Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Standard Shoulder Replacement Avoided this for so long

jbevel

Country
United States United States
I'm forcing myself to post this, so that I mark this decision in time. Shoulder pain has been my existence for too long now. I tore my Right Shoulder Labrum both front and back and had it repaired in Oct. 2016. The first repair didn't do so well as it tore again and required another repair in June 2017. I was told that if anything happened after this, that I would need a Total Shoulder Replacement. I've made it this far, but the pain has seriously escalated again. I can actually feel another tear in the specific spot (may sound weird). I can barely sleep at night - operating on 4 hours of sleep a night, just isn't working. I'm now heading back to my primary care physician and I'm going to ask for another referral. After much prayer, I believe this is the correct next step. Just praying that I get the right surgeon - as I won't have my prior surgeon do the replacement.
Anyways, I just needed to write this down and have a connection to others that are going through something similar.

dapplega

Country
Hello @jbevel
Not sure where you are located or how much research you have had opportunity to do. There is a procedure call Ream and Run that a few on this board have had and there is a FB page dedicated to it. It basically is a replacement on the humeral side and a slight reaming on the glenoid. It avoids the plastic component which traditionally is the weak link in shoulder replacement. Dr. Matsen is the pioneer and he is based out of the UW in Seattle. One of his students, Dr. Carofino is located closer to the East Coast. There are a lot of confusing options out there that I'm finding from my own research and frankly the data isn't available for shoulders like it is hips and knees. Feel free to ask questions as you progress...

OP
OP
J

jbevel

Country
Thank you @dapplega Very interesting info. I didn't know about this specific procedure, though I don't think its a good fit for me. I saw my Primary Care Doc this morning who ordered an MRI and is referring me to the best Shoulder Surgeon in my local area. I'm continuing my research. Appreciate your comment.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @jbevel and welcome to BoneSmart. We can help you get through your shoulder replacement and can even help with some options for a surgeon. I see you are near Sacramento. Did you plan on traveling there for an experienced surgeon? You will want someone who is experienced and specializes in shoulders if at all possible. When you get your referral, post the surgeon's name and I'd be happy to take a look at him (or her). Be sure and tag me if you want me to see your response quickly. To do that, you type the "at" sign (@) followed immediately by my username....like this.... @Jamie.

My shoulder is a year old now and doing great. We have a number of folks who have had this surgery with excellent results. So I believe you'll be very glad you've made this decision so you can get your life back.

OP
OP
J

jbevel

Country
Hi @Jamie Thanks for the note. I'm still waiting for my updated MRI, but have been referred to Dr. Matthew Tweet in the Sacramento area. Appreciate the help!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It would appear Dr. Tweet does a fair number of shoulders. When you see him be sure to ask how many replacements he does a year and how many cases like yours has he successfully done. I think you'll have a better feel for his expertise once you meet with him face to face.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horseygal
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom