TKR BCS Anna's Recovery

Beginning post-op week four today and it began with a major meltdown.:boohoo:

Up to this time, I had been using a shower chair and a shower head in the hand held position. This morning I decided that I wanted to take a shower like a "big girl." And so, I gathered up my change of clothes; put my hair products and shower gel within easy reach in the shower and went to turn on the water. No water! :censored:

I was quick to realize that after my last shower, my husband had turned the shower head in the off position when he hung it back up. So there I was in my birthday suit ready to take my shower with no water and not being tall enough to reach the shower head to turn the water back on!:hairpulling:

I then wrapped myself in a towel, got my cell phone and called my husband's cell phone to track him down to fix my shower head. Of course my call went to his voice mail which then put me right over the edge.:gaah::bawl:

When he came in the house a few moments later, he found me wrapped in a towel, sitting on my shower chair in the corner of my bathroom, crying my eyes out and yelling, like a crazy woman, "My life is never going to be normal again! I can't sleep on my side; I am sick and tired of icing and elevating my knee. I am tired all the time. I can't do the things I normally do. I am just sick, sick, sick of all of this!"

And that, my BoneSmart friends, was my pre July 4th fireworks display this morning.:hissy:

My spouse was smart enough to just allow me to vent without comment. He learned that lesson well when I was being treated for cancer..."Just let her vent and keep your mouth shut.":heehee:

Anna:flwrysmile:

My meltdown was when the ice machine attached to the walker over balanced the walker, and fell to the floor taking the walker into the middle of my new “Swimming pool” in the kitchen. The lid separates from the ice machine but is in the shallow area of the “pool”.
It took an entire load of laundry worth of towels to “drain the pool” and ingenuity to fish out the various parts from the “pool”. Did I mention the air was blue?

I had the second meltdown with PT on Monday. “I am not going to ever be normal...all it does is swell, you put me through exercises and I have gone backwards...I am getting no sleep...” She sagely shook her head, handed me a tissue and talked me off of the ledge. After I apologized during the next visit....she says it happens all the time. ( she does Ortho exclusively in her practice).

I sympathize and commend your wise spouse.

@BCSAnna,

Describes my yesterday exactly! The need to vent is REAL! My husband still needs to learn the be quiet lesson. I've never had a problem he didn't want to solve :rotfl:

@Cynof4

Cynthia,

Believe me, it took years to finally train my husband to learn the difference between being a problem solving helper and just being a silent sounding board for my venting.

It took awhile; however, he did learn. Now, whenever someone asks us what's the secret to a long and happy marriage, my spouse is quick to respond, "Knowing when to keep your mouth shut!":heehee:

As my recovery moves along, he is learning, by trial and error, when to praise my progress and when to just let me vent my frustrations. Regardless of how overblown they might be.:whistle:

As I begin week number four, my extension has remained at 0 and my flexion, as of this morning, is 110. And, I began pedaling backwards on my recumbent bike this week. And so, despite my periodic meltdowns, I am pleased with my progress thus far.

Cynthia, I hope you and your family enjoy the holiday tomorrow. My daughter and her family are coming over tomorrow afternoon, for a little family holiday picnic, before they head out to the fireworks display and Nana returns to her peace and quiet.:sleeep:

And so, despite my periodic meltdowns, I am pleased with my progress thus far.
You are making great progress - even if you don't shower as often as you would like:heehee: While it is often hard to see much improvement from one day to the next, looking at what happens over a week, and at some point - very close for you, over a month can be quite positive.

And my husband doesn't so much keep his mouth shut as to ask in a very quiet voice, "Is there anything I can do for you right now or should I just retreat?" And sometimes I answer, "Just stay right there and let me vent - I need someone to hear me." He does so with a neutral face and nothing else. It works.

Ah the epic meltdown. I just missed having one today that involved the home care supervisor coming late without calling. Which resulted in lunch being late. And I hate getting the run around. And horrible home health care is the reason I spent so much time in the hospital in January. I was totally ready to explode, but she said something when she came in that made my husband laugh, so I lost some of my steam. I dont know what she said, I was upstairs.

I am sure all of us will have our share of meltdowns over the course of our recoveries.:bawl:

I was just having a pity party for myself. It is a hot beautiful July day today. The perfect beach day. And where am I, indoors icing my knee after doing two loads of laundry earlier today. My spouse then gave me one of his pep talks about how much better my recovery is going than we both anticipated. I know he is right; but, this recovery is moving along at a snail's pace and I am bored out of my mind!:sad:

@BCSAnna
Ooh..... I so relate to that out of your mind post. I am not two weeks out as of yet. Due to the 4th throwing off schedules, I don’t see the doc for driving release for 12 days yet.

I have been trying to keep a regular schedule, do laundry here, eat here, check e-mail here, but there is only so much TV one can watch.....so many coloring books in which to color....so many old photographs to get rid of, so many personal papers to file etc.

My brother, the MD, called to check on me. When I complained about the monotony of my days, do exercises, take walks, sleep, eat, ice, repeat....he said “Yep....keep it up!” Sigh......

I was thrilled when a girlfriend called to say she was bringing dinner as she was spouse less and childless due to a basketball tournament. Oh....a person to talk to coming to me with FOOD!? Score!

Tomorrow will mark four weeks since my TKR. My recovery is still going well and this week I have felt a boost in my energy level. I am now riding my recumbent bike twice a day at ten minute sessions each. And, my main accomplishment this week was being able to pedal forward on my bike. Investing in that bike was one of my better decisions as my knee feels less stiff after riding the bike.

That was the good news this week. The shocker of the week was delivered yesterday.

My husband's brother called him yesterday afternoon. After their conversation my husband came into see me and said, "I really don't want to tell you this; but, I have to." His brother had informed him that my sister-in-laws' sister had hip replacement surgery, a week ago Monday, at a community hospital in New Jersey. Then, this past Sunday, she began experiencing severe pain in her hip, was taken back to the hospital, and past away at 2am yesterday morning. She was 64 years old.

Needless to say, my husband and daughter are not handling this news well at all. And are now checking constantly if I have my TED hose on; if I am still taking my blood thinning medication; etc. I am now in the position of trying to reassure them that I am fine and my recovery is going very well. However, if truth be told, this shocking news knocked the whole family for a loop and brought home the fact that joint replacement surgery is in deed very, very serious business. RIP Diane. :prayer:

Anna

That's so sad, do they know it was surgery related? Frightening.

@Benay

It was due to a blood clot. Perhaps if she had of gone to a major medical center she would not have had the complications. However, the community hospital where she had her surgery does not have the greatest reputation. It is the same hospital where my father-in-law was diagnosed in March for a pinched nerve in his back. Only to be re-diagnosed, at a follow up appointment the following September, with stage 4 lung cancer. He lived for four months after that.

The moral of the story is make sure to find the best hospital and best surgeon you can before undergoing any surgery.

Anna

I’m sorry for your loss. It is a serious surgery, no doubt about it.

I found riding my recumbent bike helped to keep my knee loose. I’m glad it’s helping you as well.

Congratulations on your good news. I also found the recumbent bike was a huge help in my tkr's recovery. I would wake up in the middle of the night in discomfort and then jump on the bike for as little as 5 minutes and my knee would feel much better.

Prayers to you and your husband on your loss. It had to be a shock. With as active as you are, I think you are a low risk for a blood clot. Of course, that's always something to look out for!

Just checking in on you. I’m on vacation this week in Key West. Back to reality next Tuesday. Surgery July 29tj...

How’s your recovery going?

Cynthia

@Cynof4

Hi Cynthia,:wave:

My recovery is still going exceptionally well. "Penelope" was five weeks old yesterday. And, this past week, I have caught myself on several occasions forgetting about her and the fact that I now have a replacement knee. I take that as a very good sign.:egypdance:

I had my first post-op visit with my OS this morning. And, he still refers to me as his "Rock Star" of patients.:heehee: As soon as he walked into the exam room he said, "I can tell by the way you are sitting that your recovery is right on track!" I was sitting with my surgical leg, past 110 degrees flex, tucked under the chair.

When both my husband and I remarked that this surgery and recovery was a lot easier than we had anticipated, my OS responded. "I perform over 400 knee replacements a year and I will tell you, how well the patient does post-op purely depends on the patient. Some patients think it is the worst thing they have ever experienced while others, such as yourself, say that wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Those patients are mentally prepared for the surgery and recovery and are determined to have the best possible outcome. And those patients are my "Rock Stars." :yahoo:

And so, the bottom line is, my OS is extremely pleased with my progress and overall recovery. He told me to just keep up the good work and he will see me in three months.:dancy:

Cynthia, I am waiting to welcome you over to the recovery side. And, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as your surgery date nears.

In the meantime, enjoy the Florida Keys. We will be "snowbirding" down in the Keys beginning in December through March. Right now we are baking in 100 degree temps here at the beach in Delaware. As a result, I am staying indoors with my central A/C and my books. So far, since my surgery, I have completed reading 15 novels and 8 non-fiction books. Completed two adult coloring books and watched more DVDS of my favorite movies and TV shows than I care to count!

I’m heading to Bethany Beach and 100°temps in two days! Hope it doesn’t last...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom