THR Bad hips!!

skigirl

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
I had my knees replaced in 2009 and 2010, now I just had an appointment with a very petite female orthopod who told me I need both hips replaced!! She does not do them at once and really, I would not want them done at the same time---an infection would be a catastrophe with both at the same time.

I am still in shock and really kind of mad!! I don't want fake hips it is bad enough having fake knees. I have to get up like a two year old as it is. When I am in Pilates and yoga, i think my knees are a pain! With fake hips will I even be able to go to Pilates?

But, I ususally walk my dogs two miles per day and lately, I have been going a shorter distance. I am also limping---only when no one is looking!!! I just grit my teeth and go on when I am with someone else. I use tylenol for pain, anti inflammatories make me retain water and i feel terrrible after two days. I have a high pain tolerance and frankly, it is not that bad right now. Mostly aching in my groin. I notice it now while I am sitting!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, skigirl!

So sorry to hear about this diagnosis. My left hip is iffy on occasion and I am in denial. (My shoulders aren’t great, either!) And working with a joint replacement website make me think joint replacement! :yikes:, especially after a very poor outcome with my partial knee.

Sending hugs as you sort through this information and make your decision! :console2:

New hips gave me my life back-
Glad to have been one and done, too.
I am sorry you are having to deal with a surgery and joint replacement, but new hips will compliment your new knees and you'll be a 100+ year old lady with 23 year old hips!

:wave: @skigirl, sorry about your diagnosis. I can say there have been quite a few folks on here that continued their yoga and Pilates classes after recovering from hip replacement. Wishing you the best while you consider your options.

Hi Skigirl,
Welcome back, both hips what a shock, sounds like they are slowing you down. Hopefully not for long.
Mostly aching in my groin
I have aching in my groin from a torn labrum, when it acts up they hurt.
With fake hips will I even be able to go to Pilates?
Knowing you, yes!

Here's some reading for you.

BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hey @skigirl - good to see you but sorry it's for support through THRs.
With fake hips will I even be able to go to Pilates?
Yes, I did Pilates post LTHR. You will need to modify some of the poses slightly. But any experienced instructor should be able to help you do this.

@Mojo333 what was it like to do two at once and what approach did the doc use?

I saw a very nice woman orthopod who does posterior. She did tell me that there are no more conditions.

I am seeing a doc trained at Mayo on 8/17 who does anterior. Which is best?

I've had both done but not at once, mine are posterior. I can't compare for you but it's all worked out. Best I can tell you is what my Doctor told me that pushed me to have mine done. He explained I wasn't getting any younger and I'm most likely in the best shape I'll ever be from here going forward. Sounds like you're active and want to remain that way. I have no experience or comparison with knees, I do get some stiffness in the morning in the areas around my hips but once moving I can do most anything.

I have been a ski instructor for 25 years. I lived in Montana until 2017. My husband died and I moved to Minneapolis to be closer to kids, grandkids. I still teach "skiing" but this is the midwest---most of the time I do sliding!!

I am 77 so have slowed down a lot. I have an elliptical trainer and use it for 20 min a day. I do pilates twice a week and walk the dogs two miles a day. Otherwise, I do some biking--but more like 10 mile rides now and lots of walking.

I am an artist and do a lot of painting---paint in a semi sitting position with high stool. I mostly spend my life treking across fields to watch soccer or baseball games with grandkids. I go to the united games (our pro team) and sit on top of Mount Everest!! section 116, row 18!!!

I do a lot of yard work with my flowers and have just finished painting two bedrooms. Up and down a ladder is hard!

10 days ago I walked through our bathroom which has a white ceramic tile floor. Suddenly I was flying, landed really hard!! hip, thighs, elbow and fingers of right hand. We had a leaking skylight that I had no known about and there was an inch of water on the floor. the backs of my thighs are still sore, my fingers are still numb and my right knee hurts too. That was my worst fall in years!!

Then two weeks later, I hear that both hips need to be replaced---was i ready to book surgery!!NO WAY!! I have a lot of crying, complaining and wondering to do first!!!!

Hello @skigirl
Sorry to hear the news, but I’m sure being as active as you described above you will fare very well. Wishing you the best as you make decisions and move forward.

I had mine done via the anterior approach as that is the approach my surgeon was highly trained with and he deemed me a good candidate for both at once.
I had no restrictions except the ones I smartly placed on myself. Our bodies know best, as you know.

Not sure all the criteria for determining bilateral, but I know that overall health (physicality) and not having any known underlying health conditions were certainly factors.
Not going to lie, the first weeks were Rough:nah:, but because it is my only experience... I am ever so grateful for one recovery.

Upper body strength was a huge help and after I got through the first month and healed more and gained confidence....things just got better and better.
Still doing great 4 I/2 years out.:happydance:

We have a new bilateral hippy... @Yvres
you may want to check out.
I don't remember being on the forum alot the first week-stayed medicated and did lots of icing!
The approach is not as important as the surgeon's skill. And the recovery time, especially long term, are the same, in my opinion.

I am seeing a doc trained at Mayo on 8/17 who does anterior. Which is best?
There is no "best" approach. It's all about the experience of the surgeon and how bad those hips are when they are replaced.

I can confirm that waiting does have an impact on recovery. Hard to break old habits and a body compensating for a sore hip does change.

Yes, I know I am being my stubborn self. I just hate surgery and everything associated with it. I hate being weak and having to drag myself around. I hate having people pity me because first my knees and now my hips---plus I will have more metal than bone at the end!!!

As you can see, I am not in a good mental state. I hate the idea of a big scar across my butt, so I am not in favor of the posterior method. I hate the idea that someone would staple me!!!!

My bedroom is up a steep stairway of 18 steps---so I will have to drag myself up and down every day. The doc told me I could do it right away--I am not going to stay in the hospital--going right home afterward. I know I can do it too, but what will be the cost"?

I knew that my knees were bad for years and so when surgery rolled around I had exhausted every other method. My hips are catching me unaware. They started hurting only in the early summer. Now, I have a big clunk when i move my knee in yoga and fairly constant aching. The fall on the bathroom floor has not helped either, I am still wondering if some of the pain i feel is from that and when I heal if I will be okay again.

I thought the Doctor was melodramatic when she told me I had severe arthritis (of course) and she told me that I could not have injections because they would not do any good. She seemed nice but does not do two hips at once and only does posterior. I am seeing a hot shot young guy who trained at Mayo on August 17. He does anterior and does do two hips at the same time.

My kid wants me to go down to Mayo, but that is a two hour drive and I want to leave right after surgery and I think a two hour drive might be hard.

Most of all my attitude is terrible--I HATE surgery. I hate having to take my clothing off, I hate the anesthesia, I am afraid of spinals, so have always had general which makes you sleepy for a long time. Most of all I just don't want to deal with replacing any part of me right now!! I want to walk away and forget about all of this stupid stuff!!

I hate the idea of a big scar across my butt, so I am not in favor of the posterior method.
My left THR was posterior and I do not have a big scar across my butt. In fact I can hardly see either of my THR scars.
I hate the idea that someone would staple me!!!!
I doubt they will use staples. These days they use surgical glue.
My bedroom is up a steep stairway of 18 steps
Mine was 13 steps post both THRs. They will have you going up and down stairs before you are discharged from the hospital. And you won't be dragging yourself - crutches or a cane will assist you.
I am seeing a hot shot young guy who trained at Mayo on August 17. He does anterior and does do two hips at the same time.
See how you feel about this surgeon. The most important factor is being able to work with your surgeon. But then you know all this!
I am afraid of spinals
I was more afraid of the spinal than my first THR. But honestly - it is a non-event. And SO much easier to recover from than GA. Perhaps ask for a sedative before the op.

It's all very daunting I know. But from everything I have heard here, recovery from THR is easier than from TKR. Find a surgeon who will address all your concerns and get those hips treated. You won't regret having this op.

@Jacey! A little bit of calm in the midst of my storm. Thanks!! I need to ask lots of questions!! I saw lots of ginormous scars in the scar viewing posts!! What possessed me to even look!!

I just feel cheated, I went through two TKA's my hips should be fine!!!

@skigirl Hugs and commiserations! As the happy owner of 4 replacement joints I sympathize with all you said about surgeries! And, yet, IMO, all you said is reason to do a bilateral hip replacement - one trip to the OR, one hospital stay (probably brief given COVID concerns) and one recuperation period.

When my surgeon blithely informed me that both hips were in really bad shape and said he would recommend doing both at once I was totally shocked! His reasoning include the one time deals I mentioned already plus he felt he'd be more likely to get both legs the same length doing both at once, I'd be able to return to a normal gait quicker, and there would be less chance of getting an infection. For me this worked very well and almost 10 years on I am still very pleased with the outcome.

Like you my home has steep stairs - and no bathroom on the top floor where my bedroom is. For the hip surgery I set up a recovery area in my front room - put a big sheet over the picture window for privacy and rented a hospital bed for a few months. While I could do stairs I sure did not want to do them! If you have the space to do something like this I recommend it.

As for big scars - I would bet the ones on your knees will be bigger and more noticeable than the hip ones - mine now are just thin white lines down the outside of my hips and hardly noticeable at all. My shoulder scars are much more unsightly. Not having had knee replacements I can't really compare the experience (other than what I've read about here) but I will say I found it not too onerous to go through. You can read my recovery story - link is in my signature.

Best of luck to you and do let us know what you decide.

I need to ask lots of questions!!
Of course you do - and we will try and answer every one! As always, we will be here for you no matter what route you decide is best for you.

My scars from posterior are barely noticeable, look like thin pink lines. Had no external stitches, just clear tape over it post-op.
My drive to the hospital was about 2 hrs, we went the night before and stayed at a motel. I spent the night at the hospital and the next day on the ride home we stopped for lunch. I enjoyed it so much I did it twice. Driving to go to the OS of choice was my decision. A couple of days was worth the rest of my life satisfied with my hips. And if you think you hate surgery I waited 32 years to have my first done.

in regards to scars.. mine are slim, white lines but will say that they are pretty noticeable- being anterior puts them right on view when wearing a swimsuit. I think it's not the scar actually but the indentation that formed around the incision line. Not a big deal to me, I enjoy boy shorts for swim bottoms anyway. But it has crossed my mind a few times that the posterior or lateral scrs may not have been as noticeable for me.

I LOVE my hips and I can do yoga and pilates, currently doing a good bit of circuit training and the only thing I've found difficult are the flutter kicks.. which again doens't make or break my day.

Good luck with your decision making. I remember that stage and it's horrible! Many of us were blindsided like that. :friends:

Yikes, I just looked around my house!! I can go downstairs---only 10 steps to the finished basement. There is a window in the bedroom and it has the only shower stall---so the only place that I can shower since I can not climb over a tub with sliding glass door. Upstairs is even worse, it is a jacuzzi tub and even wider!! Plus all of the toilets are low round ones!! I have been thinking to update them, but one at a time eeks!! not all at once. I cannot think of which one I would not do. Especiall since I need the basement bath room for a shower. We just moved to this house in January, was not thinking of surgery when i moved in!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom