TKR Back of knee pain

Nan7560

Country
United States United States
I’m 2 1/2 weeks post left tkr.I feel pretty good. Off all meds and walking without assistance. Doing PT twice a week. On off days my routine is exercise/ice/elevate twice a day. My question is I don’t seem to be progressing any further. Am I just expecting too much too fast?

Hi and Welcome!

This is a long and slow recovery, as long as an average of a full year for complete healing, so unfortunately, yes you are expecting too much, too soon.

Doing PT twice a week. On off days my routine is exercise/ice/elevate twice a day.
Doing too much, too soon, can have the opposite effect, and maintain pain and swelling. Doing the exercises once a day is plenty, and it‘s a good idea to spread them out throughout the day, rather than do the whole list all at once.

If you have a lot of swelling, you can ice more than twice a day, and Bonesmart recommends 45-60 minutes at a time. Just be sure to have a cloth between your skin and the cold source.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Please also tell us your surgery date, and we’ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us!

My question is I don’t seem to be progressing any further. Am I just expecting too much too fast?
You mentioned you are feeling good, you're off all meds and walking without assistance. It seems you're doing really well! As far as progress, check out the Activity Progression for TKRs which can be used as a rough gauge. I liked the Activity Progression because I felt it kept me active enough, without overdoing it and stalling my recovery. Take it slow and enjoy the week, it is still early days.
All the best as you continue the journey! :walking:

Thank you for the info!
A peaceful evening to you, Nan!
@Nan7560

Hi @Nan7560 !
You've done the best possible thing for knee replacement recovery by joining Bonesmart.
The members and staff will provide you with all the info that you don't get from doctors or physical therapists.
I don't know what I would have done without thus forum!
I had my second tkr the day before you.

3 weeks out and I have been doing well. My knee still feels like a rubber band that has been stretched to the limit but I’m walking, exercising and sleeping ok. Just yesterday for the first time the back of my knee started hurting. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello Nan,
Three weeks is still very early days into a recovery that lasts a full year for most and even longer for many. I'd scale back on the exercises and see if rest, icing and elevation helps. At this point the activities of daily living along with the walking you mentioned, but not to excess, should be enough.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I hope you have a great week!
@Nan7560

Hi Nan. I’m just up to 5 weeks post op now. About a week ago the area behind my knee started hurting more. There had always been some pain there since the op, but it seems to be getting worse now. I do the exercises at home that the physio gave me and have had a couple of physio appointments but no-one has pushed me too hard. I was hoping to ask her today what might be causing it, but my appointment was cancelled. Any ideas anyone?

I also developed pain at the back of my knee, probably four weeks in. It was a dull ache, not excruciating. I'm at eight weeks now and it's gone. I do get random aches and pains that come and go from my knee area. I no longer am fixated on each and every ache and pain. They seem to resolve on their own.

I developed a pretty persistent pain in the back of my knee that at least in my case, was due to keeping my leg on a flat surface all the time with the knee joint straight, and even with an air gap under the knee to keep it as straight as possible, as I had been instructed after my first surgery, the TKR. Many people see this as an old-fashioned practice.

If you've been doing this, or have over-done your knee-extension exercises, that may be a possible explanation.

I hope you had a good week, Nan. I am wishing you an even better upcoming week.
Happy One Month Anniversary! :wave:
@Nan7560

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing Nan? We haven't heard from you in awhile. Hopefully the back of your knee is feeling better.
Please leave an update next time you're around. We'd really like to hear how you're doing.
Until then...all the best!
@Nan7560

I have been sick for 3 weeks and unable to do my exercises. I now have pain in my kneecap and upon standing. Where do I go from here? I am 3 1/2 months PO. Thanks!

Hi Nan,
I am sorry you've been ill. I hope you're feeling better. Try going back to icing and OTC pain relief if necessary. I wouldn't be concerned with exercises right now. Hopefully you will get enough exercise through the activities of daily living and short easy walks, taking it slow, then gradually increasing time / distance. With any luck the pain eases soon.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@Nan7560

Take it easy. There have been some filthy bugs going round recently and a lot of people I know have been pretty floored.
I have had a lot of viruses since my surgery- not helped by living with a 22 month old petri dish!
Just go steady and gradually reintroduce your exercises.
I am still icing at 6 months and find it helpful.

I’m 2 1/2 weeks post left tkr.I feel pretty good. Off all meds and walking without assistance. Doing PT twice a week. On off days my routine is exercise/ice/elevate twice a day. My question is I don’t seem to be progressing any further. Am I just expecting too much too fast?
Yes!! At 2 1/2 weeks you’re doing awesomely! And you may actually have a little setback along the way. Don’t worry!

@Nan7560 You and I are about the same timeframe for our TKRs. I too had a two week "set back". My cataract surgeon sidelined me. No exercising, no golf, no treadmills. I walked a bit but not much. Monday I played golf for the first time since my TKR. Yesterday the knee was sore, a bit swollen. Ice and elevation a few times yesterday, also before sleep (haven't had todo that for about a week). Today i can still feel it on the top of my kneecap. More ice today :) maybe a gummy. I see the eye doc for the go ahead for my other cataract surgery this morning. Could be two more weeks in isolation again :-(. They keep telling me, "it's a marathon".

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back