TKR Back Again Right Knee

campcol1

Country
United States United States
Back again. LTKR Dec. 10,2020. Surgery was yesterday May 11, RTKR ambulatory. A little tired today, a little more swelling and pain. A lot more ice and rest. So, 61 both hips replaced and now both knees. Hoping this knee recovery is better than the last. Left knee was a brutal journey. It took a full year before knee felt normal. Love it now. Will keep all posted.

Back again. LTKR Dec. 10,2020. Surgery was yesterday May 11, RTKR ambulatory. Hoping this knee recovery is better than the last. Left knee was a brutal journey.
Good Luck, wishing a great recovery. My second knee is 5 weeks and Brutal.

@campcol1 Welcome to recovery for the second time!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

1st sleepless night. Operated yesterday and came home same day. I had a great night's sleep. Of course, knee was still numb. And yes, I knew it wouldn't last as here I am typing away. Bruising and swelling has reared its ugly head. Night 2 is very different than night one. I am grateful for the support of friends and knowing that less is more for now. Goodnight my fellow knee.buddies.

@campcol1 Welcome back to the other side! Get that ice and elevation going. The bruising will ease as will the swelling. The first days out are tough - but as you know things improve with time and patience.

Hope you are resting comfortably!

Hope you’re doing okay this afternoon. Like you, I‘ve had all four replaced. Ice, elevate...

Marie

Thank you. A little better than last night. Icing and channel surfing. Day 3 and definitely swollen.

5 days post op. Swelling has decreased. I ambulate without assistance. Mostly stiff legged but practicing proper gait. This leg is very very different than the first. It's approximately 16 months since LTKR. (Also had to go back in for additional surgery 2 mths later - synovectomy).This leg has less swelling, less bruising, staples rather than glue, a knee drain which comes out Wednesday. This was a virgin knee. The left had 6 or 7 prior surgeries., I am also following a very different PT. I practice thigh tightening, butt tightening, seated slides and allowing my leg to hang with heel on pillow off of coffee table.. I do this maybe twice a day. I am glued to the couch except when I get up for food, bathroom etc. I have thigh pain, medial knee pain, tightness feeling. I have pain when getting up from seated position above knee cap area. I have not and will not attempt steps yet. I found that I love ice. Outpatient PT starts 5/23. For me, the less is more approach seems to be working. Two different knees, two different recoveries. Having experienced a very difficult recovery on the left knee, by the one year mark I was grateful for the surgery. I am hopeful for my right knee. Fingers crossed.

You’ll do fine with a gentler approach.
I don't think you will be disappointed. It is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through painful PT, or the BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers, and you have chosen the meadow! :flwrysmile:

Day 15, first real PT. My previous were online. The last week has been abnormally good. My biggest complaint is the swelling and tightness. This is a completely different recovery from my LTKR. I don't know why. It's not related to any super powers that I have. Yes, I ice at least 4 times a day for an hour at a clip. Yes I am resting but I am up and walking unassisted throughout the day. (From day 2). I heel toe my steps. I am doing my thigh tightening , heel slides, bike ( no resistance), leg lifts - all in moderation sporadically throughout the day. No squatting, steps and must hold on to get up from seated.position. PT was great. I definitely have swelling in knee and thigh area but my flexion is easily 120 and extension 95( would be more except swelling. Therapist said I looked like 4-5 week post op. She was very gentle and no training exercises at all. I plan on going for 8 more sessions. Insurance wont pay anymore and I dont think Ill need it.. This was a virgen knee. Not even a cortisone shot. As soon as it posed a problem, I got it replaced. I have no answer why I am being blessed with this recovery. I am following bonesmart's advice regarding icing, resting and PT because I believe it is the best way to go but this is bigger than me or you. I really just want to point out that sometimes recovery can be a nightmare as my LTKR and sometimes it can be great like my RTKR. Each replacements recovery is unique.

I really just want to point out that sometimes recovery can be a nightmare as my LTKR and sometimes it can be great like my RTKR. Each replacements recovery is unique.
This is so true, even on the same person. I think you deserve a better recovery this time around after the last one! Best wishes!

6 week update on RTKR. I saw my surgeon Friday at 5.5 weeks. He did both my hips and left knee. This journey started October 2020. As stated left knee was a nightmare. Arthroscopic surgery 2 mths layer to remove scar tissue. Eventually around a year, it finally worked like normal. Just had my 6 week follow up on my right knee ee replaced 5/11/22. He cleared me. His remark was let your knee be your guide. I asked why is this recovery so much better than the left. His answer was that he has operated on thousands of knees and could not predict why one takes a year and another 6 weeks. Enjoy your new knee. I have full extension and flexion. I have gently started to go up and down stairs. I followed bonesmart's recommended icing and elevation. I also did not push this knee at all. So I guess the moral of the story is every knee is different.

I guess the moral of the story is every knee is different.
Yes, every knee IS different -- even on the same person! So glad to read how well this recovery is going for you.
:flwrysmile:

Question? I am approximately 8 weeks following rtkr. Doctor cleared me as exrays are good, full flexion and extension. Pt is finished. Swelling is down considerably except when I overuse it ( which I have to talk myself outof). I have sharp pain in the middle of kneecap when I go down stairs, or getting up from seated position. Sometimes when I get up from seated position, it feels as if a tendon, muscle, or ligament is crossing over the kneecap as if it was caught. It feels or sounds loud when it happens almost like a pop. No damage but concerned. Doesn't happen constantly. The area is where quad tendon attaches to kneecap. Could this be due to swelling of kneecap area? I know I am extremely lucky with this knee. I also know I am still in the very beginnings of healing despite my easy recovery. Has anyone else experienced the tendon catching (if that is what it is)? Also kneecap pain when doing stairs or getting up from seated position? Tks.

I sometimes feel this when I am “cold” before getting up from sitting I usually have to extend & bend my leg gently to “warm up”this area after sitting awhile. This is the tightest area I feel too. I also get the feeling on the first few steps up stairs behind my knee on the lateral posterior side (I also had rtkr). It is the hamstring tendon and feels like it’s being “plucked” like a guitar string. Once this is warmed up it doesn’t happen either. So... I just try to remember to slow down and get a few bends in as it doesn’t hurt just a little weird feeling.

What a great description, plucked "like a guitar string". Yes, it tends to occur from a resting state, usually laying on the couch and quickly getting up. Hope it goes away. Thank you!

There are many little odds and ends of the soft tissue healing like this that simply resolve with time. I had something similar with the back of my knee when I moved certain ways, but it just went away after a while. You might just take it a bit more carefully on "start up."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom