TKR Beachy in recovery<

Thanks everyone! I’m blessed by all your well wishes!

I have had brain fog till today and still some now. Couldn’t type or think straight. In my recliner now with ice machine. I’m comfortable. The block in my leg only lasted 10-12 hrs. When that went away I called for help. In addition to oxycodone I received morphine and tornadol. That combo the only thing that helped.

The surgery was unremarkable. I had general anesthesia due to back issues.

@Celle I will read the info you sent soon. After typing this I need another nap!

Great to hear from you. You and I had the same combo that finally put the pain in check. I too had morphine, oxy and then they finally gave me the toradol the next day. I totally believe that med helped me turn the corner. I am so glad you are doing well.

But remember each day does get better. :hi:

I've been thinking about you, @beachy! Hope each day finds you feeling better, having less pain, and moving toward a full recovery. My surgery is scheduled for mid-day on Monday, Oct. 15, so I hope to be able to be in touch with you again sometime next week. Be sure to take the time you need for healing! As others have said, rest, ice and elevation are the key. :)

Hi @beachy Im glad you have your pain under control now and hope it stays under control for you :)
Hoping you get to go home soon I think it will make you feel even better.

If you get bored maybe we can play some online games together like Yahtzee or cards or something.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Rest up and take it easy :flwrysmile:

Thanks @shells35 ! I’ll take you on the offer when my grogginess goes away!
I came home yesterday evening. It took 1:45 in pouring rain. Fun.

Thank you Ladies! So far so good today. Trying to eat a little.
I’ll be there for the rest of the Fiesties!
All the preparation for the surgery has been a huge help. Everything I purchased has been put to work.

Just dropping in to make sure you’re doing ok and to let you know I am thinking of you. :)

Day 4. Little victories

Pain is bearable and very little while in bed or recliner. Taking 5 oxcycodein 2X every 3 hrs. and 2 500 tylenol 4x day.
Nexium in am. I give me self a shot of something as a blood thinner. It’s in the belly. Can’t take aspirin or nsaids.

This is the first day my brain has semi worked.

Recline always. Ice always.
Still no appetite. Drinking lots of water hence many trips to bathroom.
Taking stool softener and will try a cup of coffee today. And the famous stick o’dynamite LOL!

Sleeping like a champ! Only wake up for scheduled pain meds. I know that’s subject to change.

Big day today! Shower time! I didn’t have the zipline closure. Stitches under skin glue on top with waterproof bandage. The disposable washcloths have beef doing their job. The family said I don’t stink. Much.

I guess everything is going the way it should.
Today is better than yesterday.
4 days out of surgery.

The best thing ever has been the encouragement, good wishes and support from my Bonesmart friends. You all get it....pre op questions and jitters and fear of the unknown, Post op encouragement, does and don’ts of recovery knowing that this gets better.
:roseshwr:

@DLR
LOL for the routine!
How about this one:
Medicate, elevate, urinate, defecate. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad!
Are you feeling any better?

@shells35
Thank you! I see little victories here and there.
How’s your recovery??
You were having trouble last time I was coherent.

Positive outlook helps, and have to keep telling ourselves that ,especially on the days we backslide. Wish the recovery was lineal, but sadly it’s not. I remember 3 weeks out ,I couldn’t stand long enough to brush my teeth without pain ,then somewhere between week 4 n5 , it dawned on me that I was standing and brushing my teeth, no problem, same as with sitting longer periods . 2 steps forward 1 back lol.

Positive outlook helps, and have to keep telling ourselves that ,especially on the days we backslide. Wish the recovery was lineal, but sadly it’s not. I remember 3 weeks out ,I couldn’t stand long enough to brush my teeth without pain ,then somewhere between week 4 n5 , it dawned on me that I was standing and brushing my teeth, no problem, same as with sitting longer periods . 2 steps forward 1 back lol.

Day 4. Little victories

Pain is bearable and very little while in bed or recliner. Taking 5 oxcycodein 2X every 3 hrs. and 2 500 tylenol 4x day.
Nexium in am. I give me self a shot of something as a blood thinner. It’s in the belly. Can’t take aspirin or nsaids.

This is the first day my brain has semi worked.

Recline always. Ice always.
Still no appetite. Drinking lots of water hence many trips to bathroom.
Taking stool softener and will try a cup of coffee today. And the famous stick o’dynamite LOL!

Sleeping like a champ! Only wake up for scheduled pain meds. I know that’s subject to change.

Big day today! Shower time! I didn’t have the zipline closure. Stitches under skin glue on top with waterproof bandage. The disposable washcloths have beef doing their job. The family said I don’t stink. Much.

I guess everything is going the way it should.
Today is better than yesterday.
4 days out of surgery.

The best thing ever has been the encouragement, good wishes and support from my Bonesmart friends. You all get it....pre op questions and jitters and fear of the unknown, Post op encouragement, does and don’ts of recovery knowing that this gets better.
:roseshwr:

Glad to hear you're getting along. One of the biggest helps from this board (aside from the encouragement) is the constant reminder of just how wide the "normal" spectrum really is.... And, I still have to say that, while this has been a "thing" for sure - and there has been plenty of trauma and pain - it's been nowhere near as traumatic or painful as I imagined it could be. I Thank God for that because I do have one wild imagination :wink:

Hang in there!

@Softtail
You’re right about backsliding. Just knowing it can happen is good to know when/if it does happen.

@Rhodyrhody
I got hit with 10+ pain when the nerve blocks stopped working. Didn’t panic...aside from crying and shaking uncontrollably. Rang nurse and she contacted doc and within a few minutes came the best pain cocktail!
Point is I knew what to do and that it was to be expected . Sure hurt like a :censored: :censored:.

Constipation is common as you've probably figured out already. You may need more than stool softeners. I took laxitives and had a big bag of prunes on my tray table that I kept nibbling on. Coffee helped too. Sooner or later things will improve. I really wasnt back to normal - laxative free until I got off the oxy.

@Jajakio
I figured by Wednesday there will be “action”. Lots of belly noise happening now.

I actually have a little tiny appetite now. First coffee since Wednesday. A few bites scrambled egg and toast and tons of water. Hubs is making me eat. Think I’ll have a few doses of Benefiber too.
Michelin Star kitchen here LOL

@Josephine
I’d like to run this by you please.

My orders for oxycodone are:
5mg tablet 1 or 2 every 3 hrs
They do not contain Tylenol or any thing else.

Tylenol 325mg X 2 every 6 hrs.

I just realized I was doing something different. I’m taking Tylenol 500mg x2 with the oxycodone first time in morning, mid afternoon, at bedtime about 10pm and middle of the night about 1:00am. That keeps the Tylenol at 4,000 per day. Is that too much?

My pain is under control at 2 on pain level chart when in recliner or bed. About 5 when walking or transferring from sitting to standing.

Now that I’m coherent I want to make sure I’m not screwing this up.
Thanks in advance!

@beachy your sense of humour is back...hurray brain fuzzies are departing. I think I am slowly recovering the pain is less, swelling and warmth is more but I take that as healing. I was able to play piano at church this morning for the first time. The nice thing is between playing I could sit with my leg up sideways on the front pew. Now I am home resting elevating and icing

Hi Diane, that is great that you were able to get back to the things you enjoy!

I’m pretty sure a combination of general anesthesia and pain meds put fuzz in my brain. Lots o’fuzz.
No complaints so far. 3 days worth of recovery LOL

Reactions: DLR
@beachy so glad to hear that surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery! Soon I'll be on the healing side along with you! :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts