TKR Beachy in recovery<

Don't chicken out beachy it is not as bad as it sounds, it is a peice of cake after dealing with TKR , just imagine another pain gone :)

Chris:flwrysmile:

Thanks Chris @gecko.
I was kidding. Looking forward to getting some relief!

Oh thats good keep us posted on how you go , hows hubby hope he is well

Hugs Chris:flwrysmile:

I walked well over a mile today :spin:
First time in ages! After some bitter cold days and ankle blizzards it was beautiful out. Tootsie had a blast sniffing everything in sight. My knee and both legs felt strong. The old back decided to chime in or I could have kept going.
I'm kinda stoked. Doesn't take much haha.

@gecko
Hubs is coming along and will be fine eventually. A few little setbacks, but he'll get there. Thanks for asking!

Great news about that awesome walk for you and Tootsie!

You have a good reason to be stoked! A mile is fantastic!

I'm almost 4 months post TKR!
My knee feels good. Strong. Occasional stiffness. No real pain. I haven't used ice or Tylenol for my knee in a few weeks. I do realize I am still early in a year long recovery.

Here's a bit of reflection on my recovery and what I've learned about this scary, painful, necessary, amazing journey.

Everyone's recovery is different. Newbies.....when you are told that, it's true! Concentrate on your recovery, not the person who was playing 18 rounds of golf at 10 days post op. Or say they did.

Aggressive physical therapy did not work for me. Fortunately, I learned that early. Like after 3 tries. Thank you, Bonesmart. I did my best to adhere to to the recommended list of ADL's. At 4 weeks I found a pt who worked with me according to how I felt that day.

It's ok if you land in the ODIC at times. We all over do at times. If you're nominated as president it's time to rethink your activity level. When a forum advisor suggests your pain is from too much activity it's time to listen up!

This recovery is like a roller coaster. Physically and emotionally.
I had a setback between week 8 and 9 when my husband landed in the hospital. He was my caretaker and did the housework, shopping and heavy lifting. Roles became reversed and walking around the hospital then caring for him at home really became painful for my knee. That pain is gone now. I survived.
And, more importantly, he is going to be fine.

I was a very active person pre tkr, but became very limited by my knees. I put this off for years. Putting aside 3 months of my life to recover seems like a fair trade off. Going through this again for the right knee is inevitable. But, first I'm going to enjoy this new lefty.

That's my story in a nutshell. Yours will be different. My recovery has been average IMO. Roll with the punches then get up and fight back.

PS.....the SI Joint injection. Still achy in the area. Not As painful as pre shot. Jury is out if its injection site ache or the actual joint. Or both. Ice and Tylenol. The actual injection wasn't bad. The pain med injection was pinchy but the actual probe was just some pressure. I'm hopeful.

@DLR how are you today after the big let down? I hope you can be rescheduled in a reasonable time frame.

Hindsight and reality are 20/20. You don't realized the things I posted until after the fact. LOL

@beachy best way to describe how I am is sad but at peace. Praying for an opening before May 14. Right now I am going to focus on strengthening these old muscles I realize the cold and ice has kept e inside and I am losing ground with quad recovery...so trucked myself downstairs to workout on the recumbent bike, treadmill and floor exercise.

@DLR .
Good for you for pre-habbing! It really makes a difference in recovery. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise?????
And your muscles are 3 years younger than mine :rotfl:!

• Funny
Reactions: DLR
@beachy grrrrr. Again I’m not getting ANY notifications on threads I watch or people I follow. So I have 4 days of reading to catch up on and I find yours.
:hairpulling:

Your recap is great and about as honest as it gets. Too bad it couldn’t be highlighted as mandatory reading. Lol.

The part about presidency in ODIC cracked me up. Oh the good old days! :heehee:

So glad we crossed paths on here. You have kept me going so many times
:flwrysmile:

@traceys .
Tracey, your journey and great attitude has kept many of us going, too. I hope you realize that. That's why we're here...to help each other. You have made me LOL many times.
I'm glad we crossed paths, too. :wave:

@traceys .
About your notifications....I just noticed my signature changed so I went in and fixed it. Maybe you need to update your notifications.

@beachy Carol here... aka Schpooko... I could not have said this better myself.... What a fantastic and well written 4 month post OP update. You summed it all up. This surgery has all the ups, downs and anything else you add to it. I am so happy for you that things are going well for your knee and your husband continues to be on the mend. My knee is also doing well. I am at the point now that (except when it is bitter cold) I really don't think about the knee anymore. I am, as you, just starting to enjoy the new found pain-free (as far as knee's go) freedom. I too have to have the other done but that is way off, knock on wood. I have bone on bone on the left knee but it does not bother me... so as the saying goes if its not broke, don't fix it.

I hope all continues to get better and better for you. Spring is just around the corner. All the best , Schpooko

@schpooko
Hi Carol! Great to hear from you! You were our first Feisty!
I'm glad your knee is good. You're absolutely right about not thinking much about the knee these days. Glad the days of 24/7 knee thoughts are gone.

@beachy I so agree. I have a question for you. Do you feel your knee when it is bitter cold outside? When we had those below freezing days I could feel a little cold inside my leg at the replacement. It was weird. I was just wondering. I don't know if it got that cold where you are ( I am in PA) but the days we had those bitter, bitter freezing days it was weird. It did not hurt just felt weird. Just curious, great to hear from you too! Take care my friend we will always be feisties together. Carol

@schpooko (aka Fellow Feisty lol)
During that cold snap I was having all kinds of pain, but it was hip bursitis, low back, IT band. None of it was related to the cold. All that pain probably distracted me from the knee. If the cold affected the knee I can't say.:shrug:

@beachy,

Enjoy reading your posts as they are informative and humorous. I just joined BoneSmart after lurking since a few weeks after my Nov 28 RTKR. Your OS sounds so much like mine. Then I realized, yep, he is my OS. I also had Dr. McKinstry. As a retired nurse I did a lot of searching for the right doc and I have been really pleased with him and his staff. As a nurse of over 40 years, I can honestly say that I have never seen a surgeon explain the complications of surgery. That thoroughly. He really went over everything with me. My recovery has been relatively smooth except for a suture abscess which concerned me but he and his PA have reassured me. Hope your back feels better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member