TKR Beachy in recovery<

What good news about being able to finally get to the beach! You knee recovery sounds prefectly normal. Remember, you are still less than halfway through this healing.

@Bismitmom1
I'm glad you checked in, too! I'm not "in pain", just know it's there and annoying. Definitely better than before surgery, though. Does that sound right? Most days I take 2 20-30 min walks and stretch a little....Helps with the tightness. If it's too achy I rest it. Keep me posted on your knee!

@Jockette
I know! I was in Bonesmart long before I got my surgery date. I caught up on your thread. The knee is allowing bowling, but still a drama queen. She needs to get over herself.

@traceys (aka Madame Pres)
We had temps in the 50's today, but gray and dreary. Our winter had some awful days and seemed like it would never end, but it won't be long now. I feel like a bear coming out of hibernation!
Be careful on the track this week. And I will check in more. Promise.

Happy to report that the back of knee tightness/pain has left the building. Once I started stretching the gastroc muscle at top of calf it went away. It wasn't the knee itself. It was the gastroc muscle that I strained right after Christmas. I think the extra walking without stretching it enough was the culprit.

Also, the snap, crackle, pop in the knee has lessened quite a bit.

I'm just a few days past 5 months and can say that tkr is the best thing I could have done. The strong, new left knee has helped the right knee. I'm able to be more physically active than I have been for years. If it wasn't for my back issues I'd be unstoppable LOL.

If you're in the early days of recovery or contemplating tkr take heart. It's a long recovery with a lot of twists and turns, but the benefits ( for me) have been wonderful.

So glad this was such a positive experience for you! You definitely inspire a lot of new-knees coming up behind us (and some of us lifers)

The strong, new left knee has helped the right knee. I'm able to be more physically active than I have been for years. If it wasn't for my back issues I'd be unstoppable LOL.
I love reading this about your knee, especially so early in your recovery! Now, to get that back of yours fixed!

@traceys
It wasn't very positive those first 3 months. It took longer than I had hoped. I struggled when I had to take care of hubs at 8 weeks, but it all worked out. I truly wish you can have lessened or zero pain in your knee.

@sistersinhim .
Acupuncture and chiropractor have finally helped. Looks like I'll be doing that regularly .So glad I cancelled the cortisone shots in the spine! I knew there was a better way. Sending you some pain free wishes, too!

Wonderful that you have found relief for your back! I'm glad you didn't have to get the shots. Cortisone gives me indigestion and flushing. I try to stay away from them as long as possible.

@sistersinhim .
Ew! Indigestion AND flushing. Good grief. Cortisone was my knees BFF for a few years. The recent shot in left hip bursa helped so much. But in my spine? No thank you. The shots ave always been a last resort for me. If I'm getting shots I'm in a lot of pain. Just ordered turmeric capsules so hoping that keeps me pain free.

I’m getting a cortisone injection on Tuesday for the other knee, 2 days before we leave for the cruise. I’ll have nice red cheeks the day after the injection. That will last about 36 hours. The first time it happened, I wondered what the heck was wrong with me. Was checking my temperature to see if I had a fever. One cheek will be redder than the other though. However, I’ve never had indigestion after the injection.

Hello Bonesmart Buddies!
Just popping in to say hi. :wave:
Hope everyone is recovered/recovering well.

All is well in Beachy land. My knee is super good, strong and mostly pain free. I still visit the ODIC on occasion. Some of us just can't stay away! If my lower back and other parts would cooperate it would be wonderful. Arthritis is a beast and getting beastier.
I'm still debating having right TKR. The jury is out and if it's not terribly painful, buckling, etc then I'm not in a rush.

Hubs and I have been at the beach for awhile now. He is doing great! He's recovered and back to health.
We 've walked on the beach several times which makes me the happiest beach bum in the world. :happydance:
Still not here permanently, but that will happen soon.
Take care everyone!

@beachy :wave:

I miss you but so glad to read about you and hubs. That makes me happy.
Jealous you are by the water. I don’t have 3 mermaid tattoos for no reason.
:heehee:

ODIC just keeps calling you huh? Lol. Hopefully you are there less and less.

Keep going lady... you are in for great things now it seems.

@traceys .
My optimism overshadows the arthritis pain in my back, neck and shoulder LOL. The knee doesn't hurt though!
I knew we were kindred spirits! I AM a mermaid. Positive of it. Just an old one hahaha. Mama Mermaid. I'm happiest on a beach and in the water.

I've read that you are having some little victories. Sending you good vibes that everything settles down soon. :roseshwr:

6 months post op!

Thursday was 6 months. What a journey this has been!
It was up and down for a very long time and started to level out about 6 weeks ago. The knee feels great most of the time, I can walk on the beach and most anywhere else. And that's all I really wanted.....to be able to walk without pain, especially in the sand.
I'm back to the beach almost full time now. Hubs is fully recovered from his illness. I am blessed.

What an encouraging post, Beachy! You are doing way better that normal for 6 months out, so you are truly blessed!

What a good 6-month report!
I'm glad everything is going well now.

That’s a wonderful report about you and your husband. I’m so happy that you are able to enjoy the beach.

Thank you, ladies! I feel like I'm about average for 6 months. Some people are way ahead and some far behind. Every knee and every body is different. I'm just doing my thing. Slowly increased the beach walking since we came back in march. We are on the beach several times/day to walk Tootsie. It's been about 3 years since I could do this.

I think I would have to wave to you from the boardwalk. :heehee:

Maybe this summer I’ll give walking on sand a try, just to see what happens. “How bad can it be?” :yikes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back