Reverse Shoulder Replacement Back again

Carcon

Country
United States United States
Hi!
I was in the rotator cuff repair forum preop through recovery/ discharge in October, 2019. Now I’m looking at TSR on the other side in January. In addition to a full thickness rotator cuff tear I also have a bicep rupture at the long head.
My question involves a new and strange sensation in my bicep. The muscle randomly started to rapidly contact/pulsate. I put my hand on the area and could feel the movement! It wasn’t painful and only lasted maybe 30 seconds. There is no residual soreness.
What’s going on? Do I need to contact my doctor?

@Carcon
Welcome back to BoneSmart, sorry you are facing another surgery.

Sounds like you may be having fasciculations, similar to what happens when you eyelid twiches.
I would call your Doctor, they may be able to give you some strategies to reduce the frequency of this happening.

They can be caused by magnesium deficiency or certain drugs.
Here is some information from Healthline.

Do you have a surgery date? Please let us know so we can add it to your signature.

IMO Your fasciculations may be caused by the end of the detached bicep, trying to figure out where it is.

@Jamie has a detached bicep, she may be able to comment.

I expect to get my surgery date when I see the doctor Oct 28. I’m going to try to get a date as early in Jan as possible.
I’ll email the office about the twitching.
Thanks

Doc said not to worry about the bicep twitching thing.

I had my bicep released at the long head when I had my rotator cuff surgery (bicep was pretty severely torn). I didn't have the twitching you're talking about but I think the bicep was causing more pain than the rotator cuff.

I do have a "uniceps" muscle in my left arm now :heehee: after a really exuberant radiology tech gave my arm a good shove during a mamogram not long after my shoulder was replaced. My biceps tendons were thin anyway and she just sent that one over the edge.

I've never experienced any twitching like you described, though. Prior to my shoulder replacement (a standard replacement since my rotator cuff muscles were fine), my shoulder pain was almost completely in the biceps area. The joint itself didn't hurt much at all and I didn't have the trouble lying on my side and sleeping that a lot of people get. The biceps pain continued to some degree for almost a year after the shoulder was replaced and then it just stopped.

My surgeon told me that my arm would function just fine with part of the biceps detached and that they didn't go in and make repairs like that. He was correct. I'm now 3 years out from surgery and my shoulder is just fine.

I suspect with your rotator cuff damage you may be receiving a reverse shoulder replacement.

From what I’ve read I think the reverse replacement is in my future, too. I’m anxious to move forward with whatever I need. A couple of months ago my doctor told me that most people are driven to surgery when they’re tired of not feeling well and not being able to do the things they want and need to do. That’s where I am! However, those post op scar pics are pretty scary

@Carcon Yes the shoulder scars are rather more unsightly than say hip replacement scars but being able to use the shoulders normally without pain sure makes the scars (for me any way) a non issue. Having had both shoulder joints replaced I will say the scars hide nicely behind short sleeved shirts :heehee: Plus the ones on the scar thread are mostly new scars - when I can I'll post mine now so you can see what 8yo and 4yo scars look like. They are not too hideous IMO.

What was scary was how long the incision is! Guess I hadn’t really thought about the fact that it wouldn’t be an arthroscopic procedure!. I too will wear my scar with pride when I no longer have to think about everything through the lens of my shoulder!

@Carcon My surgeons explained that since the shoulder is rather a small joint with many parts that must be very carefully attended to ( arteries, veins, nerves, etc) the incision has to be larger than one would expect. Plus they need room to take out the bad parts and put in the new implants. So not like arthroscopic surgery at all.

My surgery is tentatively scheduled for Jan 7. I feel better just knowing there is plan to end this.

@Carcon,
Glad you finally have a surgery date, are you having a Standard Shoulder Replacement or a Reverse Shoulder Replacement? Which shoulder had the rotator cuff repair, and which shoulder is have a shoulder replacement so we can note that in your signature.
Thanks!
Chris

I’m having a reverse replacement on my non-dominant left side. The rotator cuff repair was on the right. I’m interested in the comparative experience in the recovery process. My doctor has told me the sling is about a month and that I can probably do PT at home. Any day to day/functional issues different?

@Carcon I don't know what kind of sling you had with the rotator cuff repair but the ones I had for my standard shoulder replacements were big padded bolster type slings that kept the shoulder in a specific position ... they were not really uncomfortable just bulky and a bit of a nuisance. I was allowed to take them off for showering once that was allowed, for getting dressed and undressed, and to do the gentle arm swinging exercises I was given in the hospital.

I was given the sling by my surgeon prior to the OR date and was told to bring it with me to the hospital.

I have a friend who had a reverse replacement and his sling was just like the one I had. Since the replacement is for your non-dominate side you'll probably find it easier to manage day to day than the previous surgery.

I still have my sling. It has the abduction pillow that I was told to stop using after the first couple of weeks last time. I’m thinking day to day may be easier since I can use my dominant side.
I’ve heard that rsr pain isn’t as bad as the rotator cuff repair. What’s your experience?

My tentative surgery date is now on hold! The hospital where it is to be done has suspended scheduling inpatient joint replacement surgeries. It’s understandable but still frustrating.

So sorry your date is on hold. But who knows what will happen between now and January. Fingers crossed things ease so your surgery can proceed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom