Awaiting RTHR 23/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Jaycey and @Josephine. In my case there wasn't anyone next to my head when I woke and despite telling them that I was awake, nobody said anything in English to me so I wasn't sure what they were doing, if anything. I remember shouting 'Put me out' and it seemed to take a few minutes before I was sedated again. It is difficult to forget an incident like that, but on the law of averages, I am praying that it would not happen to me again. I will definitely discuss that with the Anaesthetist on the day. I don't want to frighten anyone else pre-op but that experience is definitely a major factor in my anxiety.

that experience is definitely a major factor in my anxiety.
Of course it is! And I was as anxious as you are because I did not want to have it again. But the anaesthetist was very understanding. I am sure they have seen it all. Just knowing he was going to watch for this and keep me out was so very reassuring.

Hi Delphi.
Just a quick word to wish you the best for next week. Nerves are totally normal and we've all had them to some degree. You'll be in the safe hands of professionals who've done this many times.
I'll be waiting to see your posts in post-op section soon.
The 24th will be the start of your journey to a pain free life.
Keep well.
Joe........

Hi Joe. How nice of you to wish me luck for the op. I'm trying to blitz the house today as I guess it won't be getting much attention for a while! I've got loads of things still to do so that's a pretty good distraction from the main event this week. Think I could feed hundreds with the amount of cooking I've done...!
Hope things are going well for you too. Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

@Delphi my first THR 8 years ago, I made the comment to the anesthesiologist that "I would love to see what has caused me such horrible pain for so long". Well, he woke me up and they showed me the femor and ball all bloody and said to me, "it looks like a dog chewed on your bone". I immediately went back to sleep. We all joked about this experience while I was in the hospital and I even thought how cool it was. The team asked me what it was like and what I saw, heard etc. Well, fast forward 6-7 years when my left hip showed definite signs of THR. Then it wasn't so cool. I have brought that very colorful, vivid image back up hundreds of times and I was scared to death what "if ing " my self to death about this happening and everything going wrong. I spoke to my surgeon about this and he told me to have this conversation with my anesthesiologist prior to surgery. But that meant waiting to the day of surgery! I got a handle on my unrealistic fear. The day of surgery, I told the anesthesiologist, he said we won't let/make that happen. I spoke to the nurse anethesist and she spent so much time reassuring, explaining and then giving me a mild sedative. By the time I had told my story to both, I was fine, ready to go and get my life back. I welcomed the sedative to help with the wait time before surgery. I guess my moral to this story is " be careful what you wish for. Because somewhere, somehow a clever anesthesiologist may take you literally"!

You will be great! I am 3 weeks post op and doing so good.
I have a walk in shower and we couldn't get anything in there for me to sit on. So, with my walker and husband just outside the shower door I stood and took a shower. The first shower was day 3. I was a little light headed, but did fine. All the showed since I have gotten better. No problems. Never have enjoyed a shower so much in my life!

I too have a walk in shower and small so could not fit in a shower chair. The first 2 times I had my husband in the bathroom with me in case but had no real issues getting in and showering and getting out. It was also easier for me turning in the shower to get out with less things in there. I also kept a chair right outside the shower door in case I did not feel well so I could quickly sit down to dry off (I actually used the 3 in one over the toilet with the lid down makes a good chair with arm rests). It was a quick shower but so wonderful.

Thanks @opie and @leejaa for your tips and suggestions for the shower. Your bone story is the stuff of nightmares, opie. I definitely would have completely freaked out had it been me. I don't think I could have contemplated another one after that.

Hi Delphi.
Quick word to wish you all the best day after tomorrow.
I await your post op posts.
Rest, Relax, Be calm as possible.
Great days await you.
Joe.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics