TKR Beachy in recovery<

Have you ever done a beginners yoga video at home? But maybe it would be better to start where there are plenty of people to help me get up, though, in case I have trouble. :heehee:

I got stuck once in yoga. Took forever to get down to floor then he wanted us back up. Told him I was staying there and invented a new pose called “the carpet”. :heehee: He left me there til they came back to mats for cool down anyways.

You're more flexible than you think!
Actually I am pretty flexible. I've been able to put my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees for most of my life. My hangup is I can't squart or pick up anything heavy with my legs. If it is waist high, I can do it, but much lower than that my back could be in trouble.

Beginner's yoga is a good idea Jockette! I bet I can find some at the Y or even on the web.

Last edited:
It's 60° and sunny today. Snow is in the forecast for Sunday. You have to love Maryland weather.
Yes, it was like that here in Delaware, “just down the road.” My feet were not cold in my sandals and I left my jacket in the car. I wish it never got colder than this!

@Jockette @sistersinhim
There are probably some videos on YouTube. I always liked small classes so the instructor could adjust me in a pose. A little tweak can make a big difference. Or when they adjust someone else. You can learn from that, too.
At the beach there is beach yoga 1 block over from us. Maybe this summer. I could only watch last 2 summers. :cry:

I have to bend my knees a little to put my hands flat on the floor. Especially righty. She knows she's not going to be around much longer.

I’m so scared to try anything like this and hurt myself. My upper back ribs get out of place very easily, but not so much if I’m careful with my movements.

Is yoga good for arthritis?

We have a weekly yoga group that meets at our community’s clubhouse, but I don’t think it’s a beginner class.

@Jockette
It's not so much yoga as gentle stretching. You said you're careful with movements so I guess that means when you stretch?
If you can get into a gentle stretching routine that's all you need until you feel stronger and more confident to try something else.

The key is to do it regularly.
In my case, I was going to pt last year for my back and hip. It helped so much that I do those home exercises and add some yoga poses. It's what makes YOU feel better. You don't have to follow any organized program.
I make it a point to at least do the pt exercises each day. If I feel like adding yoga then I do. I spend a lot of time on the floor.:rotfl:

Does yoga help athritis? I don't know. I know it helps with my flexibility, posture, and feeling of well being. I have arthritis almost everywhere. After my tkr, hubs illness, the holidays I wanted to curl up in a ball LOL! It hurt to move. Then I forced myself to start moving and stretching. Little by little I've come to a good place. And the regulated "yoga breathing" feels like fresh air when you've finished .

Talk to the instructor at the clubhouse yoga. Maybe you can sit in on classes to see what it's all about. I bet the students would be very welcoming. They were all beginners in the beginning!

This morning I walked with Tootsie for a very long time. Then made breakfast, straightened the apartment, a little laundry, then bathed and groomed Toots. I'm laying in the bed with an ice pack on my back. It is what it is.:shrug: ODIC but not knee related.

My careful movements are in my daily activities.

I did notice after a couple of months into recovery that I was getting pretty good at picking things up off the floor without bending my knees, because I couldn’t bend the operated one. I’ve lost that as my bend got better. I’m trying to do that again occasionally because it’s probably good for me.

@Jockette
It is so good for your back, hammies, calves, glutes. When I have to sit for any length of time I do that. Did it in waiting room while waiting for hubs. I got some looks at first. Then another lady said it looked like a good stretch and we did it together!

My right knee crunches and yells so I have to bend it. If I bend righty then lefty has to bend or I topple over.
I also sit on the floor legs out in front and double over to grab my feet. Another good one!

A little update.

Hubs has turned the corner! We have been waiting and waiting. He had his biggest outpatient surgery on Feb 14 and it was a huge success. Prayers were answered and big, grateful thanks to those of you who kept us in prayer! :roseshwr:

I had a cortisone shot in left hip bursa area on Tue and it feels so much better. Scheduled for March 5 for injections in L4,5. SI Joint injection didn't help. So, the issue is definitely spinal stenosis in those L's. I've seen my acupuncturist 2X this week and he has helped my back a great deal. Between cortisone injections and acupuncture I am a human pin cushion.

I rarely think about my knee. There are too many other distractions, but the knee really doesn't cause problems. Just the opposite. That's about the only part of my body that feels good :heehee:.

Life is slowly returning to normal. The beach is still in the future. Once his doc check ups and my injections are over we'll heading to the beach for some R&R. The move may be further down the road.

Newbies take heart! At a little over 4 months the tkr is a distant memory. My knee has felt really good for about 3 weeks. Occasional muscle aches, but not even Tylenol worthy. I keep reminding myself it's a year long recovery. I have no idea what my ROM is. It must be ok because I can bend and straighten it. And that's it's all about, right? (Insert hokey pokey song):)

You will get there. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. If you're new in recovery be gentle to yourself. If you're further along be gentle to yourself.

@beachy,

Wonderful news about your husband. Happy for you both. Now you can put the past few months behind you and enjoy the beach.
I'm just under 3 months and it was good to read how you feel at four. I did tell my husband yesterday that the knee feels great, but everything else hurts. I need to start doing my IT band exercises.

Spring is not far away for us.

It really has been a journey from Oct 11 to Feb 19. From my tkr to the day he turned the corner.
Thank you Bonesmart friends for your support and prayers.
We are blessed. :roseshwr:

@gia2cats
I know what you mean. I'm doing everything I can to help the pain from the back, hip, IT, etc. Short of back surgery. Can't even fathom that right now. Some days are almost pain free. Some days hurt. Oh well. I'm grateful for what it is.

C'mon Spring!
We watched the first Orioles Spring training game from Sarasota yesterday....on tv. Daylight Savings begins March 10. March 20, 5:58 pm is Spring! I keep looking for robins, but it's too early.

Hi Bonesmart Buddies!
I've been MIA for awhile and need to catch up with everyone!

Happy to report that hubs is almost 100% in his recovery. Looks like we'll be heading to the beach at the end of this month. Not permanently, though. Semi permanent.

I'll be 5 months post TKR tomorrow. The knee is still stiff at times and lately has started to pop and crunch. I suppose that will go away as fast as it came on. The back of knee is achy at times, too. Other than that it's good!
I guess at 5 months there is still healing going. Anyone else having little issues at 5 months?

Lower back problem is a work in progress. Acupuncture and chiropractor for now. I postponed the cortisone shots in L3,4,5 for now. Embarrassed to say I'm scared of it. Will be starting PT in a few weeks.

Will be catching up with everyone's posts soon!

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you checked in! I am having the exact same problems with the achiness swelling of the back of the knee and the popping and crunching. I feel so much better knowing that you are going to the same! I am only one week ahead of you so it was quite a relief! Glad to hear the hubs is doing well, glad you get to go to the beach!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great report, sounds about right for 5 months. Amazing it’s been 5 months already! When we all met you in pre op that October surgery date sounded years away.

Great hearing from you!

Woohoo for the Beachy family!!!
So jealous of your beach travel regardless how long term. I’m so over this winter with howling winds and deep freezes and all the snow and ice!

Keep checking in - you are dearly missed!!:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom