TKR Barometric Pressure?<

Mine would hurt, no matter what direction the pressure went, if it changed quickly. The pain would last only about 10-15 minutes, then settle back down. Even this summer when we had the remnants of a hurricane come through, I had bad pains in my new knee. But the barometric dropped very low very quickly. It wasn't only my new knee that hurt. So did my old knee and my repaired shoulder and healed broken foot and ankle! I guess I'm just a weather predictor!

@Josephine
Thank you, what can I do to combat that barometric pressure feeling in my leg? Is there anything one might try?

Happy New Year!

@sistersinhim
Haha, yes, most of my joints hurt too. I'm battling DeQuervain's tenosynovitis as well and I just can't stand this! Ugh.

I too am a weather predictor. Watching the news right now and they predict rain. I say I knew that already!!

Last edited:
I've never found anything to stop the barometric pressure change pain except time for the body to adjust to it. This past summer I just got up and walked around the house. Who knows if it helped or not, but at least I was trying to do something it!

You're so right! It's just one of those "have to grin and bear it" things.

Some new news, I had physical therapy & my post surgical surgeon visit today.
PT says they are very impressed with my ROM at this point. I am pleased with my abilities. I did have to admit, I do take my pain meds about a half hour before that visit!
My surgeon is happy with my progress at this point. Had my bandages removed today & there is purulent discharge on one area. We are concerned and watching that closely. At this time, we are leaving it open "in hopes it will dry up."
What do all think? Hope all is well with everyone this new year!
Much Love,
April

I do take my pain meds about a half hour before that visit!
You should never take pain meds before PT. You need to feel the pain to know when to stop! Masking that pain will allow you to do too much and your knee will suffer from pain and swelling.

ad my bandages removed today & there is purulent discharge on one area.
Did your OS take a sample of this discharge? I pray it's nothing bad!

@sistersinhim
Ugh... I'm so disappointed! Just when I think I'm doing things right... Okay no more pain meds before PT.

No my OS' P.A. Did not take a sample, she feels like it's glue and wants to watch it. I think she's correct as I haven't seen anything more or new come from there today and it does seem to be drying up.

Thanks ~ April

I have yet another question... I have an MRI in the morning and am very claustrophobic! Last time I had an MRI they gave me diazepam to stay calm. I am currently on tramadol and don't wish to mix drugs. I already know that's dangerous!
My question is...
Will Tramadol keep me calm enough in an MRI just as the diazepam did? I'm going in legs first as this will be on my ankle, so I'm hoping for my fears to be diminished by just that fact. What do y'all think please?:sos:

I don’t know about your medication question but whenever I have an MRI I always ask for an eye cover, so I can’t see anything (I don’t trust myself to not open my eyes) and one place let me play music I brought with me (Kenny G was very calming)

I'm way more comfortable in a recliner. 8m even sleeping there right now. If you have pain in the back of your knee, it could be a baker's cyst. I had one last week and it resolved over a few days with more rest and TLC. Good luck!

It's very possible that your whole body won't go in the machine. Mine didn't when I had a MRI on my knee, just from my lower check down was in it. It wasn't bad at all. Hopefully, your whole body won't be inside.

I did it, my MRI I mean! Phew!
My appointment time was perfect timing for my next dose of tramadol and I took the max dose of 2. I was very relaxed! Yes @sistersinhim only my lower half went into the machine!
It was a successful study and once again, thank you for this wonderful support system! I'm glad you're all here! :roseshwr:

I'm 3 weeks in and still having such dull aching deep muscle behind the knee excruciating pain! I discovered bruising and am wondering if my ice machine straps, and the fact I sleep in the fetal position, are causing the bruising during the night. I'm awake all night, taking off the ice, putting back on the ice, crying in pain!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks! April

Oh boy, it sounds like you're doing too much during the day. That's usually brings on the night time pain. I wasn't able to sleep on my side for a few months. I did the ice at night, but I used the circulating cold water ice machine. It stayed cold for hours, which helped me sleep better. But, it was on my back with my knees and legs elevated. You can't elevate if you on your side. Try elevating all night. I know it's hard to sleep on your back, but you can get used to it. Bruising is also normal after this surgery. If you have the straps too tight, that probably would cause a bruise. Try loosening them.

Thank you @sistersinhim Sleeping on my back is difficult, I agree! I will try to elevate and loosen the straps tonight. I actually slept for four hours last night, that felt good!
:yes!:

Although this barometric pressure is getting to me, I took my last tramadol last night at 9pm. May I take a .5mg Ativan tonight? I usually use Ativan for insomnia every night. I haven't taken it since my surgery as I have been on pain meds. Do you think it's safe 24hrs later?
Thanks!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88