Lounge Doctor

TKR Badbone's TKR recovery

Badbone

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just had the operation, very comfortable with the post op medication. Stood up about six hours after op. A bit of bleeding through the bandages so will carry on tomorrow. Feel much better than I expected.

OP
OP
B

Badbone

Country
Forgot to say I asked the surgeon about leg straightening, he said he always does that and unlikely to bother me as it is a sideways change with very little vertical change.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Badbone Welcome to the other side. You will notice I moved both your post op post to a recovery thread for you. Please keep all your updates here so that we have all your history in one place.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

benne68

Country
United States United States
@Badbone I also had to have my leg straightened during the procedure. From what I've been told, this is fairly common. My surgeon said he sees bowing a lot in patients who, like me, postpone the surgery and keep walking on knee compartments that are bone-on-bone.

I'm only a few days in, but I have the strangest sensation that my operated leg is now longer than the other one. :yikes:

Roy Gardiner

Country
Yup. I could stand at 'attention' and still get my fist through the gap between my knees. Not any more.

Daveboy1810

Country
I too was bow legged and during the time when only my right leg was straightened and the left still bowed, I had quite a limp due to the uneven gait, with the straight leg being at least 1/2 inch taller than the other. It was not until I had BOTH legs straightened that I now can walk with no limp whatsoever.

OP
OP
B

Badbone

Country
Now day three after op. Spent an uncomfortable night, woken by pain. Different niw, burning sensation along cut line, ache as if my knee is being bent the wrong way, psiatic pain in hip and thigh. Unable to do straight leg lift, a lot of pain in the front thigh muscle. Told this is due to the torniquet used during the op. The nurse commented that not all doctors use it. Patients that did not have the tourniquet tended to be a little aenemic after op, so swings and roundabouts.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Unable to do straight leg lift, a lot of pain in the front thigh muscle.
Please don't worry about any leg lifts for now. Time to focus on healing and getting control of that post op pain. Plenty of time for exercises when all the muscles and soft tissues settle from all the trauma.

Sisterpat

Country
Welcome, Badbone! Hey, take it slow! These early days that infant knee needs to be coddled like a newborn! Ice, elevate, medicate. Gentle stretches and a few walks to the bathroom. Plenty of time ahead for strengthening exercises. Slow is the way to go.

eaglemom

Country
As has been said, slow is the way to go. At this point you don't need to be doing anything exercise wise except ADL's. Some very gentle stretches are very acceptable, but nothing else. The more you do the madder the knee gets then you have more pain & swelling.

Less is best.

Daveboy1810

Country
Forgot to say I asked the surgeon about leg straightening, he said he always does that and unlikely to bother me as it is a sideways change with very little vertical change.
Actually I think your surgeon is dead wrong. I was bowlegged too and it wasn't until I had my second TKR that I can walk without a limp. BOTH legs need to be straightened in order to correct your gait.

OP
OP
B

Badbone

Country
Well, it's now day eight, came home on day three delayed as some bleeding from the scar. Managed a lap of the ward and up and down stairs with the type of crutches that grip your forearm. Most comfortable on day five, now seems worse each day perhaps due to the long term pain medication given during the op now wearing off. Sciatica in the hip of the operated leg seems to be constant, sitting or lying down, less so when walking with crutches.

My main concern is unable to do straight leg lift as the leg just pivots at the knee with the foot just dragging along the floor. When sitting I can just lift my thigh a few inches with effort and pain in the top of the thigh. Cannot get my leg to pivot up from the knee, no pain just nothing happens a bit like when the spinal med was wearing off. Being worried that there is some long-term nerve damage I phoned the hospital on day seven who asked me to pop on. They told me bruising and pain in the thigh may be due to the tourniquet used during the op. Did not have an answer about the inability to lift my leg, it was the weekend so no consultants were available. They did say if the pain got worse, got hot and red then to report to my local casualty as may be DVT. Feel like I have taken a new car back to the main dealer to be told to go see a backstreet garage. photo of leg showing marks of tourniquet just after op before purple bruising came out.

IMG_20210918_140622347.jpg

Pumpkin

Country
@Badbone
Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome:
Did not have an answer about the inability to lift leg
You have what is known as Log Leg, your muscles are inhibited from the surgery. Your body is trying to protect you from further injury by shutting down your quads. They will wake up as you heal.
This inhibition is a protective measure, keeps us from walking on our leg after a fracture causing further injury. Once your brain gets the message that is is OK to walk, your quad will wake up.

Until then you can use your other leg to lift your leg, or use a belt of some sort to help lift your leg.
When in bed lying flat, push your knee gently into the bed to help wake up that quad. It may not move much at first, just keep on doing them. a few times through out the day.

sistersinhim

Country
Thank God you didn't have a blood clot. There will be many different aches and pains as you recover from this surgery. Take note of the after-effects of doing something...pain and/or swelling will be an indication that you are doing too much too soon for your knee at this time. As you heal you'll be able to do more without bad after-effects.

Jockette

Country
@Badbone I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
Best wishes, @Badbone on your recovery. Yes, that log leg is very common and it's from the tourniquet. Your quad will eventually wake up and will work. Keep taking your meds around the clock, rest, ice, elevate and baby that knee. Don't worry about doing all those exercises right now. You have plenty of time for that later.

Tucker1

Country
Dr said he had to go in and do a TKR.

OP
OP
B

Badbone

Country
Many thanks for all your kind thoughts. Never heard of log leg but it is a good name for how it feels. When getting into bed I sit halfway down on the right side, then lift the left operated leg up by hooking my right foot under my left ankle and swinging it up onto the bed. Suprising how heavy a leg is! You have helped put my mind at rest, I was becoming fearful some permanent damage had been done to the leg. As far as I know the quad is on the top of the thigh from the hip to the kneecap which I can use, with difficulty, and that there is another muscle from the kneecap to the ankle which lifts the shin. Do not know what that muscle is called but assume that is the one that has switched off as a protective measure.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carolyn67
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom