THR Barb8683's New Hip

Barb8683

Country
United States United States
Hello to all! I’m at 10 1/2 weeks (March 3rd, 2022 was my surgery, THR anterior). I had a nerve block with anesthesia. I thought I was doing extremely well. Started back to water aerobics (in a WARM pool….ahhh) at 5 weeks (with dr approval). restrictions were lifted at 5 weeks. Now just tonight I’m having like a burning stabbing pain (not constant) in my thigh where the implant would be. Is this normal? Maybe I’m pushing it too much? Maybe I’m being paranoid?

@Barb8683 Hi! I don't think you are being paranoid but maybe you are doing a little too much? I also feel hot burning pain in the hip and I do think this might be just normal recovery aches and pains but I'm no doctor. I am amazed you are doing water aerobics! My surgery was 2/11 and I had hip pinning so different because I don't have an implant just hardware. This recovery is very long and arduous for sure and having someone to bounce off notes and moan and groan to is so helpful isn't it?

Thanks for the encouragement @Snoopy55. I agree….I think I need to scale it back some. Hip pinning sounds painful. Fortunately, the doc did not have to use cement or pins with my implant. My 12 week appt is June 1st, so hopefully they will repeat X-rays. I think this kind of surgery really messes with the psyche! I didn’t think of any thing before surgery with all the agony and terrible pain. Now I get a twitch or burning, and I think I‘m falling apart! Lol

Hello @Barb8683. I have started a new recovery thread for you. If you would like a different title please let us know and we'll be glad to change it for you.

Here is some reading to help you manage your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs

6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello @Barb8683
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I am wondering how you’re doing and how your 12 week post op visit on June1st went? Please update us if you care to share. We’d love to support you and follow your progress.
All the best to you!

Hi Layla….sorry I wasn’t on here sooner! My June 1st checkup was really good…everything looks fine. Now I’m 8 months since surgery, and although I still have some discomfort at times, overall I think I’m doing awesome. My leg is still numb in places, but I can tell it’s coming back to life! Some days are worse than others, but they are getting further and further apart. Before surgery I was limping quite badly. Now I walk straight. I’m to the point that I’m not thinking about it all day. That said, I stay aware of the fact that I need to be careful and not to overdo things. Just in the last month I have been able to sleep on my operative side, which I am so pleased about. I think my next checkup is in Jan 2023. Would I do it again if need be?? Absolutely!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom