Back to Work Today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharlander

I am 10 weeks post op yesterday and I returned to work today. I am working 2 days a week to start in the office. I will see my OS again on 9/12. I have a one hour commute to my work so it has taken a little longer to get back than for most people.

I will tell you one thing...I am absolutely exhausted. I have had some nerve irritation from my back which has caused numbness in my right (operated)thigh and my left leg goes numb if I stand longer than a couple minutes in one place. I'm only taking Tylenol now for discomfort, occasionally a half a Percocet at night, but that's it.

I am just so happy to be back at work! So now the question, would I do this again?? I will tell you this, when my left hip starts giving me problems I will walk, not run to have it done. I will NEVER wait as long as I did for this first one. I will be much more aggressive and just do it.

I will keep you posted as I continue to recover. This site has been a true blessing for me.

All my best, Debra

Good luck Debra.

I went back 3.5 post op but only from 8-2pm and I live 15 minutes from work. I was exhausted the first week but coping better this week as long as I go home and put my feet up and rest.

I have to remind myself to get up and walk around every hour and get help if I need to get files or folders from low cabinets or shelves. Other than that all seems fine.

Way to go, Debra! I'm proud of you!

Thanks Jaz. I never could have gone back to work at 3.5 weeks...heck I didn't start driving until almost 6 weeks out. Good for you that you know to ask for help. That's probably one of my biggest downfalls.

Josephine..I have no idea what I would have done these last few months were it not for your encouragement and kindness. You have no idea how much your words helped me to heal. You gave me permission to allow myself the time I needed, and to take my pain meds even when I thought I could try without them (bad idea).

I slept today until almost 9. I was exhausted last night. I go back tomorrow for round 2. I am glad I'm only working 2 days a week to start. That was one of the best decisions I've made.

BTW... in my original post I put that I would walk, not run to the OS when my left hip started to bother me... I guess I was tired..I meant I would run not walk, as I would never wait so long.

Thanks again for everything.

All my best, Debra

Thanks Jaz. I never could have gone back to work at 3.5 weeks...heck I didn't start driving until almost 6 weeks out. Good for you that you know to ask for help. That's probably one of my biggest downfalls.

My surgeon thought 3.5 weeks was fine as long as it wasn't full time. I told him I have to walk up 30 stairs to get to my office and he said 'that will be good exercise'.

Jaz, your surgeon sounds a lot like mine! When I asked him how long before I can crawl on my hands & knees, he told it was "great exercise! Yeah, DO it!" ;)

Joyce

Wow, it's amazing how different each OS is. I guess because I have some other serious problems mine was a bit more cautious. I have screws in my spine from two fusions and I have serious nerve irritation since my THR causing numbness from my buttock to my knee. I guess maybe this is part of the why things have been taken a little slower with me.

But good for you all that get going quickly.

I must say that the last two weeks I've really seemed to turn the corner. I'm not limping much anymore and don't use my cane often. I'm sleeping much better, and overall getting my energy back. I knew it would come, but my patience was tested.

I still get some pain in my thigh, but my doc said it would take quite some time for that to go away completely.

Good luck to you all! Deb

Deb, we all have individual needs, so our recoveries are individual, too.
I'm impressed at how well you are doing, especially given all your medical issues. Way to go!

Joyce

Hi,

Just got back from Dr. 3.5 weeks post op from TRHR. Got my driving privileges back and can ease back into the elliptical at the gym. Am doing great with walking, only use cane for long walks outside. Dr. is lifting hip restrictions as of one month.

I am returning to work on Oct 20, 8 wks out from surgery. Had planned to return earlier due to good recovery and Dr. would have approved at 6 wks but didn't advise it (said pts are usually out from 2-3 months) so went with later date.

Wonder what is typical for folks on this site to return to work and your comments. I am somewhat of a workaholic (though admit I am enjoying slowing down for a bit during this great weather) and feel a bit like a slug waiting so long even though I have the sick time. On the other hand it is kind of nice to have the extra two weeks of down time.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,
Everyone heals at different rates with different needs. I have a one hour commute to my work so my doctor has been getting me back to work slowly. I started back on 8/26 (surgery on 6/16) working 2 days a week. I will start 3 days next week for a couple weeks and see how it goes. I plan to be back full time by the first week in October.

The one think you might find is that you are really tired. That's my biggest problem, stamina. But it gets better every week. I think this whole weight bearing joint thing is huge.

Good luck, and remember to rest when you are home. Don't plan on working overtime right away.

Take care, Debra

A good standard for return to work for a hip is 10-12 weeks if you can manage it. I know some firms are a bit sticky about their employees being off that long and it's tough when you need the money but it's a good rule of thumb to go by.

Thanks Debra and Josephine, I appreciate your validation that 8 weeks is a reasonable time out to heal. I was a bit taken aback by my Dr's firmness about the 2-3 month time out of work as on most other limitations he has been very open to getting back to normal activities asap (such as hip restrictions, gym, driving) so I did pay attention even though given my great recovery so far seems I would be ok by 6 weeks. I hear you though on the stamina. My job is mostly administrative/office. However, it does require many out of office meetings, travel to Trenton (NJ capital about an hour away) and evenings on occasion. So, am just as happy that I will have the 8 weeks out. More time to enjoy the fall and exercise. Also, I am still having a hard time getting comfortable to sleep so hopefully that will resolve itself over the next couple weeks.
This is a great forum for support. Thanks again!!
Laurie

Jo, With each of my knee replacements, I took 8 weeks off and then jumped in head first with my 13 hour work day full time, each time. I've been told by many, including you, that hip replacements are easier. If I did just fine with 8 weeks off for knees, would it be safe to say that I would need only 8 weeks or even less off of work for the hip?

I've been off on medical leave about 6 months of the last 18 so you can see where I'm heading here. Luckily I work for the government so my job is secure and pays all medical leave......but..... Karen

Karen, I would only caution you in that things never go the same or as expected, so don't count on anything to go in a way that fits what happened in the past. At least have contingency plans just in case, which is also good for the head should bumps in the road occur this time.

Oh I know all about things not going as expected after 12 surgeries. My knee recoveries couldn't have been more different! I'm a veteran at overcoming the unthinkable...... Trust me on that! Karen

Jo, With each of my knee replacements, I took 8 weeks off and then jumped in head first with my 13 hour work day full time, each time. I've been told by many, including you, that hip replacements are easier. If I did just fine with 8 weeks off for knees, would it be safe to say that I would need only 8 weeks or even less off of work for the hip?

I would - unexpected events being taken into consideration, of course ...

One of the many things I've learned on this site is that everyone heals differently. Age, extent of initial damage, surgery types, etc., all play into the recovery period.

My surgeon told me right from the beginning that I would be out of work 8-12 weeks. Had it been 12 weeks, I would not have returned until last week, and then it would have been full time. I am so happy that my employer let me come back part time initially. They were just so happy to have me back. Building my stamina has been vital. I am so tired out still. My blood count is still below normal, so that's contributing to the fatigue.

All I can say is listen to your body. If you are still having trouble sleeping try taking a smaller dose of your pain medicine at bedtime...just enough to help you sleep. I take 1/2 of a 5/325 Percocet, and sometimes a quarter of it. I am very uncomfortable at night after a long day, and it is just enough to take the edge off without making me nauseous. Sleep is extremely important to healing.

So, I guess the point is, everyone heals differently. Listen to your body, and listen to your doctor. Take all the time you can (or afford), and let your body do the healing.

Good luck, Debra

I had my surgery (7/9/08) scheduled so that I could go back to school on time in September (traveling SpEd teacher).

Am I tired? Heck, yeah! But I'm always tired @ the beginning of the year. The great thing is, I DON'T HURT ANYMORE! I'm still using my cane, especially @ school (1000+ kids, stairs, back & forth between A-wing, B-wing & 3 floors, 5-15? lbs. in backpack, you do the math!). I'm awake now (Sat. am), but I was in & out of sleep from the time I came home yesterday until about 7 this am. But that's actually pretty typical for me this time of year. Keep in mind that my surgery was almost 10 weeks ago. It's the lack of pain that is the best part. People @ school have noticed it in my face.

I have 3 more PT sessions next week before Aetna declares me "cured" (60 consecutive days). Other than my left leg is still weak - stability & balance stink! - I feel about ready to move on.

I have learned that if someone wants to do something nice for me (open a door, take groceries to the car, carry books), I say "thank you" & let them do it!

Well, my washer just finished. Gotta get up. I'm sitting in bed writing this, lest you think I'm not resting!

Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads