Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR AVN and THR

jellyjoints

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having THR in a couple of weeks. The consultant I saw last week said my x-ray showed advanced AVN. I was wondering if anyone on the forum could say whether AVN complicates surgery and/or recovery? Or does it not matter as the replacement will take care of everything?!?

Best
Jellyjoints

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Or does it not matter as the replacement will take care of everything?!?
That's right Jellyjoints - the implant replaces all the destructive AVN. And no it doesn't necessarily complicate surgery unless you have other issues such as a collapse of the hip due to AVN.

Worry not - surgeons see AVN damage day in and day out. They are experts at all this.

OP
OP
J

jellyjoints

Country
Thanks @Jaycey

The x-ray was a bit of a shocker. Even the consultant was surprised at the amount of deterioration since the x-ray in January. As you say, I'm sure they deal with this all the time.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Hips can go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. Glad you don't have long to wait!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hey @jellyjoints
Stopping by to say :hi: and wish you all the best tomorrow.
On your way to becoming a happy pain free hippy! Please let us know how you’re doing once you’re settled in at home and resting comfortably.
Will look forward to hearing from you soon and following your healing journey. :)

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the recovery side of the forum when you are able.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Blessings for a smooth, uneventful surgery with good post op pain control. Looking forward to your first update on the recovery/healing side when you’re up to it.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Bye bye hip pain.:yes!:
See you on the Healing Side

OP
OP
J

jellyjoints

Country
Hi there thank you for all your good wishes I needed them!

Op was grim as they needed to manipulate my leg to give me an extra 3.5cm to get my legs even so I was a mass of bruises when I came out of surgery. But I am now healing well and new hip is fantastic. I'm 4 weeks post surgery.

Only problem I have is a swollen ankle and some heel pain. I'm still wearing a compression stocking and taking blood thinners so unlikely to be DVT. Has anyone else has a similar problem? I'm icing and raising my foot but open to any other suggestions. I've started Physio and am doing exercises religiously (maybe too much) but I am keen to get well!

JJ

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom