TKR Beachy in recovery<

@Jockette
You know where I am. I'll help you in the sand anytime! I waved to you from the Delaware line LOL!

What a great reprt..so happy for you! Glad the hubby has fully recovered!

I've been ok. Unfortunately have torn my gastroc muscle in my left leg and am still having issues with the right knee swelling. So back to wearing a compression sock on the left leg for now. Never ends lol

I haven't been on in awhile and just posted my 6 months report. I looked for news from you as soon as I got on the board.

So glad to hear you are doing so well … and hubs too!

I am finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Still working on getting better though. Started going back to PT last Friday for my hips and a little on the knees. I want to be able to squat, which I have not even tried. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up. My goal is to get back to sitting in the tub for tub baths, really miss them!!

Keep in touch!

@Txmomgmom3
Stupid gastroc! I strained mine day after Christmas....tkr leg. I thought I did something to ruin the tkr. Terrible pain. My PT got me in right away and knew what was wrong. Ultrasound, ice, heat, tens all got me up and around again.
What do they do if you tear it? Ouch!

@MissViv18 .
I just read your update. So glad to hear that you're making progress! My hips and IT bands were a hot mess until recently. Lots of stretching, heat and moving have gotten me over the hump. You had a double whammy with btkr.

Nobody tells you about the residual pain in other parts of your body after tkr. It's kind of disheartening. PT will help you. I think it does more good at this point than during the early days!
You'll be taking a warm, relaxing bath in no time!:bath:

All that can be done is rest (ha), ice, elevate and wear a compression sock 24/7 (yuck). I go back to surgeon next Friday. If no change then possibly might try laser therapy. Swelling is ridiculous. Not really anything much he can do. Plus I have a bakers cyst (again) on the same leg . I'm soooooo over it :hairpulling: lol.

@Txmomgmom3
So sorry. Mine didn't swell. PT taped it with the kineseo whatever-its-called tape. Then stretching which I still do. And rest. I've heard those bakers cysts are very painful. Hope it all goes away soon!

Hi @beachy,

I got to page 22 and could not sit at the PC any longer !

Looks like you are past the worst of it and walking the beach must be amazing to do.

I had a funny moment today. I sat down on the couch without thinking. I haven't sat on the couch in 3 weeks.
When I tried to stand up.....I realized I had a problem. By myself. Walker just out of reach. It would have been a great hidden camera moment. I finally rocked enough to push myself up. Geez. TKR problems.

:rotfl:

Clearly from what I have read you have a wonderful SOH and I guess it is needed with what we put ourselves through. :)

I am still 6 weeks out for my bilateral TKR and reading as much as I can. The stories like yours keep me hopeful that I to will have a good recovery and trying to learn what not to do post op !

Look forward to following your journey. Thanks for taking the time to write about it.

Beachy I see you are still active here. Is your new knee all you hoped it would be,or are you having trouble with it. In reading a lot of posts here I hate to see those that are having trouble after replacement ,knowing what we all go thru to get those new knees. . At 7 months out my left is now pretty much a non issue. Just replaced my right knee Friday and am off to a better start then last one so hope it continues.

@Atlas_aus .
I'm still amazed that anyone reads my ramblings! And 22 pages worth!
Sometimes I go back and re read to remind me of those early weeks/months since I'll have to do this again for my right knee.
You're a brave soul ( and smart) to have bilateral and the best thing you've done is to join Bonesmart.

Follow the info provided by the forum advisors. And remember that each recovery is different. Each knee is different. And I agree that a SOH will see you through some strange times!

@Softtail .
Welcome back! I hope this recovery goes as well as your first one or better!

I'm very happy that I had my tkr over 6 months ago! So far, it helped the right one. The pain of recovery was worth the new strong knee. I'm much more active than the last 3 yrs. I have occasional muscle soreness and some tightness in the new knee. Nothing like the old bone on bone pain.
The IT band tightness causes some hip pain, but IF I'm diligent in stretching its manageable. At our age I'm grateful it's just muscle /arthritis aches.

It is tough reading about these wonderful folks who have have trouble long after their surgeries. I send prayers to them.

I pop in occasionally to see how my Bonesmart Buddies are doing. Not much to report about my recovery.
I'll be following your new recovery!

Beachy, Glad your recovery is going okay. I have some occasional aches in my left knee, but all in all it is so nice to have a knee that I am not afraid will collapse on me. The right leg is off to a better start for the most part,but does have some minor negative differences from the left.
The quad muscle above my knee is more painful than after the left surgery, so it’s more difficult to do the straight leg lifts I did with left leg. All in all though pain level is less, swelling has increased slightly ,but is still way less than left leg was, and I can stand on it much longer than left before it gets too painful.
Now you indicated you will have to do it again for right knee. Is this planned in the near future?

For those of you who have a baker's cyst behind your new knee try TK tape. Does wonders for me. I will also use the tape behind my new knee if it is bothering me. I'm doing very well 4 months out but once in a while the knee decides to let me know it's new. My PT introduced me to the TK tape and I can say that is really does help. Bought mine at a local pharmacy.

You're a brave soul ( and smart) to have bilateral and the best thing you've done is to join Bonesmart.

Hello, not sure about brave but the thought of x2 everything if I don't is not something I am prepared to do. :shocked:

For those of you who have a baker's cyst behind your new knee try TK tape

I too have cysts behind my knees and I asked the surgeon about them and he says he will take care of them when he puts in the landing gear :dancy:

@bumneej and others: What is TK tape and how is it used?
Another name for it is kinesiology tape. It is flexible yet supportive. I first learned about it from my chiropractor. You can look at it on amazon and read reviews to learn about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom