THR baclectic's recovery thread<<

baclectic

Country
United States United States
Today is two weeks after my (anterior) hip replacement. I'm in the U.S. So wonder if they do this method in the U.K.

I thought I'd be almost back to normal by now with little pain. The PT who visits twice weekly says I'm doing better than most of his patients. I'm feeling frustrated. During the night, and upon wakening, I'm in a lot of pain. It gets more manageable as the day goes on. Am I expecting too much? I'm icing and doing stretching exercises every hour or so. Pain Meds help take the edge off, but don't get rid of all the pain. When will it stop hurting?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hello @baclectic, sounds like you're doing pretty good to me also. US &U.K. are very much like in methods. The recovery is different for individuals along the "guide line". I'm 8 wks out after THR and counting. we just "keep swimmimg, keep swimming" :walking: like Dora says.

Sounds like you were listening to what someone else said about their recovery. I did that too and oh my, did I learn fast that was not a good thing to do. Every single surgery is different and every single recovery is different. I don't think that having some pain two weeks after major surgery, no matter the approach, is to be unexpected. Sounds like you are doing fine. Hopefully you will get some sound advice from one of the experts on here soon!

@baclectic I moved your post into a thread for your own recovery posts as that's how we run things here. That way, we can discuss your situation in depth without derailing another member's thread.

I'm in the U.S. So wonder if they do this method in the U.K.
That's an interesting comment. Did you think this was a UK forum?
Today is two weeks after my (anterior) hip replacement
Two weeks is extremely early out so I would imagine you are doing far too much.
I'm icing and doing stretching exercises every hour or so.
And that's too much! I would give you this tip: hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Additionally I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. I see are you icing your hip but how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg, if so, how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of PT and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (how many sessions each day)
enter exercise then enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT (how many times a week)
enter exercise then enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

@baclectic Hi there, when was you surgery date? The above I totally agree with every hour seems extreme. Not giving yourself time to rest before exercising again. Follow the Bone Smart mantra and you will be much better than now and don't forget to ice, ice gel bags are your best friend. :ice::angel:

Looks like you have not received your reading list with the mantras Debbie referred to. Here it is. Please fire away with any questions. We are here to help!
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

My surgery was on Oct. 19 so I'm a little over 2 weeks.

A friend waltzed through a THR and looked normal after a week.

I was shocked to realize the amount of pain involved, my inability to do most anything, and the length of recovery.

Your website has been a godsend. I can't thank you enough.

1. Pain around 2-3

2. Percocet 10-325MG. I'm taking 2 pills every 4 hours.

3. I'm icing every hour or so, 20-30 minutes.

4. I elevate my legs when I remember to. Have a remote controlled bed so sleep at night with my legs elevated. Sometimes don't because it feels more comfortable not to.

5. My activity level is about a 1. I'm doing the bare essentials: taking care of myself, letting the dog out, feeding the dog and cat, watering a few plants, and doing an occasional load of laundry.

6. My PT comes twice a week. My "exercise" consists primarily of walking-forward, backward, and sideways. Standing on toes and slowly going up and down. Leg lifts in standing position. I try to move and do the above every hour or two. I'm not pushing myself. Just trying to prevent stiffness.

Hi @baclectic. I wonder if your PT has you doing too much. Just two weeks there is no way anyone would have me walking backwards, sideways or doing push ups with my toes. My word! that is not what you need to be doing. Rest my friend, that's what your body needs right now. I would think just the little you are doing plus potty runs, getting a meal, going from bed to a chair and back again. Actually You are doing more than I was at two weeks. I had trouble remembering to do what exercises they gave from the hospital. I just walked from living room to kitchen and back. I would announce to my daughter "I'm going for my walk". I did that till I felt ready to step outside, about two weeks. Don't compare your self to others this gets us in trouble.

@baclectic ah i did the same thing. Heard of amazing bounce backs of younger people (like me) who had THR and was so shocked at the reality even though my surgeon warned me.

Still glad i did it because it needed done but also still hating the severe limitations. Adjusting and doing what i have to in order to heal though. You do what you gotta do.

Take it easy and rest and heal.

@baclectic - don't compare and don't do any PT that hurts. In fact that PT routine sounds harsh to me. I'd read the recovery mantras which you've been given which recommend only walking, and that in moderation. It worked for me! Are you lying flat at night? I found resting semi-reclined with piles of pillows with a soft pillow under my knees worked best. I was stiff first thing and always called for ice as soon as I woke and then throughout the day. Keeping strictly to your meds schedule is also important so you don't fall behind and then have to play catch-up. It is actually early yet, but follow the mantras and things will improve gradually

A friend waltzed through a THR and looked normal after a week.
Well bouncing back after a week is certainly not the norm. And I would say the clue here is "looked normal". We all look normal post THR - especially if like me you get up and get dressed every morning. That does not mean we are healed or not taking pain meds.

Stick with the mantras and give your body a chance to heal. A short space of time for a lifetime without hip pain.

@baclectic I had the direct superior approach 11 days ago and as with the anterior approach there's a lot of hype about quick recovery. And I do have minimal pain and am walking with a normal gait on a walker, which is all good news. But, this is still going to be a long recovery.

My version of the "friend who looked normal" story were videos I found on YouTube, put up by a doctor promoting this approach, of his patients strolling down the hospital hallways 24 and 36 hours after surgery with no assistive devices, virtually no limp, and supposedly no pain meds. Uh huh. 48 hours after surgery I managed to walk about 100 feet from the PT room back to my room, using a walker, at about 80% weight bearing on the op leg, and with a PT assistant pushing my recliner behind me in case I got light headed--and I got lots of kudos for this feat. That's real. The big lesson I'm learning is how patient we need to be.

1. Pain around 2-3
okay
2. Percocet 10-325MG. I'm taking 2 pills every 4 hours.
Is that 8 times per 24hrs? Because at that rate you are taking too much acetaminophen (Tylenol). That's the 325. So if you are taking two at a time that's 650mg. Every four hours is 8 times a day. 8x650 is 5,200mg per 24hours. The safe maximum is 4,000mg per 24hrs. Please tell me again how many doses you are taking each 24hr period.
3. I'm icing every hour or so, 20-30 minutes.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20-30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
4. I elevate my legs when I remember to. Have a remote controlled bed so sleep at night with my legs elevated. Sometimes don't because it feels more comfortable not to.
Elevate when you ice!
5. My activity level is about a 1. I'm doing the bare essentials: taking care of myself, letting the dog out, feeding the dog and cat, watering a few plants, and doing an occasional load of laundry.
Where did you get the number 1 from? But that's a little too much at 2 weeks. I suggest you read this and adjust accordingly Activity progression for THRs
BTW, did you read the articles Jaycey left you?

My comments in bold
My PT comes twice a week.
walking-forward, backward, and sideways - a bit much for two weeks. This is would be better left to 6 weeks out
standing on toes and slowly going up and down - these are not good to do, causes pain in your calves and thighs
leg lifts in standing position - same here
I try to move and do the above every hour or two. I'm not pushing myself. - oh but you are pushing yourself! All you need to do is go to bathroom and kitchen as necessary. Otherwise REST!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

My version of the "friend who looked normal" story were videos I found on YouTube, put up by a doctor promoting this approach
We've actually had a couple on here. This one for example Jetlag's amazing DAA recovery

My surgery was on October 19. So it's been almost 4 weeks and I'm still in substantial pain, especially throughout the night. I wake up in terrible pain - then take Percocet and return to bed.

I thought the pain would be over at this point. Even sitting in a recliner is not comfortable for long. Walking feels better, as does lying down. Can anyone tell me when the pain will stop?? [emoji3]

I thought the pain would be over at this point.
Sorry but you have just had major surgery. Lots of "carpentry". At only a few days shy of one month out please reset your expectations.

Are you waiting until you are in pain to take your meds. That's counter productive. Take your meds as prescribed around the clock. You will only need to do this for a short time but not doing it may result in chronic pain issues. Still early days!

Also, have you read my post with your answers? The primary one was about doing exercises - are you still doing them?

Mostly just walking as needed. Spending most of the day lying in bed. Thank God I love to knit. Am making hat and booties for premature babies in the hospital.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom