TKR Back again in 2021 ☺

Saturday and Sunday I had 3x1000mg paracetamol only and no Nefpam. Did not sleep well, but was not in pain. So far so good ☺ Stairs now fine and have added in 1min with set of bike pedals (gently, of course). Swelling seems to be improving a bit. Have final PT session on Wednesday so will see how ROM measures. I only booked x4 PT sessions this time, 2 of which were hydro and my PT lady has gentle approach. Managed to add in a small woodland slope both up and down on dog walk yesterday, so now doing over one-third of my usual route. So far, so good.

Mostly great news. What's keeping you up, if not pain?

I've been futzing around with my pain meds, too - trying to see if I really need them in the daytime as I extend my walks. I definitely still need them at night. I'll post in my thread. I also wanted to see if I could rock the pedals on the bike. Yesterday's walk was enough for one day, I actually made it far enough into the park to sit for a bit.

Its weird, i dont know what is stopping me from sleeping. I lie down and ping, i am wide awake. I think that I am not physically tired enough to sleep. It should resolve in time when I am able to do more, but it is frustrating now. Am going to try listening to an audio book tonight☺. Still fine with 1000mg paracetamol x3 daily only. @hawk2go , well done with the park walk.☺

For the last few days I have been slowly increasing my morning dog walk route. Today I added in an uphill woodland path and a downhill one as well. My knee managed really well and i have settled with taking 3x1000mg paracetamol daily (7am, 3pm and 10pm). Knee is definitely swelling less than it was doing, but still swollen compared to my left TKR, which did not swell much at all when no had that done. On the other hand I have had hardly any skin and scar sensitivity this time, and that drove me crazy last time. Swings and roundabouts I guess. My final PT session is tomorrow (i have had only 4 and 2 of those were hydro). Last night i slept a bit better - Hurrah!!

Had my final PT assessment which went very well. She said my flexion was110 without assistance and my extension was 0. Very pleased!! She said the dog walking on a woodland surface was a really good knee workout, but to take great care when it rains. Sensible. I have had quite strong Achilles tendon pain on my operated leg (my Achilles was stitch repaired about 20 years ago) which she felt was probably because I am now using my knee properly. She gave me some stretch exercises for it. Looking forward to seeing my consultant on 29th October as i think I am ready to drive as soon as he clears me to do so.

@dogwalker2 are you doing your walks with your dog? Or just going by yourself first? I haven't tried that yet but I'm not up to walking the distance I'd usually go with my dog. Just curious....

Hi @Susie-Q yes i take both of them with me. They are cavalier king Charles spaniels, so only about 10kg each and neither of them pull much on their leads. Not always easy to manage 2 leads and a stick, but we manage! They are as happy with a relatively short walk as they are with a long hike, so we do about a 20-25min walk at the moment. It really has helped.

Just taking the dogs for a walk, even a short one was a huge boost to my mental health during recovery. Those little things that let you know how much is out there waiting for you without that grinding daily pain. Happy healing @dogwalker2!

Having smaller dogs must be nice! My lab is over 70lbs so I'm not sure I'm ready yet, mainly because I can't walk far enough to give her a good workout.

@dogwalker2 - I was up to 1 mile in the park before PT last week. I comfortably walked about 75% of that yesterday. I'll go back out today since I'm skipping PT.

Wow, you're doing great! You are definitely ahead of me in the walking department. I've got to work on that as my poor dog needs her daily walk and the rest of the family drags their feet.

I must measure how far i walk, will see if there is can app for it! Have started very gentle scar massage today as all scabs have now gone but need to buy a new bottle of bio-oil. Spent 2 hours last night looking at a 6th firm college with my daughter. Lots of walking, standing and stairs. Knee coped well but iced for an hour when I got home.

Things still going well but I definitely gave more swelling with this knee - it never goes completely. Am seeing my OS next Friday so will see what he says. Hopefully I will be given the ok to drive. I expect the swelling will go in time and am looking forward to no longer having to wear these postop support socks!!! aT his tkr has been much easier in terms of lower pain and better ROM but worse with swelling. Are well, they say every knee is different.

will see if there is can app for it
There is an app for almost everything. lol. I use a native health app on my Samsung phone, free (your phone may have one). I've tried the fitbit/watches but got out of the habit during pandemic. The app just counts my steps whenever I'm moving and I usually tuck my phone in a pocket when I leave the house (keys, phone, mask), so I get automatic counting and geo-tracking.

looking forward to no longer having to wear these postop support socks!!
I had thigh high support hose, would have much preferred the socks because I spent most of the time adjusting the hose as they rolled down my leg. With that said, the hose helped with swelling.

I expect the swelling will go in time and am looking forward to no longer having to wear these postop support socks!!!
I had to wear the thigh-high ones last time 24 hrs a day (except for showering or washing them) and hated that they would roll down and I'd have to keep adjusting them. With this knee it was the knee-high stockings which were much better plus I could take them off at night. Both times it was for about 2 weeks, if I recall right....

I have an Apple Watch so it's always keeping track of steps, workouts, stairs, etc and ties in with my iPhone. I had a Fitbit before that but this way is much easier to use.

Due to go see my OP on Friday. All has been going well and i have been off all pain meds for a while. However tonight my knee is doing shooting pains, has gone quite red and is quite hot. It always is hotter than the other one, but I haven't had pain for a good few weeks, especially when I am just sitting down. Good job I am seeing OP on Friday. Probably just me overdoing things - but it is unusual. Wonder what makes the skin go red?

Good luck. I reduced my pain meds but when I have pain or heat, I go back to the original levels (like today - today I'll need higher doses because I overdid it).

Thanks @hawk2go and @Susie-Q and all reading this!! Appointment with OP went very well. Flexion he estimates 130 and extension +1. We were both pleased. He reminded me to continue with some extension exercises but to go ahead and live life!! Both knees have the same kit and both look excellent on xray. Can ditch the postop socks (hurrah)! Am now also cleared to drive. Swelling and redness can be expected to disappear with time. Reminder not to overdo it too much (as if i would). I still get very tired and i do have some pain every now and then, but will rest, ice and take paracetamol when it strikes. Feeling upbeat tonight ☺☺

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks