BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

AVN of Hip, How to Find a Surgeon?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Tilly91, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Tilly91

Tilly91 new member

United States United States
    Hi, I just got the news that I have AVN of my hip and have an appointment scheduled for next week with a surgeon. I have no info at this time about stage of damage or surgical options--my orthopod mentioned replacement but he is not a surgeon. The appt is scheduled at my medical provider, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, but I will want to get a second opinion before I schedule any surgical treatment. Luckily I live in a medically rich area with Stanford and UCSF nearby. Does anyone on this forum have experience (good and bad) with doctors in my area for AVN of the hip that you would be willing to share? Or any suggestions about how to find a hip surgeon with AVN experience? Thanks in advance

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Tilly and welcome to BoneSmart! Most cases of AVN require a total hip replacement. There is an alternative called a Core Decompression of the hip but it's generally for younger patients and anyway, isn't exactly crowned in glory when it comes to success! Most patients I've come across that have that generally end up needing it to be revised to a THR anyway. So my suggestion is that you go straight to a hip replacement. You can read about that on our website here BoneSmart.org.

Here's some more helpful information

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

3. SelfHelp

SelfHelp junior member

Hi Tilly, I too live in the SFbay area; I used data at below links to find the OS in my area with highest number of THR surgeries and lowest complication.
    https://www.checkbook.org/surgeonratings/Hip-or-Knee-Replacement-Surgery/CA/?Page=1
    https://projects.propublica.org/surgeons/state/CA/procedure/8151
    I chose Dr. John Dearborn at Washington Hospital in Fremont. He is a high-volume surgeon. He does 400+ THP per year http://dearbornassoc.com/
    I also consultation with Dr. Huddleston at Stanford Hospital, but decided against Stanford, since the hospital does not have a joint replacement center, the staff there are not trained for and specialized in treating joint replacement patients. At a joint replacement center, like at Washington Hospital joint replacement patients are kept separate from other patients and the staff only deal with joint replacements.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Tilly91 One of our members who is now recovering from THR lives in the SF Bay Area. I'll tag him to see if he recommends his surgeon @Wayfarer .

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    Thanks Jaycey, Tilly, I am with Kaiser and had my surgery in Redwood City, CA. My surgeon was/is Terry Lowry, MD. There were three choices for me I believe at Redwood City. I mean I don’t know if I can research and pick another specific doctor in another region/area of the Kaiser system. Dr. Lowry ONLY does anterior approach which is what I was after. So far so good I think. Family tell me I’m doing really well; I always say, knock on wood.

I’m two weeks post op and need to make an update in my recovery thread. Also, a tennis teammate (I haven’t played in over a year) of mine had work done outside the Kaiser system and was really sold on his OS. I will get his name and facility here in the Bay Area. My tennis teammate in part convinced me to go the anterior surgical route.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Tilly91

Tilly91 new member

Thanks Jacey, Wayfarer (I am not in Kaiser insurance and would appreciate the name of your firend's surgeon), Josephine, and SelfHelp for your responses. I just saw the PAMF surgeon, Dr. Page, and my MRI. Yes, core decompression is not an option for me--too much necrosis and some bone collapse. Dr Page operates at El Camino Hospital and has been doing the anterior approach for 15 years. He was very good at explaining both the anterior and posterior approaches and posterior looks like a major drawback. He said that El Camino only does the anterior approach and everyhting is set up specifically for it--specialized operating tables, etc. Also only overnight in the hospital and shorter rehab, are a big plus for the anterior approach.

I have a second opinion appt scheduled with Dr Goodman at the Stanford Joint Replacement Center the end of Feb, then I will decide. I will specifically ask about the post op at Stanford, (Thanks selfhelp for that info). I had 5 vertebrae spinal fusion done at Stanford almost 3 years ago and was on an ortho unit and was very pleased with their care.

TY selfhelp for those websites that rate the surgeons and the hospitals. The data stops in 2013/2014 so it is not reflective of new materials and procedures but they were a good starting point to evaluate the surgeons and to ask some questions--both Dr Page and Goodman had 5 star raings but the number of hip replacements attributed to Dr Page is off by a factor of 10.

Before I had spinal fusion I learned a lot from other scoliosis patients thru the forums for scoliosis so I really appreciate your tips and the links you found during your respective research. The more I know the better my questions...so ty all again. Keep posting if you think of anything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    Hey Tilly, weird/odd, I've been communicating with my tennis teammate (former? I haven't played in over a year) and have asked him twice about his surgeon in the Bay Area to no avail!

...Edit: correction Tilly, I went through my old emails. My teammate and I had the conversation AFTER his surgery and when I knew things were getting bad on my end after an X-ray, late October 2017.

So he used Nicholas H. Mast MD in San Francisco, raved about him, here's the clinic's website: https://www.sfhips.com/

If it matters, I think they are part of Dignity Health.

Hope that's of help.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  8. Tilly91

Tilly91 new member

Thanks so much Wayfarer. I will definitely check out Dr. Mast.