TKR Back again in 2021 ☺

Interesting the different techniques for wound closure in different places… here in Oregon, at least in our surgicenter, they put on a completely covered area of steri strips (so twenty or thirty down my 8” scar) under a foam honeycomb dressing, all topped with a sheer, clear adhesive plastic wrap. The foam dressing and plastic wrap/adhesive are to be removed at two weeks, then a week later removing the steri strips is okay, though some fall off before the 3-week mark. I agree that not having those on there would be a bit nerve-wracking!

I hope your restless leg issue will fade quickly,@dogwalker2!

Agree with all who advised adding the stern strips! My doc had them put on the length of the incision and said leave them on till they fall off, which I did. I don’t think you have anything to worry about with bending the knee. Just be gentle, as is the BoneSmart way anyhow :heehee:

I am also following you as my surgery was sept 8th. At the mayo clinic where I had my surgery done they use a durabound strip over the entire incision. After my ltkr in 2017 it finally came off at 6 weeks is I inched it off a little at a time. They said again this time at 3 weeks it can come off but will again only coax it off cutting off pieces as it loosens. I am finally now getting sleep with aids of tramodal and hydromorphone at night With the Tylenol I take every 6 hours. I am finding this rest is really making the healing process much better And swelling. I am doing their simple recommended exercises 2 times a day and walking In the house at 5 minute spurts which I set a timer for. I try to do a little more daily living activities everyday. I ice after every activity. My night time pain still ramps up at night more so than during the day. I would say my rom is around 85 to 90 still

Thank you @BBCG, @Sisterpat and @Virginia123, knee much better today now the staples are out and since adding the steri strips I have not had the fiery burning pain down the scar when I bend my knee. Prepared a simple dinner and hung out the washing today which felt like a real triumph!! Rest of the time was rest and ice.

Yay! It sounds like you made your new baby knee happy today! I hope you have an easier and less pained night tonight!

Can't get over how much better my knee feels now the staples are out and some steri strips on. So much easier to move!! I can actually see the start of a knee-shape on the sides now as well and the bruising has gone too. Today is Day 16 postop (if you count op day as day 1) and am feeling much more like my usual self.

Oh good, Dogwalker2! Sounds like you got some useful rest!

And lots of folks who have had staples in their leg DO say how much better it is once they’re out… where I am, there supposedly are dissolving stitches used with steri strips all underneath a foam-type dressing that has lots of holes in it, all covered by a thin plastic “tape” (for lack of a better description), and no staples. Nothing is as rigid as staples must be, so such early resistance and discomfort is absent. But, that being said, it still feels mighty good when one’s knee is again visible!

The hardest thing at the moment is sleep. Managed 12 to 1.30am have been awake till 3am and now about to try and sleep again. I struggle so much to sleep on my back with raised legs. I get restless legs and heartburn. Driving me quite mad!! I am a natural side sleeper. Expect to sleep now until 6am when it will be time to get up. Grrrrr......

I started sleeping on my side coming up to three weeks with bilateral, using two small cushions to manoeuvre my legs into comfortable positions. It didn’t do me any harm, the longer periods of sleep did me a lot of good though. Still didn’t sleep right through for weeks and weeks. I would sleep however you are most comfortable.

Had an excellent hydrotherapy session yesterday. All very gentle with a very experienced physio. She said my ROM was excellent for Day 17. Her advice was to sleep however I felt comfortable and that sleeping was more important than position as long as I continued with gentle stretching and bending. She reminded me to mix up my day more (sitting with elevated leg, icing leg, ADLs, walking and gentle stretch and bending). Slept from 12 till 6.30, waking only briefly at 1.30 for bathroom and at 3.30 to let out my older dog who also needed the bathroom!! Great to have a better night's sleep ☺

Yes, sleep, however you can get it, is the answer. That's when we do our healing is during sleep....

I so agree! Had another good night, but knee a bit painful this morning and a bit swollen, but I suppose that is to be expected.

@dogwalker2 we had our first surgery in the same year 2019, so following your progress with interest, I too am having my right knee done in November, so was wondering how you managed with having to get around, was it easy to use the crutches, I got so used to leaning on my right now I need to start learning how to do it on the left side. How is your left knee holding up, do you feel any pain at all from now making it the dominant knee?
Although I feel better prepared and know what to expect its still quite daunting as the memory of the after pain is very vague haha.
I can totally relate to the snoring, thankfully my husband will move into the spare room as soon as I come home from the hospital- bliss that gives me and my daschund plenty of room and I can read/watch movies, chat on BoneSmart I even bought some wireless headphones so I don't disturb anyone this time round. Just praying that my room mate in the hospital is not a snorer....last time it was 3 days of no sleep and the beds were too far apart go whack her with my crutch - lol we became good friends after:heehee:
Wishing you continued success xx

What others have said was true for me. I was 13yo when my Mom broke her ankle in several places. I had 2 older brothers and we all stepped up to care for her and the house so she could rest.

@Susie-Q I totally agree re sleep. I am now starting off on my side with knee on a long pillow but usually change to lying on my back with leg up on pillow around 2.30am or so. Happy to report that i am now sleeping much better. Managed 12.30 to 06.30 straight last night !!

@Sara61 I am happy to say that my left knee has stepped up to being the dominant knee really well. No problem with crutches or with two sticks. This is great as I was worried about that too . The hardest thing is, having gone down to one stick around the house, I keep putting it in the wrong hand!!! My brain is programmed to protect the left knee and it is a conscious effort to change!! I too forgot how much pain comes with the first 2 weeksbut it has been so much easier this time as I had done it before. I have been much more relaxed - the only downside being that I am trying to do too much. Today I am going to take the dogs out for a 10min walk, so will see how that goes. Hubby back at work today so will be on my own for the first time since surgery. Here is a picture of my "nurse" dog and my "guard" dog.

Attachments

• 16333326951351296215484.jpg
    16333326951351296215484.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 109
  • 16333328620551232107965.jpg
    16333328620551232107965.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
@hawk2go one really good thing is that it has stopped me being a helicopter mum - and behold my daughter can manage to organise her homework schedule without me!! Hopefully, lesson learned

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back