2 at night with a gabapentin 100 mg. Sometimes I need 1 dilaudid during the day. And always a dose or two of Tylenol and ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to days of just Tylenol.

Tomorrow will be 1 week since tsr. I can honestly say this has been pretty easy. I haven't had horrendous pain. I fell asleep last night forgetting to take pain meds. Woke at 4 with some discomfort. Took Tylenol and low dose ibuprofen and went back to sleep. Its almost 11 am here and I'm still not in need of Dilaudid. Maybe taking gabapentin at bedtime with Dilaudid helped?
The sling with pillow can be uncomfortable so I take it off occasionally. Part of it rubs the bruised, swollen part below bicep and it can't be adjusted.
No constipation. No appetite either.
Lets see what week 2 brings!

And lots of ice packs with ice water machine.

I’m glad things are going so well for you!

I don't know why, but I had less of a appetite after my shoulder surgery than any of the hip surgeries. Find something with some nutrition that you might not normally eat or consider Ensure shakes or something similar.

For the sling, you might try putting a piece of felt or something similar between the sling and your arm. It might eliminate some of the rub.

I take gabapentin for other reasons. I'm not sure how well it helps with the pain but it definitely causes drowsiness. Taking it at night could serve multiple purposes.

I'm glad you're doing so well. Relax and recover and don't try to push it!

Today is 1 week.
i did end up taking a pain pill last nite with gabapentin. Woke up with zero pain. Unless I move the shoulder.
Today was Tylenol and ibuprofen once. I'm not anti pain meds at all. I just didn't need them. I took them for 3 months with my knee replacement!
Doc said it was ok to detach the pillow from sling. Just make sure not to use the muscle to move arm. I have no idea if I'm moving that muscle, but I sure do baby that arm and shoulder.

Maybe Im lucky. Maybe my surgeon is gifted. Maybe the big honking bone spur being gone helps. Whatever it is, this is by far the easiest surgical recovery ever. And I've had lots of surgeries!

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks