BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Awaiting revision and very scared

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tabbykit, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not at all. As I said, I really don't buy the adhesions myth. So I also don't buy that your 'salvation' is to have them all cut out. In my opinion, most of the problems you are experiencing are do to nothing more than swelling, stiffness and pain.

2. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Thank you @Josephine, but if not adhesions then what is physically causing the lack of ROM - it is about 30/60 now I am told although it was max 10/90 about 6 months after the TKR 4 years ago. I have exercised, stretched and had physio for much of the last 4 years but now it is so much worse (and now loose apparently hence the revision).

Another question if I may - had pre-op assessment yesterday, spoke to physio and she said they do only active physio (towel under knee, bending leg while on bed etc), and that I would go home with a bend of 90. I was amazed as I certainly did not have that the first time around. Is this the norm?

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

No it's not the norm.
    In my experience, it's nearly always due to swelling and pain.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I agree with Josephine, no, that’s not the norm. You may or may not go home with a bend of 90, but many of us don’t.

It can take weeks to months to get your bend back fully, it’s a slow process and depends upon your post op swelling and the rate at which your body heals. The timeframe is not important, letting your body heal at its own rate is important.

Don’t listen to any medical personnel who tells you that you must get your ROM back by a certain date. I am 2 years post op and still seeing improvement in my ROM!

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
    Time for pain and swelling to settle.
    Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
    along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

5. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Thank you @Jockette. Can I ask you - my surgery is this Monday 17th, and I will chart my recovery on here. Do I start a new thread?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@tabbykit Just before your op date start your recovery thread in the knee replacement recovery area. If you need any help with this give a shout. Once you are on the recovery side keep all your updates and questions on your recovery thread so that we have a history in one place in case we need to advise you.

Not long now!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Thanks @Jaycey, and can I ask another question? it's now Friday, my op is Monday, and during this last week I've been having some sinus issues - usually have in winter and when it's damp. Pressure feeling, postnasal drip, but able to breathe through nose and not coughing, normal temperature etc. I called the preop assessment department and asked them if it was likely to mean op will not go ahead. They said it sounded ok but the anaesthetist will decide on the day. I am a using a sinus rinse daily (like neti pot), using facial steamer. Any advice re this? I would hate for it to be postponed now I'm all geared up!

8. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I understand not wanting the surgery to be postponed, so am sending good wishes your way. If, however, it needs to be rescheduled due to illness, it will be hard but you'll get through it. I don't have any advice as to how to get better fast, as, if you've caught a virus, it has to run its course. Is it possible it's seasonal allergies and not a virus? Anyway, best wishes and feel better soon! Please keep us posted.

9. tabbykit

tabbykit member

@lovetocookandsew Sorry maybe I phrased it wrong, I was not asking advice on how to get better (although that would be great if I could do it in 2 days!) I guess I meant does anyone know how likely it is that the surgery could be cancelled because of it? I am not coughing, can breathe through my nose, no fever, but some sinus pressure pain and postnasal drip. I have this regularly when the weather is damp (so pretty much always as I live in Scotland!)

10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@tabbykit It is highly unlikely that your sinus issues will have any impact on your surgery. If you have no fever then please don't worry about this at all!

• Like Like x 1