THR BeachGal is back! #2 Done!

Good morning, all! Yes, sleep arrived and I was blessed with good rest and no pain. My PT came yesterday with new exercises (good thing I had rested!), this time they were standing exercises. We walked twice as far as the last session but I had been extending out my distance so I was prepared. Hard exercises but we only did one set, left me to do additional ones on my own. He also showed me the safe way to enter/exit the shower and we asked the hotel for an additional rubber mat to stand on out of shower. We will start transitioning to cane tomorrow when he comes again.

So I was tired last night after a busy PT day and a couple of short visits from friends but woke early this morning. After coffee, I gathered my courage and calculated my movements to get that first shower. I abandoned the compression hose yesterday and decided I’d rather stand in shower than fret with shower chair. It was perfect. I had towel and washcloth handy, walker beside the stall, and it all went smoothly. I did not linger, paid attention to keeping my balance, and opted to sit on toilet to completely dry off. Like clockwork.

Now I’m icing my hip, relaxing a bit, and plan to walk at lunchtime. Pain level is minimal. Hip still tight and achy but easier moving each day.

A few of my friends have expressed concern at my being alone now in hotel. Well, this was sort of my plan. I found that if I have to depend on myself to get ice, water, bathroom breaks, PT, and walks, I’m working my hip more than if someone was bringing stuff to me. It also helps my brain wake up when I figure out how to make each “errand” count. This is my job now. This rehab and recovery is the only thing on my mind. So, no audience, please. Sisters check on me throughout the day and I have plenty of food and drinks so it’s all good.

Thankful I’m another day past surgery. The healing is a miracle and I love mine!

Now, almost time for that autumn walk in this beautiful sunshine! :wow:

@Woodstockhip, I’m so glad to hear of your rest! It’s such an important part of healing. I feel I’m being a bit lazy when I finally pack on the ice but the body heals on its own time, we just have to allow it without interference. I’ve been doing a little office work from my laptop but minimal.

I can’t decide if I think I’m on track, not trying to rush things, but I have a target date to drive myself home so I need to be at my best by then. I’ll get in the car over the weekend and practice driving in the parking lot to see how my right leg responds. Just another hurdle but a big one.

Walking the fine line of doing enough and not overdoing it is a challenge. I’m just listening to my body and letting it set the pace.

Sounds like you are doing great! Yay!!

So glad to hear things are going well for you, beachgal. So in your experience the anterior approach is more advantageous during recovery? I'm having posterior for surgery 1 because my OS doesn't like the anterior approach. Wonder if I ought to find an OS who specializes in anterior when I do surgery 2. Anyway, so pleased you're pleased with your progress. Keep up the good work!

@Merrimay, well, yes, I think the anterior approach will be remembered as an “easier” recovery for all the reasons you have heard but, honestly, I’m sort of glad my hip #1 was posterior. I made friends with the restrictions, spent the first two nights in the hospital where they controlled my pain via IV, and I could relax a bit with all the happenings. Then this time, even though the restrictions are not in place, I’m finding that my body is acting naturally in restricting me from what I need to avoid. Blessing in disguise.

I will say, though, I’m having some muscle pain tonight. I’m going to have to dial it back a notch or two until it quiets down. Nothing good will come from powering through it.

Hi beachgal.. Sounds like progress is being made! You do make me nervous with your plan to begin driving this early on in your recovery. :driver: I must have missed something, was your surgeon and hospital a sizeable distance from your home?

Happy healing!!

@CricketHip, yes, about three hours away. I’ll just start by backing car out of parking space and then going forward again. Just testing the waters. No real driving and parking lot will be pretty empty.

Ahh, okay then. I will take off my worry cap for now.. :martini:

Hi Beachgal, you inspire me! I have a 1.5 hour trip to and from Surgeryville and thought that put me at a disadvantage. I like your balance of determination and can-do spirit and practical sense of caution.

Woodstockhip, thank you! Believe it or not, I never gave a cooler a thought! Thank you for that vital advice.

@Woodstockhip @Merrimay I hadn’t thought of ice packs on the road, either! I might have frozen a couple of water bottles but why? I’ll just leave ice packs in freezer until I ready to leave. :heehee:

I’m still having groin and upper thigh muscle pain. I don’t know if it’s just an overzealous workout that’s that cause or if this pain may be with me awhile. I didn’t have it until we still the standing exercises so I’m hoping rest, ice, acetaminophen will take the edge off but it’s still lighting up this morning as I’ve walked to get coffee in lobby. It’s only been 48 hours since my zealous PT session that was the culprit so I’m not freaking out. :shrug:

The gals preparing the hot breakfasts are making me a hot egg frittata with sausage and biscuits later so I’m feeling the love. Three of them stopped by ky room yesterday to check on me. See why I love this place? :thumb:

So, just to assure you that I’m really in a good place, mentally, too, I started doing some holiday shopping online last night. Mostly just looking but the fact that it’s even something I care about is the promise of a healthier and happy season ahead. I always buy a personalize ornament for our tree for the pup and my resource had some really cute new ones for 2022. ✔️
Then I found a few new pillows for our deck since we may be celebrating outdoors if weather allows. We have taken a Christmas morning boat ride in past years on the back bayou.

Hope everyone had a healthy and productive weekend, keeping our eye on the ball and no time for negative thoughts! Let’s channel that energy into good stuff for us, plenty of water, icing, rest, elevate. We’ve got this! :loveshwr:

Glad to hear of your progress and recovery, but sorry you’re having some aches. I’m scheduled for anterior thr at the end of this month, so I plan to follow your progress. Thanks for posting about it!

Great attitude!!Hard to feel anything but joyous on a day like this:

Attachments

• 9C2CFB35-B796-4248-935E-A22263E56785.jpeg
    9C2CFB35-B796-4248-935E-A22263E56785.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 60
Happy Sunday @beachgal
It seems you're doing pretty well aside from what sounds like overly ambitious PT. I hope you're able to give it a break, or ease up a bit during your sessions. Don't want to see you struggling with needless pain that can be prevented. It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
Safe travels home in you're not there yet and if you are home, a great day to you!

Hi, all! This weekend has been one of healing, slower but deliberate walks, and scaled-back reps on PT exercises. I’ve rested and iced well. Pretty boring stuff but beats the pain and muscle ache. Considerably better than last week.

I showered and washed my hair after breakfast and, of course, the phone rang several times but I ignored it. I stood washing my hair with no fear and actually enjoyed the process. Beats the kitchen sink, for sure. Then I rotated carefully around on the rubber shower mat while taking care to scrub everywhere I could reach, save my bandage. That was pretty nice, too! I let the warm water run down my back and relaxed my grip on the safety bar. It didn’t hurt to stand with equal weight on both feet. After I dried off, with water dripping all around, I wrapped my hair in the towel and grabbed an ice pack to just sit and rest. Almost felt like a spa day! :egypdance:

The phone calls I’d missed were hubby sending me a couple of photos of a house newly listed in an area we like. I forwarded the photos to our realtor who is also a very good friend and she made a couple of calls about it. The abbreviated version of this saga is that he met her to see the house this afternoon and we made an offer on it just a few minutes ago. I “walked” through the house via FaceTime and it seemed to be a great place for us to downsize a bit. More yard than we have now but less house. So, while all you hippies were sitting around watching football and drinking your water with ice on your incisions, I was buying a house! And a lot!! The owner offered to sell us the adjoining lot at a very reasonable price.

I’m still sorta shell shocked but I’m so happy he found it and he feels like the cat that swallowed the canary. :rotfl:

I hope everyone had a great weekend, wishing those awaiting surgery calm nerves, and wishing us all a productive and healing week ahead. We have lots of living still to do! Blessings, all!

:angel:

Look at you my saucy BoneSmart friend! Buying houses while recuperating. And a spa day too. You gave me a good laugh with that one.
Congratulations on your new home,, we are beginning to circle around that idea, also.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom