THR BeachGal is back! Time for #2THR

let’s be the bright spot in our day! :wave:
I like your thinking @beachgal !

I do admire you brave folk who sign up for OP. I am a wuss and they would have had to drag me out wailing in protest if they had tried any earlier than Day 2. But everyone who has reported in after a same day discharge has been delighted to be home.

I understand your concern about the shower schedule, and I’m sure it won’t be a two week wait. I had a shower at the hospital after first hip, waterproof dressing and with nurse assisting (paid to go private so had an ensuite shower room). I can remember how wonderful that felt. I can also remember the first attempt at a shower at home, with husband assisting in our cramped little shower room. Husband and shower room were both flooded!

So I’ve read and read posts and replies and I haven’t seen anything much about the popping or clicking of a hip that is bone on bone. I didn’t have any of this with my first THR but it wasn’t the normal presentation so can anyone relate? It’s really gotten worse over the past couple of months and I hardly noticed it the first part of the year. It’s driving me nuts and contributing to my pain level and I don’t see how a pain med can help! I’m befuddled. :tantrum:

@beachgal Alas when the padding between ball and socket of the hip joint has worn away and hip is now "bone on bone" some hips do make clicking and popping noises as the bones rub against each other. I don't know why only some hips do this and others do not. And again alas pain medication does not help much when the hip is this bad. Some folks try ice or heat to ease this kind of pain though any relief is only temporary.

I remember before getting my hips replaced having to find the one least painful position to sit in and just staying in that position as long as I could. I also used crutches before surgery as it hurt so much to walk. I was taking Vicodan but that did not help much ... only took the edge off a bit so I could get some sleep.

I sure hope you can get your surgery schedule fairly quickly as your situation sounds very painful.

The days seem to drag by as I wait for my OS appt yet I have so much work to get done before I can leave my office in good shape. The meds I’m taking now for hip pain are taking the edge off. I saw my GP yesterday and got the “all clear” from him with the assurance that any pre-op tests needed will be expedited by his office. He had the info in my file from my local ortho dr and agreed that “it’s time” so I’m just sitting on the “G”, waiting for the “O”. Old southern expression. Hope all are well and getting ready for your surgeries. My sister has gathered all my equipment and has cleared her calendar so we just need THE DATE!

The waiting..... one of the worst stages of our THR's. But you are staying busy and have such a great attitude. :thumb:
That's half the battle. but I really feel your pain..the waiting can be so difficult. Hang tough, girl!

Good Luck with your appointment tomorrow! I hope you're able to get surgery scheduled at a time that works best for you. Have a great rest of the week!
@beachgal

@Layla, thank you for the good karma to take with me! I think you know me well enough from this forum to figure that I’m not leaving OS without a firm surgery date! Excited! Scared! Happy! Just ready to position myself for these golden years ahead. I’ll post when I get date and any other observations from appt. Woohoo!
:dancy:

Woohoo! I'm happy for you. Not long now until double hippy status. :egypdance:
Will look forward to hearing more later...:)
@beachgal

Back again for hip #2! I had my OS appt yesterday and was determined not to leave without a firm surgery date. He took one look at my xray and said, "Let's Roll...." (yes, I adore this genius surgeon!) so his scheduler walked in and offered up 9/29! I swallowed hard as I was expecting his first available date to be mid-October but I'm a good candidate for outpatient procedure and they had an opening so I'm well on my way! Can't wait! Hope everyone ahead of me this month has a miraculous surgery, an easy recovery, and let's go on and live our best life! Best wishes and prayers to all...

:angel:

@beachgal
I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month.

We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

Given your scheduled date, you'll already be feeling better by mid October rather than facing surgery...so that's a good thing!
Hope you have a nice weekend!
@beachgal

Thinking of you - just a few weeks to go! Something to consider getting now is new shoes. I bought my usual Sketchers memory foam "slip on" tennis shoes. Slip on with a VERRRRRY long shoe horn. I had problems using a shoe horn after my surgery so I researched other options. I found Kizik slip in shoes and I love them - slip in, slip out and truly comfortable. I bought the Athens style and highly recommend. They ran true to size for me. I paid a tad extra for expedited shipping, so I got them within two days of my order placed directly from Kizik.com. Just a thought.

@BellaMac, I was SO sick of my slip on shoes from the other hip surgery, I threw them away when I could finally wear something different. I do recall, though, that they are a necessary evil! I'm going to look at those Kizik's and see about ordering some. I can't go without something and the ones I bought a couple of weeks ago, well, they just are not very comfortable. When I think of wearing slip ons with the compression hose, well, it sorta makes me cringe, but I won't be out in the public much. UGH! Thanks for the shoe tip, though. I'll let you know what I choose! :heehee:

While you're checking them out, there is another hands free brand I've read about here called Zeba. I don't own either of these brands, but hey do interest me and I will do a little research on both when I'm in need of a new pair of walking shoes. Good Luck!
@beachgal

I’m gradually collecting the items I’ll need for my recovery. I have a pile started on the guest room bed and each time I remember something that was useful, it goes on the stack. Believe it or not, I still have my two ice gel packs with Velcro cover that the hospital sent home with me from my first surgery. If I could only have one thing, it would be them. I also grabbed a 18-pack cheap white washcloths from Walmart to do my freshening up each day without destroying my good towels. I have reused them for other household cleaning chores and with the pup but they came in handy in the first days when I couldn’t shower but felt like I needed to scrub a bit. At $4, they are a bargain, and I paired them with baby wash for gentle cleaning. My skorts are still like new and they are on the stack. I did order a few new tank tops with shelf bras so I’ll be comfy. They also were recycled into gardening clothes after I finished with them the first time. I’ll keep my list going as I add to it. This surgery will be a bit different as I’ll be staying in a hotel for a few weeks near my surgery center. There is a kitchen in my room so I’ll begin to prepare and freeze some meals to have handy. I want to eat healthy! :egypdance:

Time for a quick update as my 9/29 surgery date nears. I did all my pre-op testing and xrays this morning along with meeting with my local GP to get his "stamp of approval" for surgery fitness, all to be sent to my OS who is about three hours north of my hometown. I had to chase down a chest xray facility, but everything else was done in my GP's office.

I'm still pretty busy at work but I believe I have everything on track to be able to leave the office by this Friday and will save Monday and Tuesday of next week for the unforeseen things that are bound to crop up. I plan to pack my suitcase full of loungewear and loose clothes, proper shoes, and my Kindle loaded with all the books I've yet to read. I'll have some work-type things to do but only if the mood strikes me and my head is clear enough. It wasn't the first time so we'll see.

With the removal of my pain meds for this last few days prior to surgery, I'm surprised at how my pain level has risen. Again, so happy to have only a few more days to wait. Hubby said it best, "I'll bet you can't wait until they start that IV".....yes, indeed.....

I'll post again when I get settled into the hotel before my surgery and I'm so happy that all the September hippies are ahead of me in their healing. I'll look forward to seeing you all on "the other side" soon.

Hi, @beachgal -- how did I miss the fact that we are having our surgery on the same day? Won't be long, now.

Our stories are very parallel. I had my TLHR a couple of years ago and am back now for #2. The first one was done in a hospital with an overnight stay, but since then, the group has opened its own "state-of-the-art" Surgical Center and they've got me down for surgery there. Same surgeon, different location. At first I was apprehensive about being in a place that didn't have dozens of MDs wandering around the halls, but I've read so many great stories about people's experiences with these surgical centers, I'm now quite looking forward to checking the place out. I tell myself they wouldn't let me have the surgery there unless they figured I was fit enough for it. In my case, they'll do the surgery Thursday and kick me out Friday morning after breakfast.

We are about an hour and a half away from the office, so we will be staying at a hotel the night before. Like you, I'm going through my mental checklist and trying to remember everything that worked for me last time. I even reviewed my old bonesmart posts. Man-o-man, are you ever right about the pain level these 10 days before surgery. I had no idea how useful those advils were until I wasn't allowed to take them.

Blessings for a smooth, uneventful surgery and a paint controlled start to a great recovery. We'll be looking forward to your update from the healing side.

@Woodstockhip @Hip4life @BellaMac @Layla

Night before drive to surgery center area. Work completed at office. Healthy dinner. A glass of wine with plenty of water. Nothing subsides my hip pain and my last-minute activities are measured. Car gassed up. Two errands to run after I arrive to pick up supplies, and hotel room is ready. And SO AM I!

If you need convincing that it’s time to do your surgery, stay off all pain meds for a few days. No, thanks. I don’t want pain nor do I want to live on meds forever. Time to fix!

A few last minute reminders:

Shave your legs and other parts a couple of nights before surgery. Lotion up and realize that it’ll be awhile before you can do that again-on your own.

Gather your most comfy clothes to wear. Realize you will fall asleep at 1:17 in the afternoon yet be awake at 3 am so just be relaxed in your attire.

Find a nice, long, non-violent series to watch for a few hours each day and consider it a treat. Get your water bottle filled and snacks and ice pack on hip while you are entertained. I’ve just finished watching “Heartland” on Netflix, 14 seasons, sweet storyline, easy watching. Or find something that interests you without any trauma.

Don’t watch the news. I don’t watch it much anyway but you don’t need added stress over things you can’t control. Concentrate your time on yourself and your healing and recovery.

Have all your monthly bills paid in advance, get a stash of cash for any purchases someone may need to pick up for you, and be determined to order grocery items that are healthy for you. Stay away from sugar and salt (except for chocolate) and be sure to drink your water. The trips to the bathroom count as exercise.

Look for the small improvements in each day. You may have some setbacks but other areas will move forward so pay attention to them. Little miracles, I call them. They’re there everyday but especially during our healing time.

Throw away your clock and calendar. Period. Got an appt? Unless it’s with your Pt person or OS, it’s not written in stone. Listen to your body and give it rest when you’re tired and sore. It will tell you what it needs.

That’s it. No magic formula. Just common sense but we are bumping into walls with pain right now and need a loving reminder that we are not doomed to live this painful way. Give yourself permission to do what it takes to take the best care of yourself. In the end, you’re all you’ve got.

Tonight I’m praying for all of us, for the folks in the path of Ian, and our planet. Let me just be the best I can be, is my prayer. And that’s enough.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom